Metro Huntsville Development News

jmanhsv

Hello all, I am new to the Huntsville area. I just bought a home in the Madison area, probably not the best time to buy a home considering that it is a sellers market in Huntsville right now with all the RSA Jobs opening up. I am moving here from Lawrenceburg, Tn. The only time that you guys would has heard from me; unless you guys go to the Nashville forum, was in a different post about Huntsville were I mentioned that I wished Huntsville could get more Interstates standard roads, but codyg1985 shot me down on that one. But I just wanted to say hey and I hope the Huntsville area will continue to grow.

Hey, its good to think about the future in the Huntsville area. :)

Anyway, welcome to the area, I am sure you will like it here. :thumbsup:

Hello all, I am new to the Huntsville area. I just bought a home in the Madison area, probably not the best time to buy a home considering that it is a sellers market in Huntsville right now with all the RSA Jobs opening up. I am moving here from Lawrenceburg, Tn. The only time that you guys would have heard from me; unless you guys go to the Nashville forum, was in a different post about Huntsville were I mentioned that I wished Huntsville could get more Interstates standard roads, but codyg1985 shot me down on that one. But I just wanted to say hey and I hope the Huntsville area will continue to grow.

Welcome to Huntsville! Being from Lawrenceburg, you're probably already familiar with the area. In regards to Huntsville being a "seller's market", that probably won't happen until school lets out, and BRAC families will be looking here for housing.

Catholic High School is moving to a new location in Thornton Research Park. The first phase of the $12M project, scheduled to be complete in 2008, will include a 1000 seat gymnasium, a multi-purpose center, and choral and band rooms. The second phase will be the school, which will eventually hold 600 (the current size is 250). Though the plans have been released for a few months, the funding drive is starting this weekend. Huntsville Times article: Catholic High set to launch campaign for bigger campus

3d.jpg

In the Outlook 2006 section of the Huntsville Times today, Ralph Gipson, president of Huntsville downtown development company CityScapes (remember Electric Avenue?) said a recent study showed that there is a potential for 1600 condos downtown. Think about it: right now, there are only about 20-30 condos. 301 East will open later this year, adding another 25. Ovation will open either late next year or early 2008 with another 40-45 condos. That will leave downtown with about 100 condos. Then there's the undefined number of condos coming with the redevelopment of Marketsquare and the 21-story condo tower (that is probably dead). To fill the need, there's going to have to be a heck of a lot of residential development downtown in the next few years.

Edited by jmanhsv

Welcome to Huntsville! Being from Lawrenceburg, you're probably already familiar with the area. In regards to Huntsville being a "seller's market", that probably won't happen until school lets out, and BRAC families will be looking here for housing.

Catholic High School is moving to a new location in Thornton Research Park. The first phase of the $12M project, scheduled to be complete in 2008, will include a 1000 seat gymnasium, a multi-purpose center, and choral and band rooms. The second phase will be the school, which will eventually hold 600 (the current size is 250). Though the plans have been released for a few months, the funding drive is starting this weekend. Huntsville Times article: Catholic High set to launch campaign for bigger campus

3d.jpg

Is this going were they built that football field off of Rideout Rd. My father-in-law and I was wondering what that football field was for and why it was out there by its lonesome.

I was passing the Bridge Street development today and saw some real interesting things happening. It looks like they've been paving the entrance from the west side of the development. Also, I think I saw a concrete base for the hotel in the rear of the development, with piping sticking up from it. Looks like they are all ready to get started actually building the development. Hope we see some real progress soon. :thumbsup:

^Nope, that's where the new Westminster Christian Academy campus is going to be. The new Catholic High campus is going up on Old Madison Pike, near Slaughter Road.

Oh crap, that's close to my house. Another school zone to slow down for.

Edited by L'burgnative

The Huntsville Times reports that the finishing touches are being put onto the 301 East condo midrise. The completion date is now early 2007. Condo sales started in late April. The condos cost a pretty penny for the Huntsville housing market- the smallest condos start at $319,000, with the penthouse (already reserved according to the 301 East website) posted at over $1 million. :wacko:

A Marshall County developer is getting ready to construct phase 1 of a new riverfront development called Parches Cove. Located in Union Grove, the 3000 acre, $20M development will feature 200 homes, a marina, and a lodge/restaurant. Of the 47 lots in the first phase, 22 have already been sold at $150,000-$275,000. The homes will start at $500,000. Huntsville Times article: High-end lifestyle set for river

I think this development is hilarious...Calvary Assembly, a mega-church in Decatur, broke ground Sunday on a 182-acre mixed use development, with houses, condos, a retirement community, and retail space. And of course, a very large church. What makes this development even better, it's going up along a already busy highway that connects Huntsville and Decatur, infamous for the hundreds of accidents that occur along the stretch of road every year. But wait, there's more- ALDOT is doing studies and construction just for this church. Well, I'm glad they have their priorities straight. ;)

I think this development is hilarious...Calvary Assembly, a mega-church in Decatur, broke ground Sunday on a 182-acre mixed use development, with houses, condos, a retirement community, and retail space. And of course, a very large church. What makes this development even better, it's going up along a already busy highway that connects Huntsville and Decatur, infamous for the hundreds of accidents that occur along the stretch of road every year. But wait, there's more- ALDOT is doing studies and construction just for this church. Well, I'm glad they have their priorities straight. ;)

Not to mention the fact that stretch of road is supposed to someday be a part of a westward I-565 extension...

