Oxford, Mississippi

tombarnes

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While this new development might be bright and shiny for a couple of years, it flies in the face of the better development trends of recent years. Instead of adding to the momentum in the downtown area, it provides more sprawl and yet another drain of money and activity downtown. The wrong development in the wrong place. I had hoped for more out of Oxford. The continuing trends downtown, however, do point to the possibility of something better. That something, however, certainly ins't this project. Too bad.

As Oxford is said to be one of the more progressive cities in Mississippi, why are they allowing this sort of development? The money received in taxes can't be all that enticing. Don't they realize that the small town/small city charm is what makes people want to move there in the first place? How many towns have been ruined by careless development? Must Oxford be counted in their tattered ranks?

As Oxford is said to be one of the more progressive cities in Mississippi, why are they allowing this sort of development? The money received in taxes can't be all that enticing. Don't they realize that the small town/small city charm is what makes people want to move there in the first place? How many towns have been ruined by careless development? Must Oxford be counted in their tattered ranks?

• 4 months later...

Ole Miss to Get New Athletic Building

A new building with practice courts for basketball will apparently be built at Ole Miss. While the building isn't awful, I'd be happier with these new buildings if they didn't look like something off the campus of Heritage USA. I understand their wanting to keep the traditional look of red brick, but I'm rather tired of the awkward pediments on everything. A little modernism might actually help the campus.

The Clarion Ledger

Ole Miss to Get New Athletic Building

A new building with practice courts for basketball will apparently be built at Ole Miss. While the building isn't awful, I'd be happier with these new buildings if they didn't look like something off the campus of Heritage USA. I understand their wanting to keep the traditional look of red brick, but I'm rather tired of the awkward pediments on everything. A little modernism might actually help the campus.

The Clarion Ledger

Point taken. I wouldn't mind good modern architecture. Buildings like the Twin Towers, the old biology building and so forth could well disappear with good effect. By the way, are they thinking of imploding the Twin Towers any time soon? I hated those buildings when I was there.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
Perhaps this has come up before, but I don't remember it ... more crappy development for Oxford, on the worst street in Oxford.

I present Oxford Galleria!

There is an amazing amount of asphalt in their site plan and in the properties surrounding it. How many years before this becomes run-down and undesirable?

Archived