Large Tower Rumored for Gulch

doormanpoet

A developer substantiated a rumor that a large multi story tower will be built in the Gulch. He aknowledged the rumor but said there is nothing definate. I spoke with a business owner in the area and she said she had heard such a rumor for awhile. ICON and 12th and Divison are not the only towers that MAY turn up in the area. The Gulch is going to have its own skyline.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. I also heard a rumor about a large tower in the gulch

2. I agree with doorman about another skyline in nashville if it gets built

3. I also believe the skyline with expand pass west end and will look similar to

Atlanta's buckhead area.

4. Whats going to happen to the train station hotel in that area?

5. Whats going on with the west end summit , has anybody got any info

6. We love doorman and the spark he brings to this forum.

Union Station Hotel is under local ownership again. I believe it's the same group that owns the Hilton Suites downtown. A multi-million dollar upgrade is planned. It's already beautiful; I can only imagine what a large infusion of cash will do to that property. I think they're going for extra stars.

i bet they're going to try to compete with the hermatige hotel.

Howdy strager! Its good to have you back.

I cant wait to see some cranes in the area. I know its coming but it seems like its taking forever. It would be neat to see 5 or 6 towers in the area. With 3 getting underway pretty soon 6 maybe even more isnt a long shot.

Also ive been worndering about WES too. It seems Palmer has too much money in the project for it to not get built. Someone should pull some strings and try and get some insider info on this project.

Will the gulch appear as part of the main skyline of Nashville, West End's up and coming skyline, or will it be its own little skyline?

Also, where will the new Encore towers be located with respect to the skyline?

Somebody needs to draw up a diagram or map. Something that can bring all these projects into perspective. Anybody got any free time?? My freakin head is spinning just trying to fatham all this stuff. WHEW!

Somebody needs to draw up a diagram or map. Something that can bring all these projects into perspective. Anybody got any free time?? My freakin head is spinning just trying to fatham all this stuff. WHEW!

I think the Adelicia(sp?) is going at the corner of 12th and division which whould put it quite a ways away from the nearest downtown high rise. Division is just south of demonbreun which is south of broadway and currently no tall buildings exist downtown in sobro. Unless tall buiding are built in the gulch around broadway, I would think that it's going to look pretty seperate from most angles. And the palmer building is around 19th or 20th or thereabouts as well as the west end summitt lot. So the point is, there would be 3 somewhat seperate clusters of tall buildings spanning about 20 blocks. That would be great, in my opinion. It would be a big framework for future projects.

Also, the gulch being what it is, a ditch, how tall will an 18 story building be in comparison to the cbd's buildings and west end's that are built on higher ground?

I don't know about a map! But, I hope all of this is done and not just talk. Look how WES has had us intrigued for a couple of years. There are lots available, but could they get a height variance? That remains to be seen.

BTW The Adelicia is going up on Adelicia Street by the boundry. The ICON is going where the Bellsouth building is on 12th Avenue, and 12th and Division is going up across the street. It will have a name soon. Another Tower may be going up where the defunct adult bookstore was. That is three towers on one corner! this rumoured tower has no street address yet.

With respect to the Encore, like Dave said, they'll be around the symphony hall(i'm not even gonna try to spell it) and the cmhof which would put them 6 or so blocks south of the bell south building. And also looking at a map, i think the palmer and summitt sights are at 15th or 16th which means the whole shabang-a-bang is a little closer together than I previously stated. So, it's not going to be like Atlanta and stretch across 3 counties or anything.

What's up with the zoning codes? Does anybody know the history of that whole deal? Why aren't there tall buildings south of broadway? And there are plenty of mid-rises on west end all the way to 440. The wes wasn't more than 20 stories was it? It's not as if people are proposing 60 story buildings out to bellevue or anything. Somebody build something, dammit! :whistling:

Speaking of building something, dammit; if you're ever in the midtown area, the Bristol on Broadway really looks good. You can almost be fooled into thinking you're in a real city, at least for a couple blocks.

