Metro Huntsville Development News

jmanhsv

Per The Huntsville Times, restaurateur David Martin is planning a shopping center in west Huntsville. The 11,000 square-foot center will be on Enterprise Way and Moore Farm Lane, just north of Rime Village Drive, adjacent to the SuperTarget center.

http://www.al.com/business/huntsvilletimes....xml&coll=1

It's sure small. I've seen houses larger than what is planned. I'm surprised it's even referred to as a shopping center.

Per The Huntsville Times, restaurateur David Martin is planning a shopping center in west Huntsville. The 11,000 square-foot center will be on Enterprise Way and Moore Farm Lane, just north of Rime Village Drive, adjacent to the SuperTarget center.

http://www.al.com/business/huntsvilletimes....xml&coll=1

I think a renovation of the Winn Dixie strip center next door would be a better alternative than this. Better access, visibility and location.

I guess costs are probably too much, easier to build something smaller and new.

• 2 months later...

Watercress, LLC is now being advertised in a sign on US 72 West at Jeff Rd. There are several outparcel lots fronting US 72 being advertised for sale and the main development appears to be fronting Jeff Rd. Ben Walker and Cole Walker with United Properties are listed as the developers. The Walkers must have deep pockets as they are simultaneously developing their Harris Hill property on US 72 East. However, the Watercress property (formerly the Monrovia Golf Course and a Shell station on the corner) is not nearly as large as Harris Hill and is very close to the most extensive retail development in the area, so it will probably be on a smaller scale. There are extensive rumors of a Kroger going in that location which would be logical and would enbable Kroger to tap into the growing Monrovia market. Their next closest location, the Kroger on Hughes Rd. in Madison is too far away from Monrovia - plus all the other chains, Publix, Star Market are closer.

It will be interesting to see what retail locates in the parcels facing 72 as well as the stores which will be adjacent to Kroger (or whoever the anchor is) in the main development. The entire property is in the City of Huntsville and may necessitate the widening of Jeff Rd. to the Old Monrovia intersection. North of that is in Madison County.

• 1 month later...

I noticed a construction trailer and maybe some site prep at the large empty lot that used to be a driving range on Governors Drive next to Inergy (Not sure on the spelling of that). Does anybody know what they are building there?

Thompson Tractor Company Caterpillar Dealership GC: Brasfield & Gorrie

• 1 month later...

Watercress, LLC is now being advertised in a sign on US 72 West at Jeff Rd. There are several outparcel lots fronting US 72 being advertised for sale and the main development appears to be fronting Jeff Rd. Ben Walker and Cole Walker with United Properties are listed as the developers. The Walkers must have deep pockets as they are simultaneously developing their Harris Hill property on US 72 East. However, the Watercress property (formerly the Monrovia Golf Course and a Shell station on the corner) is not nearly as large as Harris Hill and is very close to the most extensive retail development in the area, so it will probably be on a smaller scale. There are extensive rumors of a Kroger going in that location which would be logical and would enbable Kroger to tap into the growing Monrovia market. Their next closest location, the Kroger on Hughes Rd. in Madison is too far away from Monrovia - plus all the other chains, Publix, Star Market are closer.

It will be interesting to see what retail locates in the parcels facing 72 as well as the stores which will be adjacent to Kroger (or whoever the anchor is) in the main development. The entire property is in the City of Huntsville and may necessitate the widening of Jeff Rd. to the Old Monrovia intersection. North of that is in Madison County.

Does anyone know what is going on with this development now? I haven't seen any work hardly at all going on there. I drive by it everyday, and I always wonder what the status is!

Beth

• 10 months later...

I finally see some work going on at the Jeff Rd/Hwy 72 development. Does anyone know what this is going to be? :camera:

• 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...
Former Montgomery Director of Development Chad Emerson moved to Huntsville last summer to become the CEO of Downtown Huntsville Inc. Emerson did a great job in Montgomery, and according to news reports, he's already making a difference in Huntsville. Below are links to the website for Downtown Huntsville Inc. and a couple of articles regarding some of the things Emerson has been working on and his perspective on the potential of downtown Huntsville.

Clinton Row Project another great idea from Downtown Huntsville Inc.

Opinion piece by Chad Emerson:  Huntsville poised for greatness; why some downtowns are successful (and others are not)

• 10 months later...

Good news for the Huntsville economy as two major manufacturing plants are set to begin operations in 2016:

Polaris will build a new $142 million all-terrain vehicle plant in Huntsville-annexed Limestone County next to an existing Target distribution center along I-565. The plant will build the Ace, Ranger and RZR models and will ramp up employment from 400 full-time workers in 2016 to 1,700 in 2021. Construction is set to begin this May.

$142 million Polaris ATV factory to begin rising in May

What Polaris' manufacturing "campus" will look like when complete

Also on track for 2016 is the new $110 million Remington firearms plant that will employ 2,000 workers in the old Chrysler facility near the Huntsville airport.

