Metro Huntsville Development News

jmanhsv

new downtown restaurant/lofts

Local developer Jeff Sikes announced plans Wednesday for a European-style eatery he plans to open in Huntsville's downtown square.

Sikes said the restaurant, at the corner of Fountain Square and Madison Street downtown, would probably feature sidewalk dining and wine, martini and coffee bars.

The development, which is scheduled to be complete in October, will also include two upscale loft apartments on the second floor, Sikes said.

A study on the economic impact of the Port of Huntsville shows that more than 7,700 people were employed in 2002 at companies and agencies located there, up more than 13 percent since a 1996 study. And annual payrolls climbed to nearly $466 million in 2002, a 36.6 percent climb since '96.

this study done a few years ago

The Port of Huntsville includes Huntsville International Airport, the International Intermodal Center and the Jetplex Industrial Park.

When employers located within two miles are added, the total number of jobs grows to 12,505 - with a payroll of $714.9 million, according to the 2003 Economic Impact Study.

The multiplied impact of the transportation facility on North Alabama and south central Tennessee was 24,653 jobs and more than $1.1 billion in payroll. The calculation shows the indirect impact of spending by employees working at or near the Port of Huntsville.

"We're creating jobs" and having tremendous economic impact on Huntsville and the surrounding area, said Rick Tucker, executive director of the airport complex.

The study is the third of its kind conducted by Dr. Niles Schoening, an economics professor at the University of Alabama in Huntsville.

The impact of the Port of Huntsville and nearby employers represented 7.3 percent of all wage and salary employment in Madison County and 11 percent of payrolls in 2002, the results showed.

Two small Huntsville Times articles on Madison growth.

City's residential growth shows no sign of slowing

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

By THOMAS R. TINGLE

For the Madison Spirit

Commercial developers eye County Line for ventures as strip malls near completion

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

By THOMAS R. TINGLE

For the Madison Spirit

Do no paste articles on UrbanPlanet. We are not a news site, we are here to discuss the issues. I suggest you review the rules regarding this issue. They can be found using the link in the yellow bar at the top. -Spartan

Edited by Spartan

A $20M riverfront condo project is getting underway in Southwest Limestone county. Two Rivers at the Pointe will have 5 floors and 61 condos, the largest riverfront condo project in N Alabama to date (though that 7-story building in Guntersville should top this). 70% of the condos have sold, mainly to second home buyers, BRAC transfers, and people leaving the Gulf Coast. Features of the peoject include boat slips, waterfalls, a fountain and a hiking trail. Decatur Daily article: River condo developer breaks ground

condos.jpg

Better service coming, with over 1.2 million passengers a year and a healthy economy,

so lets add a new carrier or flights. Hey Frontier we need a quick gateway out west ;)

By MARIAN ACCARDI

Times Business Writer [email protected]

Event gives officials only 20 minutes to woo new carriers

Do no paste articles on UrbanPlanet. We are not a news site, we are here to discuss the issues. I suggest you review the rules regarding this issue. They can be found using the link in the yellow bar at the top. Always include a link to the article. -Spartan

Edited by Spartan

Peek and Rick Tucker, the airport's executive director, traveled to the daylong JumpStart 2006 in Austin, Texas, last month to meet with representatives of four of the airport's five carriers - American, Delta, Continental and Northwest - and route planners with Frontier, Southwest, Allegiant Air, AirTran, Transtates and United. Tucker and Peek had met with officials of another Huntsville carrier, US Airways, just two weeks before at the airline's corporate headquarters.

I did a little Google research on some of the airlines (the ones I bolded), and here's what I found out:

Frontier Airlines

Hub- Denver

Closest Service- Nashville (3 Flights to Denver, 1 flight to Cancun daily)

What can Hsv expect?- 1 flight to Denver daily.

