Oxford, Mississippi

tombarnes

Wow, this is one heck of a increase in population. The question is ... can they support it with the needed services?

http://www.goOxford.com

Annexation?

The City of Oxford may annex several areas in the near future. In spite of the additional costs associated with the annexation, the move would likely increase the city's population by about 5,000.

The Oxford Eagle

• 1 month later...

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Luxury Hotel on Top of Parking Garage?

This is an interesting idea. I would love to see the proposal bafore I could comment on the design. FOr the moment I will hold out a tentative "interesting" before saying more....

Oxford Eagle

This could be wonderful or awful....Which will it be?

The parking garage will be underground. You won't be able to see it. The developers of the Alluvian are developing this hotel. It will be pretty much the same, right down to the Viking Culinary Institute and full spa with sweet tea massages and Mississippi mud wraps. Another four star is going up right off the Square on Jackson across from where Forrester's Bar used to be. It will also have condos and connect with the city's new pathways project.

It's great to see that sort of urban design happening in Oxford. I expect that Oxford will be seeing more activity in its historic downtown core very soon.

Downtown is nearly all built out. The new Alluvian-like hotel will be going up soon behind city hall. There is only room for a few more projects of this type. The city restricts height so that no building can be taller than the courthouse, so you can't go up. The city recently hired Central Parking to do a study. Eventually all parking will have to be converted to pay parking and the city will have to build one or more garages. An extensive public transportation system is under study and probably will happen within five years. In ten years, downtown Oxford will be all built out. That is why the "New Square" is so important. Also, I hope design standards are extended along University Ave so that downtown spreads all the way to Hwy 7.

I'm really happy to see this project moving forward. Oxford is possibly the most progressive town in the state of Mississippi. I'd love to see it developed with care, and I hope that this project is as good as it sounds. Please post renderings the minute you see them! Thanks.

NEW YORK TIMES

September 29, 2006

At Ole Miss, the Tailgaters Never Lose

By WILLIAM L. HAMILTON

HELEN CRAIG, or Mrs. C. York Craig Jr., as she is more formally known, leveled a well-seasoned eye at me as the bluegrass band set up in the background. L. Rodney Chamblee, one of her 60 tailgating tent mates of friends and family, slipped a large bloody mary into my hand. Mrs. Craig stood under a tall blue tent rapidly filling with people and food, and underscored the eye with a smile that held the history of the South, and its hospitality, wide and deep, behind it.

• 2 weeks later...

Pathways Project work to begin soon

Sue Lynn Mills

Staff Writer

After more than a year of planning, the Oxford Pathways Committee expects to soon see some construction on its project to build bike-and-foot paths throughout the city.

The Pathways Project route will run from McElroy Drive and Molly Barr Road to the north, and south through town along the old railroad bed and the new Gertrude Ford Boulevard. Two new bike-and-foot bridges will span Highway 6 at Old Taylor Road, and the path will run along a TVA powerline easement to rejoin the unpaved railroad bed where it leads south of town to Thacker Mountain. The entire route from north Oxford to Thacker Mountain is about 6.8 miles long.

Last month, the Oxford Board of Aldermen accepted a bid of $1,065,115 from Mike Bennett of Bennett Construction Co. The city had been forced to re-bid the project to get some local construction companies interested in participating in the building of the paths.

The city has $1,165,960 earmarked for the project from a combination of funds: $243,329 from a 2004 bond issue, $753,846 in federal dollars and $168,785, which the Mississippi Department of Transportation had reimbursed to Oxford for overpaying on Phase III of the Jackson Avenue road project.

Construction on the project could start as early as the end of the month because all the city needs is MDOT to approve Bennett as the official contractor, Kevin McCloud of Elliott & Britt Engineering told the Pathways Committee on Wednesday.

A tentative timeline for the project includes starting some of the paving now while the weather is not as cold as it will be in January and February. Paving may first be done on McElroy. During the colder months the contractor will work on getting the old railroad bed prepared for the lanes and work on the gully by Whirlpool.

The total project could be finished as early as May.

• 2 weeks later...

Ava Hotel

Fred Carl of the Viking Range Corp. and Jondie Bracken are moving forward with their plans for a "boutique" hotel near the Square. I love the idea, but I'm a bit concerned that the building will look forced - not like a natural outgrowth of the town in any way. I hope not. The Alluvian in Greenwood was done with a great deal of sensitivity (of course they had a real and historic building to work with). I hope the same success can be found here. I'd prefer a shallower roofline, perhaps concealed behind a parapet, less fussy detail and more emphasis on the proportion of the structure. Is it too late for the residents of Oxford to ask for modifications?

The Clarion Ledger

I like it even less in the rendering on the website. I hope it's not too late for a few design changes. The roof is out of proportion with the rest of the building. I have no doubt that it will be a well managed hotel, but I would like to see something less like a miniature Opryland Hotel.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Housing Demand Strong on Ole Miss Campus

A new 1000 unit dormitory complex is under discussion, but it's possible that the university will implement a kind of lottery system for on-campus housing for non-freshmen students. A plan is expected in the near future. Demand for campus housing has been remarkably strong lately.

The Sun Herald - Tupelo Daily Journal article within

Housing has been extremely poorly planned at Ole Miss. No new dorm rooms have added in two decades, although the university has grown drastically since then. In fact, they even closed down the best dorm on campus in an extremely short-sighted decision. They could build 1000 apartments and fill them up immediately at $500 per bed. I think the only thing stopping them is the alcohol policy, which is about to change.

Housing has been extremely poorly planned at Ole Miss. No new dorm rooms have added in two decades, although the university has grown drastically since then. In fact, they even closed down the best dorm on campus in an extremely short-sighted decision. They could build 1000 apartments and fill them up immediately at $500 per bed. I think the only thing stopping them is the alcohol policy, which is about to change.

Which dorm did they close? I lived in Faulkner Hall. Has that become classrooms now? Faulkner (or was it the variant without the "u") was a great place to live- right across from the dining hall. I also lived in the grim Twin Towers. It's time they imploded the latter. They did have some ugly ones. Powers, Kincannon....blech.

Archived