Renaissance Hotel

doormanpoet

Look for major renovations soon, possibly in 2006 including the razing of the James Robertson Apartment building for a large parking facility, restaurant, retail, and condo's. A developer is eyeing the property and 7th Avenue North between Broadway and Commerce Street for MAJOR developments including the lot behind Hume Fogg High School.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look for major renovations soon, possibly in 2006 including the razing of the James Robertson Apartment building for a large parking facility, restaurant, retail, and condo's. A developer is eyeing the property and 7th Avenue North between Broadway and Commerce Street for MAJOR developments including the lot behind Hume Fogg High School.

Aw...I hate to see the ole boy go. It really is a gem of a building...is it REALLY necessary to get rid of JR apts in order to do this?

I wouldn't suppose there would be a chance of saving the James Robertson? Are no groups willing to fight for it? Art Deco buildings are rare enough that every effort should be made to save them. As for the Renaissance, I seem to recall it being undistinguished in most respects.

I, too, will hate to see the Jas. Robertson go, but on the other hand, I can see the point that exists when a large money-making property wants to redevelop which will truly benefit the city.

We lost Evergreen Place in my neighborhood of Inglewood this week, the oldest house in Davidson County, and one that I'd been aware of since a child. A developer's greed, and now obviously greed in bed with a local official, took away this storied house. Something could have been done.

The JR is different in that it is "in the way." It's position is not one of prominence, it's not a place I've ever been inside of or plan to, and if the fiscal health of the Renaissance will be enhanced while, at the same time, pump money into the downtown economy, I can't say I'll lay on the pavement in front of the demolition crew to prevent it.

We've lost a lot of things over the years, some of which I never saw, some I saw and remember that many of you didn't. If you'll look at pictures of downtown streets from the early 1900s, you'll see that the landscape has changed so dramatically with most of the destruction of beauty being torn down 50 years ago. You're right RK, it's progress.

There's a column in the paper by Gail Kerr on this very subject. We have to be very careful to hang on to what we've have. Economics is a two-sided friend, more money for things we need, but the destroyer of some things we cherish. Compromises are difficult.

Does anybody remember when we almost lost Union Station? The Ryman? We still have some victories.

I'd look for the Renaissance to do something good. Perhaps a new skin would change everything? I, for one, kind of like this building, weird as it is.

I would love to see the James Robertson renovated, but the developer may know how bad of shape its in. The Renaissance was recently bought back from its owner by Marriott. Since Marriott is not a holding company but a management company, it plans to sell the property but the new owner has to put 6.1 million dollars of PIP which is Property Improvement Plan. We have had 3 interested buyers already, and one of them had great interest in the JRA and the land next to it.

I spoke to some Hume Fogg teachers and they said the gym is going where the purple building is. The city used imminent domain and took over the row of buildings. The gym should be complate in 2010.

On that note, there is no guarantee that the Berger Building where the toy museum is will stand either. The Feds really want that lot because it would look ridiculus butted up against the courthouse.

wow - the renaissance is long overdue for a rehaul. That place is just so dated as far as hotels are concerned. I too like the building though. It will be hard to renovate a convention hotel like that though because of business levels. I hope it stays a renaissance though - just like the brand a little better than a standard Marriott. It seems a bit more... exotic.

I had an opportunity to stay at the Renaissance several times when we were finishing out the flat back in May/June and loved the hotel. The rooms were great and the staff and facilities first rate. One of my biggest wishes if for a developer to demo the James Robertson and build a "Peabody Place' Type of attraction with movie theatre and retail/food components. Sounds like there is a slight chance of progress from what doormanpoet says. With the courthouse and The Hume Fogg addition that will take care of two full blocks and a blight on another block.

Does anybody remember when we almost lost Union Station? The Ryman? We still have some victories.

I'd look for the Renaissance to do something good. Perhaps a new skin would change everything? I, for one, kind of like this building, weird as it is.

I remember almost losing the Union Station and the Ryman! What a sad time that nearly was - but look what we've got now, though! Isn't the Union Station going to be renovated into a really top notch hotel? And who doesn't love the Ryman?! I wasn't living downtown back then, but we even knew about this out in Suburbia! Now that I'm here, I'm really excited about the Renaissance news! Can't wait to see what's up with that!

David

Archived