Allegiant Air

Hub(s)- Las Vegas, Orlando

Closest Service- Shreveport, St. Louis (both several times weekly to LV), and Roanoke (several times wkly to Orl)

What can Hsv expect- 3 flights weekly to Las Vegas, and a couple of flights to Orlando

AirTran

Hub(s)-Atlanta, Orlando

Closest service- Memphis (to Atl only)

What can Hsv expect- 4 Flights to Atlanta daily

United

Hubs- Chicago, Washington-Dulles (the one we really need)

Closest service- Nashville (flights to Chicago, Dulles and Denver)

What can Hsv expect- 2 flights to Dulles daily

Southwest is not coming, no matter how hard the Airport Authority might try, and Transtates is a small business carrier. AirTran and United are our best bets; Frontier might be good too in the future.

The Huntsville Museum of Art plans to expand. Along with it comes Huntsville's first underground parking garage. From the Huntsville Times

Art museum growth plan gets boost from Shelby

$10M to $12M expansion includes gallery, auditorium

Thursday, July 13, 2006

By RYAN HICKMAN

Times Staff Writer

Do no paste articles on UrbanPlanet. We are not a news site, we are here to discuss the issues. I suggest you review the rules regarding this issue. They can be found using the link in the yellow bar at the top. -Spartan

Edited by Spartan

The Huntsville Museum of Art plans to expand. Along with it comes Huntsville's first underground parking garage. From the Huntsville Times

I think the Embassy Suite has around 380 spaces underground.

And the South Hall garage is sort of underground.

Also I believe Redstone Village has it as well.

But it's easier to build up than down, you gotta dig a big hole.

This would be a good place for a small amusement park, though it does flood a lot down there.

Huntsville Times article

City hopes waterfront land attracts fun, food

Hearing to zone tract for business, recreation Aug. 24

Friday, July 14, 2006

By JOHN PECK

Times Staff Writer

Edited by Spartan

I have noticed that several of you have been pasteing full articles a lot lately. Unlike other sites, we do not permit this here. We are not a news site. What we suggest is that you pull out the important information and paraphrase it. A quoted sentence or paragraph is permissable on occasion. Always include a link to the source article. If people want to read the article they will click the link. If you have any questions regarding this issues, please see the Rules link on the yellow bar at the top and familiarize yourself with them. If after that you have any questions or concerns please contact me via PM and I will be glad to sort things out with you. Thanks for your cooperation.

^Sorry about that Spartan. :whistling:

Huntsville is planning yet another Tax Increment Financing (TIF) district. This new one in Northeast is primarily for the construction of a new high school, but some of the money is going to construction projects and expansions downtown.

Some of the proposed downtown projects:

Von Braun Center- $4 million major renovation and upgrades

Huntsville Museum of Art- $2 million expansion

New parking garage- $4 million, to be located near the old Times building (under renovation) and 301 East condo project.

Madison County Courthouse- $2 million for new offices on the top 2 floors (the county jail was located there)

Downtown Fire Station-$4 million, relocation

See the complete list of projects

Huntsville Times article

The Huntsville Planning Board approved 603 new home lots at the meeting yesterday. Most of the new subdivisions are on the westside or in Hampton Cove, but one is located on Meridian Street north of A&M. That part of the city hasn't grown much in the last couple of decades, while the county areas surrounding it (Meridianville, Moores Mill and Chase) have been booming. But the promise of a new Lee High School by the 2010-2011 school year will surely prompt other developers to look north.

Huntsville Times article- The article is mostly about the rezoning of an area in the Lincoln Mill neighborhood, which is part of the city's Downtown North revitalization plan.

Airport Expansion continues

One thing the airport has is plenty of room, this land purchase for a third planned runway in the future

(15-20 years)

WASHINGTON, D. C. -- U.S. Senator Richard Shelby (R-AL), a member of the Senate Appropriations Committee, today announced $5,000,000 for Huntsville International and Carl T. Jones Field. Huntsville International will purchase surrounding land to further expand the airport.

http://shelby.senate.gov/

Edited by HSVTiger

I guess nobody else saw the ad in the Huntsville Times this morning about Wild Oats wanting to put a store in Huntsville? :whistling:

Some more news from the Times- Lockheed Martin will start construction on a new $30M facility in August. The 166,000 sq ft building on Bradford Drive is scheduled to open in late 2007. This is Lockheed's first expansion in Huntsville since 1996. Huntsville Times article

