Grand Rapids Best Buildings

GRCentro

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A long while ago we had a thread about the city's worst structures; now let's showcase the best. What's your favorite building, big or small, in Grand Rapids?

As if my avatar didn't already give it away, my favorite is 77 Monroe Center:

Ledyard Building on Ottawa is my favorite. I also like the Waters Building. I'll bet someone here has pictures :whistling:

I like the Waters Building as well. It seems like at least once a week the fire department is called there for some reason.

OK :blink: I have to say I really like Ryerson Library. It's look is just stunning:

FDE7F950D91111D9B30740F818F73B1D.jpg

But coming close in second would be Michigan Trust:

6F4EEEB0DE8911D9974AA7AE18F73B1D.jpg

A long while ago we had a thread about the city's worst structures; now let's showcase the best. What's your favorite building, big or small, in Grand Rapids?

As if my avatar didn't already give it away, my favorite is 77 Monroe Center:

I'll second that on the 77 Monroe Center building. Along with the Peoples Building, they are by far my favorite when it comes to detail at the ground level. They have such a big city feel to them, with the ornamentation that exists all over the building.

Surprised no one has yet mentioned any churches...

Check out both St. Marks and Fountain Street. In contrast to some downtown area churches I won't mention, lol, both have been very good at maintaining both their exterior and interior architectural beauty and heritage... St Mark's is older architecturally of course...

If we venture out a little further, St Adalberts is one of the greatest architectural gems of all local area churches, and has actually been designated a "basilica", which is the Catholic way of showing esteem to churches of great architectural significance...

:)

Surprised no one has yet mentioned any churches...

Check out both St. Marks and Fountain Street. In contrast to some downtown area churches I won't mention, lol, both have been very good at maintaining both their exterior and interior architectural beauty and heritage... St Mark's is older architecturally of course...

If we venture out a little further, St Adalberts is one of the greatest architectural gems of all local area churches, and has actually been designated a "basilica", which is the Catholic way of showing esteem to churches of great architectural significance...

:)

Wouldn't ya know, I have interior shots of all three:

Basilica of St Adalbert

3F6FDFC0EFD111D9AABFC3EE18F73B1D.jpg

St Mark Episcopal Church

3BDB0EA032CC11DAA06103D918F73B1D.jpg

Fountain Street Church

F1932AA017EE11DA9C8FF19618F73B1D.jpg

F5F4FE2017EE11DABC6BFB8718F73B1D.jpg

2A122B2017EE11DAAAABD49A18F73B1D.jpg

:D

I'm new to the forum!!!

What a cool place to chat up Grand Rapids.

<- Born in Lansing, while the folks were @ MSU!! Moved to GR @ three years old. Lived here ever since, except college. Now I live in the Globe building and love it. I've worked in different venues in GR and just am so delighted by the development downtwon.

Just wanted to introduce myself, cause I'm gonna' be posting a ton. I've read a bunch of threads and am totally stoked on this forum!!!

peace,

dave

:D

I'm new to the forum!!!

What a cool place to chat up Grand Rapids.

<- Born in Lansing, while the folks were @ MSU!! Moved to GR @ three years old. Lived here ever since, except college. Now I live in the Globe building and love it. I've worked in different venues in GR and just am so delighted by the development downtwon.

Just wanted to introduce myself, cause I'm gonna' be posting a ton. I've read a bunch of threads and am totally stoked on this forum!!!

peace,

dave

Ola' Dave! If you have read many of the recent posts and haven't been repulsed, you'll fit in just fine :P

77 is very cool indeed.

I'm super biased, but of all the projects that I truly love, BrassWorks Bldg. is way up there.

Not sure if we're gonna pull the trigger on 72 Grandville (the anheuser bldg) but that's pretty far up the list too.

Oh, and one of Sam's bldgs. (think it's called the Waldron bldg) where Opus (nee tiki bobs) is among my favorites for sure.

201 Monroe, the first project I sold when I was a broker (bwteen amway grand plaza and devos place) is beautiful and well located.

77 is very cool indeed.

I'm super biased, but of all the projects that I truly love, BrassWorks Bldg. is way up there.

Not sure if we're gonna pull the trigger on 72 Grandville (the anheuser bldg) but that's pretty far up the list too.

Oh, and one of Sam's bldgs. (think it's called the Waldron bldg) where Opus (nee tiki bobs) is among my favorites for sure.

201 Monroe, the first project I sold when I was a broker (bwteen amway grand plaza and devos place) is beautiful and well located.

Boy, every one of those is a nice looking building. The Waldron is WILD looking, even without the gargoyles! We certainly have some great buildings around :D

Archived