Minor league baseball in Tallahassee?

psycuda

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll deffinately go, but at that time of year season tickets may be out of the question. With grad school work load and FSU basketball (which is still priority #1) a couple of nights a week, my feeling is I won't make it to all of them.

Well you known FSU Basketball and these games won't clash. They'll be playing in the same Arena.

I know that but what I'm saying is with a heavy class load, there is no way I'm going out 3 nights a week. Usually in this time frame there are 2 bball games a week and that's on top of the one night I set aside for my two young kids. As already stated, I plan on going to a few games but there is no way I'm paying for season tickets with such a hectic schedule as is (the wife works overnight as well). Sorry to let everyone down.

I know I'm in the minority here but school, family, and FSU athletics will come before a minor league arena football team.

I know that but what I'm saying is with a heavy class load, there is no way I'm going out 3 nights a week. Usually in this time frame there are 2 bball games a week and that's on top of the one night I set aside for my two young kids. As already stated, I plan on going to a few games but there is no way I'm paying for season tickets with such a hectic schedule as is (the wife works overnight as well). Sorry to let everyone down.

I know I'm in the minority here but school, family, and FSU athletics will come before a minor league arena football team.

I am with you, but minus the school part.

• 7 months later...

found this letter to the editor while poking around on the 'net, it's to the Tallahassee Democrat.

A baseball park

would draw tourists

Count me among those opposed to spending funds on a performing-arts center.

Using bed taxes to fund this facility will do little if anything to bring more visitors to Tallahassee.

A better use for these funds would be to construct a minor-league baseball stadium. A stadium would at least sell more hotel rooms for the 70 or so nights the visiting team is in town. Tallahassee would also be mentioned on the newscasts in other league cities when they play the other teams. Baseball would promote this city and bring in more visitors than yet another performing-arts center that would never be able to even cover its operating costs.

MARK PURVIS

[email protected]

not to beat a dead horse, but i agree with this guy. while i want a performing arts center that is world class, i'd love to see a baseball stadium first!!!

found this letter to the editor while poking around on the 'net, it's to the Tallahassee Democrat.

A baseball park

would draw tourists

Count me among those opposed to spending funds on a performing-arts center.

Using bed taxes to fund this facility will do little if anything to bring more visitors to Tallahassee.

A better use for these funds would be to construct a minor-league baseball stadium. A stadium would at least sell more hotel rooms for the 70 or so nights the visiting team is in town. Tallahassee would also be mentioned on the newscasts in other league cities when they play the other teams. Baseball would promote this city and bring in more visitors than yet another performing-arts center that would never be able to even cover its operating costs.

MARK PURVIS

[email protected]

not to beat a dead horse, but i agree with this guy. while i want a performing arts center that is world class, i'd love to see a baseball stadium first!!!

it kind of a chicken before the egg argument... without a stadium no minor league team will make an offer... but it kind of hard for the city/county to build one without an offer... i still do not understand why TCC/FSU/FAMU will not allow a minor league team to use their facilities. The new South Coast League will be playing in a mix of municipal and college stadiums. If a Tally team could use one of the above the problems would be solved!

it kind of a chicken before the egg argument... without a stadium no minor league team will make an offer... but it kind of hard for the city/county to build one without an offer... i still do not understand why TCC/FSU/FAMU will not allow a minor league team to use their facilities. The new South Coast League will be playing in a mix of municipal and college stadiums. If a Tally team could use one of the above the problems would be solved!

I'm the one that wrote the letter to the editor. There is a new minor league that is trying to start up for 2008, the Atlantic Coast League. I've been in contact with the head of the league and they would love to have a team here. He was focused on trying to place a team at FSU. I told him that I did not think FSU would be receptive (still try though) and that he should also consider TCC. He told me that he would contact them. Keep your fingers crossed. They will an independent league. Not the same as affiliated ball, but would do for now.

I'm the one that wrote the letter to the editor. There is a new minor league that is trying to start up for 2008, the Atlantic Coast League. I've been in contact with the head of the league and they would love to have a team here. He was focused on trying to place a team at FSU. I told him that I did not think FSU would be receptive (still try though) and that he should also consider TCC. He told me that he would contact them. Keep your fingers crossed. They will an independent league. Not the same as affiliated ball, but would do for now.

Did not mention FAMU. I was at a game at TCC that day, so had that place on my mind I guess. He had mentioned FSU, which has never seemed to thrilled about the idea. Also suggested he contact Devoe Moore and explained his efforts to bring baseball to town. Last contact with the guy was about 10 days ago when he said he would contact TCC. His name is Michael Harden, President of the Atlantic Coast league at atlanticcoastleague.org. I did a search for minor league baseball and Tallahassee a few weeks ago and saw a news release on their website where they wanted to put a team in Tally, so I e-mailed him for an update. I'll check in with him from time to time and see what progress is being made if any, and report it here.

Did not mention FAMU. I was at a game at TCC that day, so had that place on my mind I guess. He had mentioned FSU, which has never seemed to thrilled about the idea. Also suggested he contact Devoe Moore and explained his efforts to bring baseball to town. Last contact with the guy was about 10 days ago when he said he would contact TCC. His name is Michael Harden, President of the Atlantic Coast league at atlanticcoastleague.org. I did a search for minor league baseball and Tallahassee a few weeks ago and saw a news release on their website where they wanted to put a team in Tally, so I e-mailed him for an update. I'll check in with him from time to time and see what progress is being made if any, and report it here.

Once again another reason for Tally or Leon County to build a 2000 or so seat baseball stadium. It could be used for High Schools and summer tournaments. I think that would ever be the only way we would get a minor league team in Tally.

Weren't we pushing for ideas for the new fairgrounds to be located off of CC SW not long ago. What happened to this talk?

And as far as the Current Fairgrounds being used as a Sports Complex for the City... that would be perfect! We've already got Capital Stadium out there, which I'd love to see spruced up a little bit... just a tad.

And there we can also have a baseball and soccer complex to make it the center of championship sports in this city. And like you said sbd... that would likely be the only way for us to lure in the minor leauge team.

I've offered to help the league in any way that I can. At this point, I'm waiting to hear if the league president has had contact with TCC. I'm sure the Tallahassee Sports Foundation or someone has pushed this issue before. Not sure why they haven't had any success. I personally would love to see a new ballpark downtown or on Devoe's property. One problem with the campus sites is that I don't believe they can sell alcohol, though I'm not sure.

Are there any current fields that could have stands built up around them, such as at Tom Brown?

My concern about building first is that you could wind up like St. Pete -- holding a field built on the cheap with no team for several years that is used primarily as leverage by existing teams that threaten to relocate. Then, even if you do eventually get a team, no one likes the field because it was built based on hope rather than reality.

Archived