Nashville's Signiture Tower vs Charlotte's Wachovia 5

UrbanCharlotte

Will The Signiture Tower or Wachovia 5 be taller?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Which will be

• Signiture Tower
    • Wachovia 5
    • Both will be the same height

Both of these are going to be high rises in their city. Both haven't released renderings and are expected to soon. Theres been talk that the Sig tower will be around 850 ft. Rumors have been flying around that Wachovia may be considering a new Signiture tower with everything going into the project i.e Wake Forest MBA, Bechtler Museum, Theatre and maybe be up to 70 stories. Which tower do you think will end up being taller?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't vote because I have no idea??? :D If somebody could post some proposed pictures that would be great!! I can't believe Charlotte is having ANOTHER proposed building! If this one is 70 stories and the Vue is 50 stories, and all of the other propsed buildings meet their expectations, than Charlotte's skyline will be more impressive than it already is! I'm kind of excited to see what it will be like in 2010! There is already a thread that posts all of Charlotte's proposed buildings, so ya'll can go check that out if you wanna....

Well actually I don't like the tower in those renderings. This is certainly not a dig at Nashville, but the building is nothing more than an unremarkable box with a crown bolted to the top of it. Every city in the South has buildings like this, they lack character, and they really ought to be doing something a bit better by now.

The other fault I have with this building is its streel level design. It is very people unfriendly. Long walls of granite and glass do not help with street level activity and the reality of this situation is that you end up with empty sidewalks.

I think the design overall is ok......similar to a lot of other southeastern towers, but nothing groundbreaking.....my big complaint is that they used office building architecture for a residential building....it is obvious that the design has been sitting around the architects studiofor a while waiting on a large project, and when Sig. Tower turned out to be all condo, they did a bad job making the design work.....specifically, using strong vertical lines on a tower with balconies kills the grandeur, and the top has obviously been changed to fit a terrace instead of proper setbacks.

I think it is very silly to start threads without checking out the subject matter ahead of time. There have been renderings available for The Signature Tower for many months now. That was easy to find here on UP. Another thing; it doesn't matter which tower from a respective city will be taller than another, because they will both be welcome additions to their cities. Our speculation or comparison won't change the developers' minds anyway. :rolleyes:

Well actually I don't like the tower in those renderings. This is certainly not a dig at Nashville, but the building is nothing more than an unremarkable box with a crown bolted to the top of it. Every city in the South has buildings like this, they lack character, and they really ought to be doing something a bit better by now.

The other fault I have with this building is its streel level design. It is very people unfriendly. Long walls of granite and glass do not help with street level activity and the reality of this situation is that you end up with empty sidewalks.

A grocery store and other retail at the base of this building doesn't help with street level activity?

A grocery store and other retail at the base of this building doesn't help with street level activity?

It certainly helps, but the very long walls against sidewalks hurt a great deal. This is a poor design for street level activity. A better solution would be to include a lot of smaller shops instead of these blank walls so that a variety of retail can be opened there. This is a failing of many highrises including the BofA tower in Charlotte. you get something that looks nice from the distance but does nothing for people at the street.

People are so willing to accept this kind of design because this is mostly what we see in the South. Yet people are also unhappy with what we see in these new CBD's and tend to congregate where there are much older buildings. Why not incorporate that design into the base of these skyscrapers?

I totally agree with monsoon. You need to separate the vertical tower facade from the horizontal walkways. Having walls rising straight up from the edge of a sidewalk is intimidating as well as somewhat plain, IMO. You need a row of two- or three-story shops or a plaza to separate the tower from the ground-level pedestrian traffic. This creates a buffer from the intimidation. :)

Wow :thumbsup: The Sig tower looks awesome. 635Ft 55stories. Wachovia 5 hasn't released a rendering yet, but its coming soon and they expected to finish by 2008

The diagram below shows that the Signature Tower is 635 Ft just to top of the residential area. Above that are building mechanical and a spire. Total height will be about 850 Ft! The skyscraper page lists the project at 259 meters which converts to 850 ft. The Wachovia project going to have to be really something to top that.

Signature-SRSSA_Page_04.jpg

The skyscraper page lists the project at 259 meters which converts to 850 ft.

That site has a lot of innaccuracies and can't be counted on for anything definitive. I think we have to wait until the official numbers come out from the building permits before we can count building height. That is if it is actually built. Like the Wachovia tower. Right now it appears that both are just proposals.

Archived