^I guess when that happens (which could be in the next few years), the state will pay for an exit exclusively for this church, adding millions of taxpayer dollars and 15 more years of planning to the project....

In other news, don't look for a large retail development next to Redstone Arsenal anytime soon. Huntsville Times article: http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/ind...ll=1&thispage=1 Army shoots down talk of mall near base

Also, at the end of the article, there was this little blurb about the office market in Huntsville...

Bart Smith, managing broker of Graham & Co., said it's a landlord's market for office space. The commercial real estate firm recently completed its 2006 Huntsville Office and Industrial Market Survey.

According to the survey, the Huntsville office market has an occupancy rate of 93 percent, well above the national average. Cummings, the nation's second-largest research park, has a 95 percent occupancy rate, according to Smith. He said new developments inside the park will help free some office space.

"The question is, how much do you build? But you need to build enough to free up more space.''

This is another article about the projected BRAC growth in North Alabama/ Southern Middle Tennessee. Local congressman Bud Cramer says that much of the growth will be outside of Madison County. I agree with him- I can see a good percentage of the coming residents moving to Jackson, Marshall (near Lake Guntersville and in Arab), and Lincoln Counties. Cramer did mention the Shoals getting a lot of growth, but I highly doubt that, mainly because it is 70 miles away. Huntsville Times article: Region to share in BRAC gains

This is another article about the projected BRAC growth in North Alabama/ Southern Middle Tennessee. Local congressman Bud Cramer says that much of the growth will be outside of Madison County. I agree with him- I can see a good percentage of the coming residents moving to Jackson, Marshall (near Lake Guntersville and in Arab), and Lincoln Counties. Cramer did mention the Shoals getting a lot of growth, but I highly doubt that, mainly because it is 70 miles away. Huntsville Times article: Region to share in BRAC gains

There are a few people that commute from the Shoals, and I don't see how they manage it.

I think there will be growth in Madison County, but I do agree that it will spill over into adjacent counties.

Update on the new Calhoun Performing Arts Center proposed for downtown Decatur... An architect will be hired soon for the $30-40M project. The center will feature a 700-800 seat theater, a 200 seat "black box" theater, and classrooms. Decatur Daily article: Investment in art begins

Here is a "modified" version of the picture on the Daily website. The yellow line at the top is 6th Avenue (US 31), the green box is city hall, the blue is AmSouth, and the red is where the performing arts center is proposed.

dtndecatur.jpg

^I guess when that happens (which could be in the next few years), the state will pay for an exit exclusively for this church, adding millions of taxpayer dollars and 15 more years of planning to the project....

won't be an exit just for the church, there will be an exit for the frontage roads which would be needed regardless. The church won't be the only development in this area.

In any case don't hold your breath for the extension to begin anytime soon unless there is a total

shakeup at ALDOT, remember they have no money.

Convention and Visitors Bureau reports that a record 2.44 million visitors visited Madison County last year, spending $688M and making Madison County the fourth most visited place in Alabama, behind Baldwin, Jefferson and Mobile counties. The bureau also noted that in the next year or so, there will be a 15% increase in hotel rooms, with Embassy Suites, Homewood Suites, Westin (also Comfort Suites and Vista Inn and Suites, which they did not mention) all coming soon. The bureau has hired an advertising firm to create a new advertising campaign that will be used outside of Huntsville. Times article: Promoters welcome new numbers

In today's Huntsville Times, an article mentions a section of the city's website where anyone can see where residential development is taking place within Huntsville city limits. It also mentioned that 10,500 lots are being developed within the city limits alone (the number must be double in Madison County). Here's the website for the development map:

http://www.hsvcity.com/gis/dev_map/development_map.pdf Note that this is a pdf file.

Also in today's paper, an ad in the classifieds reveals another grocery chain is locating to North Alabama. Aldi (I guess thats how you spell it) is building a store in Decatur, probably the first in Alabama. The chain has many locations in the Midwest, but expanded to Nashville and Chattanooga recently. To anyone not familiar with the chain, I call it the "Dollar General" of grocery stores.

Huntsville International Long range plan, additional runways, concourses,

and the Memphis, HSV, ATL Freeway.

Limestone county where the new runways on the left are, Madison county to the right, the entire airport property lies in the HSV city limits.

Tennessee River at the bottom

master.jpg

^Cool map. I didn't know Huntsville International was planning another passenger terminal (Maybe they could build a "people mover" train between the current terminal and the new one :) )I also didn't know that they are going to build another airport exit off 565. I wonder how thats going to turn out- if it's built, there's no way a County Line Road interchange can be built. And looking at the Memphis-Atl interchange- they're planning flyovers!? That's going to be weird to see in the middle of all that farmland. Then again, when it's built around the year 2075, the area will all be developed. :P

^Just about anywhere in Madison is safe. The crime rate is extremely low. However, traffic, like most large suburban cities, is a nightmare about 24/7. 72 West, Hughes Road and Wall Triana Highway are pretty bad, and are long overdue for a widening. And according to Mapquest, Emerald Forest is off Wall Triana. But if your relative's job is in Research Park or the Arsenal, it will still only take about 15-20 minutes.

• 4 weeks later...