Imaginon

TravisNC

The arena is nice enough, what I am cheering is the banishment of the surface parking lots!  Infill, yay! 

Anyone have up to date plans or renderings of the childrens museum next door?  In fact, anyone know what the premise of that thing will be?  I kind of thought that was the plan of discovery place, to be a children's learning museum... which is need of dire update as well.

Here's a rendering and floorplan for the Children's Learning Center. I think it looks pretty cool.

learningcenter.jpg

learningcenter2.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for the renderings of the Children's Learning Center! I have been looking for those!

I hope that the Children's Lerning Center will take some of the 'Childness' away from Discovery Place so that Discovery Place can expand and become a larger place for adults and other people (yet still have that 'you are always learning as a child' atmosphere.

Also, take notice of how quickly the CITY built that new 5th Street. Had it been the state we could be waiting for up to another year for it.

You're welcome! They have a website with more information though I didn't see anymore pictures. Here it is: ImaginOn It's always good to see more cultural venues being built downtown. I'd really like to see an impressive, "big city style" building downtown to house the Mint Museum. The current home for the Mint Museum is a little sad for a city of Charlotte's size. And, as utcltjay said, it's good to see surface parking lots disappear. The Arena and Learning Center took out 5 blocks of them I think.

• 5 months later...

Is the Chilren's Learning Center in addition to the Discovery Place, or it it a separate entity?

I was at the Discovery Place yesterday... it didn't seem like it was that out of date to me.

However, Charlotte has made much progress in removing surface lots. The Discovery Place had some OLD aerials of Charlotte... like 1985 or something... Before most of the current major buildings, and all you could see was surface lots.

• 1 year later...

wow... this project has gotten very little press over the "years" on UP. just a few mentions of how people don't like the design, or don't like the name in a few other threads :).

Anyway, this project brings a kid-oriented project to first ward and the trolley corridor. iand is helping to extend the downtown towards the first ward neighborhood. Before it was yet another surface parking lot.

This project has been in the works for a long time, and will really help to anchor the plans for levine's eventual first ward urban village.

The design takes some getting used to, and they were really ill informed to make the 6th street side seem like the "back" (they should have used an omnifacetted designed). i am convinced the the base of the metal-sided theatre at 6th and brevard will have graffiti on it often because it looksl ike the side of cheap warehouse or barn.

but not only will this bring lots of children to first ward, but it gives a place for the children and teens in first ward place and the inner city neighborhoods nearby a positive place hang out and learn.

I was wondering why this thread had so few post and is opening today. Hopefully more people will visit ImaginOn than people people discuss it here.

yeah, it apparently never had its own thread. these were buried in the arena thread, and were hard to find, but i extracted them today so if people visit it now that it is open, we'll have a place to post about it.

The design takes some getting used to, and they were really ill informed to make the 6th street side seem like the "back" (they should have used an omnifacetted designed). i am convinced the the base of the metal-sided theatre at 6th and brevard will have graffiti on it often because it looksl ike the side of cheap warehouse or barn.

Dub, when the design charettes were going on in 2000, I was on the panel. One of the biggest obsticles to overcome was where to put the "butt"of the building. Originally, it was to be on west side (trolley line) untill the city stepped in and said absolutely not. They insisted that the rail corridor not be the the service entrance. Given the circumstances, I think it turned out very well. After all, lumber and staging materials have to be delivered all the time, not to mention access to the underground parking garage. There just wasn't a way to do it and keep everyone happy.

I'm just happy it got built at all. Finally a structure in Charlotte that is forward and progressive! Add to that the fact that it will be Charlotte's first LEED certified public building and we've got oursevles a winner. Everything in the place is made of recycled materials.

Then only thing I'm disappointed in are things that were value engineered out of the building. The stainless steel siding on the exterior of the theatre was to have been uplit at night and change colors very slowly. It was way cool. Now it sits basically dark. Oh well, at least it's something they can add later. It was also to have been the "nameplate" of the building with a big neon sign. Also value engineered out of existence. As far as becoming a place for grafitti, it is better than the side of the Ommi Hotel, the back side of Founders Hall, and the long windowless brick wall of the Church St facade of Discovery Place.

I was uptown today and was very excited to see the turnout. There were a lot of parents and kids.

As a part of this demographic I can attest to the fact that we are always looking for new venues to take our kids to and are very willing to shell out a few bucks in the process. An entrepreneur could be very successful in uptown if he or she were to do a project geared to this demographic. Also an article in the Observer mentioned how Discovery Place would upfit its facililty to gear it more towards young teens and adults to include a 3-D theater and more exhibits highlighting electronic gadgets and gizmos. This could only serve to improve uptown as it broadens its appeal to more and more different ages.

Ken Lewis was a huge supporter and fundraiser for Imaginon. BOA was sued by an executive who didn't like being "asked" by Lewis to donate to the effort because he lived in NY. I have to assume it was true because execs don't like the black and blue that comes with sueing an employer. Those cats make so much money it didn't bother me one bit.

I know this spelling is going to be wrong...

but Desmond TuTu (?) will be there for a party too on Nov. 8th. Something to do with the United Way, about 400 people are suppose to attend. That opening party had almost 600. From what Iv'e heard Caroline Kennedy and her husband donated the money for the lighting at Imaginon.

this is the sort of thing that many don't realize when they are questioning the funding of special projects uptown... this is the very sort of project that makes charlotte "world class". by being a player and making this project happen, we tap into the energy and interests of many important people in the world.

not many would figure desmond tutu would make a showing in first ward.

Mr Levine, please build something more than parking lots soon.

took my 5 year old daughter to imaginon yesterday. it was the first time i had been inside. what an amazing space. i have been marveling at the outside of this place for sometime, but the inside is great as well. the design is nice and open with alot of natural light. parents can let their kids stray a little further and still keep an eye on them... its just a well thought-out building. also peaked in one of the auditoriums which was top notch.

The Imaginon sold out there first production, The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe. They originally had 6-shows planned. They have just added 5 more performances.

This seems amazing to me. I know the Children's Theatre did well, but I never heard of them selling out every show weeks in advance.

and at a larger theatre, too, right? that is awesome news.

so much for the idea that parents with kids won't venture downtown. if the baby-mamas can come to first ward to watch a play, i'm sure that bodes well for people feeling comfy to come downtown for the arena, or possibly taking their kids for a ride on the trolley or light rail to go to imaginon (at 7th street station).

Archived