Oh yeah, and has anyone seen the condo/lofts on 21st overlooking 440? Pretty impressive. And I just drove by wedgewood and 8th. That building is pretty nice, a little homely maybe.

Anything to fill up these empty lots to generate property taxes for the city. The more taxes being paid, the more money for the city treasury and more jobs.

And better schools.

There are established height regulations all over the county. You cannot have a building over 6 or 7 stories outside the central core which has actually extended now out to Belle Meade where they have some 10-12 story buildings. There is a 12 story building in the Bellvue area on 9 mile hill, the Wessex Towers, but somehow they got the variance passed in 1973 when it was built. Other areas of town include the airport business park and many retirement high rises all throughout the county.

The original heights for WES were one 15 story tower and one 25 story tower. Recently they wanted to build a 23 and 26 story towers at 350 and 406 feet repectively.

The original height for the American Centers was one 24 story tower but they neighborhood groups sued saying it was too tall at 400 feet, so they now have one 12 and one 13 story tower.

If some developers had their way, there would be a 60 story tower on West End! Land is a lot cheaper outside the central business district.

There are established height regulations all over the county. You cannot have a building over 6 or 7 stories outside the central core which has actually extended now out to Belle Meade where they have some 10-12 story buildings. There is a 12 story building in the Bellvue area on 9 mile hill, the Wessex Towers, but somehow they got the variance passed in 1973 when it was built. Other areas of town include the airport business park and many retirement high rises all throughout the county.

The original heights for WES were one 15 story tower and one 25 story tower. Recently they wanted to build a 23 and 26 story towers at 350 and 406 feet repectively.

The original height for the American Centers was one 24 story tower but they neighborhood groups sued saying it was too tall at 400 feet, so they now have one 12 and one 13 story tower.

If some developers had their way, there would be a 60 story tower on West End! Land is a lot cheaper outside the central business district.

Very interesting. What about the sobro restriction? Obviously, if the towers get built behind the symphony hall, so much for that. But what's held them back to this point? A lack of credible developers? It would be fun to drive up broadway from the west and see tall buildings to the right.

Very interesting. What about the sobro restriction? Obviously, if the towers get built behind the symphony hall, so much for that. But what's held them back to this point? A lack of credible developers? It would be fun to drive up broadway from the west and see tall buildings to the right.

I agree about the drive in. What is the reasoning for a variance in the SoBro area anyway. That area is not in a flight plan for the airport that would bring any tower dangerously close to it.

I certainly hope that this rumor was not started by my purely conjectural post several months ago regarding Tony G. Doormanpoet, if you've heard this from somebody more reliable than me, then maybe there's something to this rumor.

Having said that, I have absolutely no way of knowing, but I'd still expect Tony to resurrect his original Signature plan at his property in the gulch at Church.

If this goes along with everything else in the area, probably about 15-20, give or take about 5 stories.

A tower of that size, although a welcomed addition, would look much smaller due to its location. So here's a question, do towers in the gulch need to be around 20-stories or less in order to keep the area in scale to the potential residents of that area and not compete with the core group of towers in downtown?

I don't think it really matters. At least it doesn't to me. I don't think any real tall ones will end up on the slate anyway. Planners tend to look at skyplanes, views, and overall impact. I want so low rise down there too, but the way it's going, we'll need the mass of residents to get the retails moving. It seems restaurants have caught on in a big way with Sambuca, Ru Sans, one I can't remember the name of, and one announced just today, The Watermark in the base of the Mercury View.

http://nashville.bizjournals.com/nashville...10/daily35.html

I like all of the interesting restaurants that Nashville is getting. Food is a big priority for many travelers (as well as shopping) at least Nashville won't let them down at the table. (that was a hint to Nordstrom or Saks and Club Monaco and Crate and Barrel).

Archived