A little update on the Gate 9 project on the Arsenal- The first phase of the project, the Academic and CConference center, will break ground in January. This is where the satellite offices of universities like Georgia and Florida Tech, currently on the Arsenal, will be located. Later, more office space will be built, and possibly some retail and a hotel. The size of the project could eventually be 500,000 sq ft. Huntsville Times article

I guess nobody else saw the ad in the Huntsville Times this morning about Wild Oats wanting to put a store in Huntsville? :whistling:

Some more news from the Times- Lockheed Martin will start construction on a new $30M facility in August. The 166,000 sq ft building on Bradford Drive is scheduled to open in late 2007. This is Lockheed's first expansion in Huntsville since 1996. Huntsville Times article

A little update on the Gate 9 project on the Arsenal- The first phase of the project, the Academic and CConference center, will break ground in January. This is where the satellite offices of universities like Georgia and Florida Tech, currently on the Arsenal, will be located. Later, more office space will be built, and possibly some retail and a hotel. The size of the project could eventually be 500,000 sq ft. Huntsville Times article

yeah the ad was nearly full page, they are already slated for Bridge Street so this may be a marketing survey and to get mailing lists

Hey, has anyone noticed that huge plane just sitting on the runway at the airport along 565????? If so, what it the world is it doin there??!!

Huntsville has daily 747 freighter service from Asia and Europe so 747's are common appearances.

That particular one is staying the summer here and is undergoing some maintence but basically just parked.

I think it is scheduled to be retired from service soon.

Huntsville has daily 747 freighter service from Asia and Europe so 747's are common appearances.

That particular one is staying the summer here and is undergoing some maintence but basically just parked.

I think it is scheduled to be retired from service soon.

Thanx, cause it drives me crazy when I drive from Decatur to Huntsville and see that thing just sitting out there and not even know what it's for.

"New Publix to open this month

A new Publix supermarket will open on Aug. 30 in a shopping center at Winchester and Homer Nance roads in Huntsville. This will be the sixth Publix store in Madison County.

The 45,600-square-foot Publix store will be the anchor of Winchester Plaza. The first-day opening is scheduled for 7 a.m., said Brenda Reid, a Publix spokesperson."

Marian Accardi

Huntsville Times

Edited by HSVTiger

seems like that's a trend for Publix to not locate further in the city.. would be nice if they opened one at that heart of huntsville mall or somewhere on university drive.. maybe buyout that northside shopping center and build there and give walmart a run for their money..

Edited by Rocket256

"New Publix to open this month

A new Publix supermarket will open on Aug. 30 in a shopping center at Winchester and Homer Nance roads in Huntsville. This will be the sixth Publix store in Madison County.

The 45,600-square-foot Publix store will be the anchor of Winchester Plaza. The first-day opening is scheduled for 7 a.m., said Brenda Reid, a Publix spokesperson."

Marian Accardi

Huntsville Times

Winchester Plaza is the death blow for the former Winn-Dixie shopping center down the road. Many of the tenants moving into Winchester Plaza are current tenants of Winn-Dixie. All that's going to be left is Rite Aid, Movie Gallery and Dollar General. Too bad... the center was built only 9 years ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if Walgreens and Blockbuster come to the area around Winchester Plaza; the same with restaurants like Starbucks, Chick-Fil-A and Pizza Hut.

seems like that's a trend for Publix to not locate further in the city.. would be nice if they opened one at that heart of huntsville mall or somewhere on university drive.. maybe buyout that northside shopping center and build there and give walmart a run for their money..

I can see Publix opening a store downtown; they've built them in other cities. But Publix likes to put stores in high-income areas, so if there's ever going to be a downtown store, more mid-to-high range residences (condos) need to be built there.

Edited by jmanhsv

Winchester Plaza is the death blow for the former Winn-Dixie shopping center down the road. Many of the tenants moving into Winchester Plaza are current tenants of Winn-Dixie. All that's going to be left is Rite Aid, Movie Gallery and Dollar General. Too bad... the center was built only 9 years ago.

dollar general market :P