Remington plant to create 2,000 jobs in Huntsville

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

FBI announces 1,350 jobs moving to Huntsville

Updated 2:01 PM; Posted 1:14 PM

By Paul Gattis | [email protected], [email protected]

https://www.al.com/news/2018/11/fbi-announces-1350-jobs-moving-to-huntsville.html

Looks like the FBI has officially announced more jobs coming to Huntsville.  They have a pretty large presence already on the Redstone Arsenal, and it has been suggested/spectulated that Huntsville could eventually see upwards of a total 4,000-5,000 FBI workers.  Paul Gattis with AL.com is reporting that the FBI announced a large expansion of 1,350 employees at Redstone.  It seems this will be relocations from and around the Washington, DC area.  However, according to a senior executive with the FBI on Redstone, Robert Hamilton, the occupancy will not be ready until early 2021.  The expected building (or buildings?  a complex of several buildings like MDA?) will house special agents, intelligence analyst, and professional staff.

According to Gattis, there are currently about 300 FBI employees on Redstone which is composed of two campuses.  The first campus is 243 acres with expansion up to 400 acres and is located in the northern section of the Arsenal.  The second campus lies in the southern portion of the Arsenal and is 1200 acres.  The southern campus houses the FBI's Hazardous Devices School.

Tommay Battle, mayor of Huntsville, noted at the announcement that 43,000 currently work at the Arsenal which could swell to over 50,000.  Battle also mentioned that the ATF brought around 4,000 for training to Huntsville last year for a 3-4 day average stay.  While in Huntsville for training, the trainees will patronize hotels, restaurants, and possibly more.

Hamilton also announced that the FBI's ballistics research facility will complete construction in Spring 2019.  Hamilton also quoted “The entire capability will be relocated from Quantico to Redstone Arsenal as part of the FBI’s portfolio,” according to Gattis.  Additionally, Gattis wrties that "...the last of a four-phase project will begin early next year to bring the complete TEDAC capability to Redstone, Hamilton said. The facility was first opened on the arsenal in 2016 when former FBI Director James Comey visited Huntsville."

Note: Terrorist Explosive Device Analytical Center (TEDAC)

Second note:  I think the 4,000-5,000 workers is direct plus indirect job number estimates.

Edited by timmay143
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Couple of stories:

1) They are refurbishing (wash, paint, seal) the Saturn V at the Space and Rocket Center for the 50th Apollo moon landing anniversary later this year.  They have a big mobile crane out there now.  I have a few pics, not too good.  Will try to get more!

Courtesy of WHNT 19 News: https://whnt.com/2018/12/05/restoration-of-saturn-v-begins/

2) Chuy's Tex Mex opening up first Huntsville location, scheduled for Spring 2019.  Going in at the Shops at Merchants Square at Bob Wallace Avenue and the Parkway.  I think they tore down some old industrial buildings that were here and putting in some retail shops across from the Whole Foods and retail there.  Should be an Ulta and a few other things going in here.  I'll try to snap some photos soon.

Courtesy of WAAY 31 News: https://www.waaytv.com/content/news/Chuys-Tex-Mex-restaurant-opening-first-Huntsville-504323091.html

• Like 1

Looks like Huntsville will be getting a reported 5th Chick-fil-A near downtown around the Twickenham Square and Medical District at the corner of Governors Drive and Dr. Joseph E. Lowery Boulevard with an address of 402 Governors Drive SW.  The report comes from "seen" filed documents with the Madison County Probate Office, according to WHNT News 19.  The site remains an old Captain D's structure.  Signs are up for a Sweet Peas Family Cookin' Express, which looked to be renovating, but I guess that isn't happening now.

This location should do well, especially a Chick-fil-A.  It will be interesting to see how Chick-fil-A traffic is handled on busy Governors.  This is just down the street from Huntsville Hospital.

Side note:  Not sure what section of town this belongs in.  Still learning Huntsville.  I don't know if I would call it downtown, but it is really close.  Maybe the Medical District?  I've heard the area around this called that (including where I live just off of Governors and Monroe).  Would like to eventually divvy up sections of Madison County (and surrounding areas if needed/possible) into areas of development similar to the Nashville UP board, especially Huntsville (again, if needed; not sure if there is enough activity to warrant this).

image.thumb.png.a0af6adf6829d747d0ed378f451da68d.png

image.thumb.png.64a05577fb3ae438d78a2c45961b7c6b.png

image.thumb.png.d021ad34370ba709f2aa58f3045bd04a.png

Pictures courtesy of WHNT News 19: https://whnt.com/2019/01/15/documents-show-chick-fil-a-planning-to-open-restaurant-near-huntsville-hospital/

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Robert Looper who is doing Nashville Now Next will be kicking off the Huntsville and Chattanooga versions this next Tuesday. Developers from Chattanooga and Huntsville will be there along with myself, Markholin & William Williams of the Nashville UP board and William of the Post and the Mayor of Nashville and many other major developers, movers and shakers.

I would love to see some life back into this board. I have tried.

• Like 3