Differences in Raleigh and Charlotte

urbanvb

While I agree with you about Asheville and Wilmington growing but not having the capacity to catch Charlotte, I believe the Triangle has that potential. But with that potential, they lack something important: a true core. DT Raleigh isn't large enough to call the CC. Plus, for some stupid reason the Triad is included in the Triangle metropolis population projection. So that leaves six cities competing to be the best of each other. That area as a whole may catch the Charlotte metro someday in population, but it will never have a true urban core in the next thirty years. "The Hexagon" needs a city in the middle to plant all the huge towers. Maybe Sexapahaw.

Saxapahaw :lol:

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never seen the Triad listed along with the Triangle in any MSA data as well. That should be double checked.

you guys are right, it's not the triad that is in the census, but the two censuses overlap. Part of the triad's is in the triangle's (east of burlington.) my mistake. i stand by sexapahaw though.

• 2 weeks later...

Each city in the Triangle is creating its own identity based on what its been. Raleigh is the bigger of the two cities in the triangle. But that doesn't mean that it is the core for the two. It is possible for two cities to exist in close proximity and have different identities. Its not like Durham is going to give up and say "Raleigh, you can be the core for the area" That is foolish, instead each city will continue to grow like they are both doing. Raleigh, will always be bigger than Durham, but I don't think that will hurt Durham in anyway. They are the Fort Worth and Raleigh is the Dallas.

As far as Raleigh, they have a strong DT core for the area of Cary, Garner, Knightdale, Apex, and Wake Forest, so on and so on. Raleigh's identity is growing more and more every year and it shows no sign of stopping. More people are moving to this area than anywhere else in the state. It is safe to say that in 10-15 years Charlotte and Raleigh will be equal, it is possible that Raleigh could be even bigger based on projections from the state.

Each city in the Triangle is creating its own identity based on what its been. Raleigh is the bigger of the two cities in the triangle. But that doesn't mean that it is the core for the two. It is possible for two cities to exist in close proximity and have different identities. Its not like Durham is going to give up and say "Raleigh, you can be the core for the area" That is foolish, instead each city will continue to grow like they are both doing. Raleigh, will always be bigger than Durham, but I don't think that will hurt Durham in anyway. They are the Fort Worth and Raleigh is the Dallas.

As far as Raleigh, they have a strong DT core for the area of Cary, Garner, Knightdale, Apex, and Wake Forest, so on and so on. Raleigh's identity is growing more and more every year and it shows no sign of stopping. More people are moving to this area than anywhere else in the state. It is safe to say that in 10-15 years Charlotte and Raleigh will be equal, it is possible that Raleigh could be even bigger based on projections from the state.

I share your enthusiasm about Raleigh but I don't know if Raleigh (itself) will catch Charlottes population that fast. We are probably looking at 15-20 years alone for Raleigh to catch up to the point where Charlotte is now and by that time Charlotte could be close to 1 million.I do however think that in that time frame it is possible for all metro Raleigh including Durham and surrounding area could overtake Charlottes but will be some seriuos growth.

• 3 weeks later...

In moving to the Triangle, I found it harder to make local friends than any other place I'd spent time; very unlike anywhere else in NC in that regard, and I quickly discovered that vast numbers of Triangle residents take the local cultural opportunities (in many instances, opportunities you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere else south of DC) for granted; in Charlotte and Boone I found there to be a much smaller (in comparison) group of hard-core culture fiends who had to be extremely resourceful in ferreting out new musical, film and literary discoveries - this breeds close-knit communities of underground music fans, or foreign-film fans, and in being responsible for your own education in such matters (in Charlotte and Boone, you have to be), some very sharply refined tastes (and opinions) within a group of friends or creative people was the result. In the Triangle, I find apathy in unexpected places, and often bound up with an "at least we're not the rest of NC" kind of elitism.

I totally agree. Having lived in RDU from 99-03 and clt from 03-present, I can say I've had no problems finding friends in CLT - but had the darndest time trying to find people to do things with in RDU. It seems if you didn't go to college/grad school in the Triangle - no one wanted to hang out with you.

I totally agree. Having lived in RDU from 99-03 and clt from 03-present, I can say I've had no problems finding friends in CLT - but had the darndest time trying to find people to do things with in RDU. It seems if you didn't go to college/grad school in the Triangle - no one wanted to hang out with you.

I guess it depends on your age and the people who are around you.

• 3 weeks later...

I like Charlotte, because I live here.

I like Raleigh because my daughter and grand-daughter live there.

Both cities are great in their own way. As long as you have people who want to make where they live better, that is good.

I think the difference in the two cities makes them better. I don't think we want a carbon copy of each other.

I hope all of North Carolina will be better in the future.

Archived