I wish they would bring back...

Wordsmith

Street sweepers. Real live street sweepers. I'm pretty sure those mechanical trucks were supposed to make them unnecessary but given the abundance of trash in places away from the actual road I just don't think they're enough. With litter scattered through fields and sprinkled over sidewalks, I think the fellas in the white jumpsuits would make a wonderful addition to everyday life and provide a lot of jobs. Unfortunately at this point I'm sure they would have to be privately contracted as I'm sure the city can't pay for that kind of service until more tax revenue becomes available.

WS

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately I don't think the city even has the money to pay cleanup folks who are contracted out.

As nice as clean streets might be, it would be even better if they could fix the massives holes that have developed in many roads. I almost gave myself a flat tire by driving on Elmhurst this morning.

There's a street sweeper that runs every now and then around Midtown. A few times I was crossing Woodward and it would pass by right in front of me, only as the water was puttering out onto the street and the broom was rotating, the trail left behind looked no different than before the sweeper passed. *sigh*

I take it you mean the mechanical kind...? *Having flashbacks of Laurel and Hardy portraying street sweepers*

Although I will say I saw fellows going along with weed wackers getting at the growth around the light poles in midtown. It was around WSU so I'm not sure if it had something to do with the school or the UCCA. Looked nice though I don't expect to see it too often.

WS

Archived