Minor league baseball in Tallahassee?

psycuda

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't it a little hard to base Tallahassee's willingness to support a Professional Minor league team based on the attendance of a unversity's program. It just seems there are more than Seminole fans in Tallahassee that may be interested in baseball.

echo? lol

The point is that Tally couldn't support Arena2 football nor hockey. I doubt the single-A baseball, if that, would be supported here.

Yea, but Arena Football is like the minor leagues of NFL per se. Arena2 (whatever the official name is) is just dragging out something that worked (AFL) too much. Same with minor league hockey teams. Most everyone will go to a couple of baseball games a season, even if just for socializing.

The point is that Tally couldn't support Arena2 football nor hockey. I doubt the single-A baseball, if that, would be supported here.

IMO, Tallahassee could support the AF2 Thunder. It is no one's fault but the management/ownership of the team why they are no longer with us. There was little marketing if any. Never an attempt to reach out to local schools and the local youth who would have been the main supporters. They relied toooo heavily on TV News and the Newspaper for their publicity and spent virtually nothing on serious advertisement. No business can survive with that type investing in a community / or lack there of.

It's not the community's fault that they were no longer here. I'd say for a team promoted only through news to have an average attendance of 4000 patrons per game isn't bad. Just image what would've happened if they actually spent some money.

One things for sure, I was at every game in the 2nd and 3rd years they were here!

:yahoo:

So basicly Tallahassee's fan support or lack thereof has nothing to do with the FACT that the Scorpions, Thunder, and Tigersharks where unsuccessful here.

I'm starting to hate reading this forum. It feels like everytime I post something it is negative and I'm truely not a negative person. I love Tallahassee as much as everyone else here, but I get the feeling that many here think that this city is something that it's not.

So basicly Tallahassee's fan support or lack thereof has nothing to do with the FACT that the Scorpions, Thunder, and Tigersharks where unsuccessful here.

I'm starting to hate reading this forum. It feels like everytime I post something it is negative and I'm truely not a negative person. I love Tallahassee as much as everyone else here, but I get the feeling that many here think that this city is something that it's not.

No man, not negative at all. I defintely agree that at least half of the blame for the failure of those teams is lack of fan support. Kind of like the Expos being moved from Montreal. Everyone knew they were there, they just didnt bother to go see them. The end decision is in their hands.

All I am saying is that baseball is something people tend to rally around more than other sports, and minor league teams tend to have firm loyalty within their communities. It may not work, but I think its worth the investment to see. If I lived in Tallahassee all the time, I would defintely go more so than FSU games b/c Im really not an FSU fan ( as apparent from the name lol). I would be very willing to go watch, say, the Atlanta Braves Double A team, and would probably get season tickets.

I see what you mean about people thinking the city is something that its not, but I dont live there, and have no real personal interests in whats going on (as in things that effect me, I am interested in whats happening). All my views are as an outsider who resides there through some of the year.

Not that this is a definite indicator of whether minor league ball would work or not here, but there are several metros Tally's size that have minor league teams. Montgomery, AL (almost exactly our metro size) and Columbus, GA (actually smaller than us) come to my mind first.

BHC,

I don't think your comments are negative at all. Long ago, after suffering the heartbreak of having the Tallahassee Thunder leave town, I blamed the fans for not showing the support necessary to keep the team. I later learned, it wasn't the community's fault, but the Thunder had virtually no investment here.

• 3 weeks later...

Tallahassee Heat (9 year old baseball) wins the Dizzy Dean World Series!

Finish order

Dizzy Dean Baseball website

They were covered in the Democrat this week pretty well. They took it all the way - and my cousin-in-law had a couple of home runs as part of the effort!

Not really about minor league BB, but we should be proud nonetheless and I was not about to start a new thread for it!

Yep Albany. Tallahassee needs a stadium. They cant play at FSU, FAMU, & TCC. They cant sell beer at those stadium. So until the city or the county come together at build some sort of ball field to hold 2000 people we will never have a shot. Albany already has a field.

^ and there lies the problem, i don't think there is any interest on the part of the city/county to build a suitable small minor league park that would be required by a lower level (A/Ind.) minor league team. they're rehabilitating cascades park in downtown tally and leaving out the perfect item, an intimate minor league ball park... so the foreseeable future we'll be on the outside looking in... :angry:

^ and there lies the problem, i don't think there is any interest on the part of the city/county to build a suitable small minor league park that would be required by a lower level (A/Ind.) minor league team. they're rehabilitating cascades park in downtown tally and leaving out the perfect item, an intimate minor league ball park... so the foreseeable future we'll be on the outside looking in... :angry:

I agree. I dont see the city/county doing anything in the future either.

I agree. I dont see the city/county doing anything in the future either.

Maybe if on the off nights they turned the ball park into a large drive-in theatre we could get our movie buff commissioner Proctor to support the idea? Get them to serve Red Lobster take-out food and I'm sure it would pass.

Maybe if on the off nights they turned the ball park into a large drive-in theatre we could get our movie buff commissioner Proctor to support the idea? Get them to serve Red Lobster take-out food and I'm sure it would pass.

how about place a red lobster in the new ballpark? Red Lobster Field? Home of the Big Bend Fightin' Oysters? Then every Friday Night have a Movie in the Park Night after the game. I think we're found the winning combination. :thumbsup:

*sigh*

I think the success of the new football team(s) will play largely into any future baseball team. With Tally's track record on supporting teams, success here is a must.

i agree, and as a result i'll be putting my $$$ into making sure Tallahassee's AIFL team has butts in the seats. I plan to buy 2 season tickets.

Archived