Your City's Most Prominent Suburb

goodbye

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although not the biggest, Marietta is one of (if not the, that is) most prominent suburbs of Atlanta. It is one of the few that actually seemed to be a city in its own right before Atlanta really absorbed t.

Outside of Marietta, I'd say Roswell, Decatur, Alpharetta, Lawrenceville, and the newly formed Sandy Springs are Atlanta's other prminent suburbs.

And don't forget Peachtree City. While still a good distance away, it is very well to do with golf cart lanes running all over town.

For Orlando, I'd have to say Kissimmee, just south of Orl in Osceola County and next to Disney World is the largest suburb at 50,000 ppl. Second is Altamonte Sprgs (which is currently undergoing a major urbanization movement) just north of Orl in Seminole Cnty at 41,000 ppl. Then Sanford, the northernmost suburb of Orl, also in Seminole Cnty, at 39,000. Some would call Deltona (65,000 ppl), north of Orl in Volusia county, a bedroom community of Orlando; as development in that area has gone non-stop and is practically merged into the Orlando metro area (Orange, Osceola, Seminole, and Lake counties).

East Orlando, practically a city in its own right and the current local poster child of bad traffic planning and urban sprawl, lies just east of the Orlando city limits in unincorporated Orange county and currently has an estimated population of 130,000 ppl according to a recent Orlando Sentinel article. Not to mention the other unincorporated communities surrounding Orlando which easily add another estimated 300K to Orlando's current (official census est) 258,000 people living practically right next to them.

Kissimmee is not the most prominent suburb in Orlando... how would I know? I live there. If you like crackheads, brits and the mexican mafia then it might be in the running... But I would say that Maitland, WP or Altamonte Springs takes the cake... they have many office parks and have been established for a long time.

For Nashville, you could say it would be Murfreesboro, with upwards of 100,000 people, and a major state college, MTSU. Another would be Franklin, a more well-to-do town of about 50,000.

murfreesboro is more around 80,000, but i definately see it surpassing the 100,000 mark in the next 5-10 years, if not sooner.

While not Columbia's biggest suburb I would say Forest Acres (10,558 in 2000) is the most prominent since it is a wealthy town and situated very close to downtown Columbia. The wealthiest town in South Carolina is another Columbia suburb called Arcadia Lakes (yes, it is significantly wealthier than Hilton Head Island!) with median family income of $79,179 in 1999.

^Douglasville and Cartersville could probably also be added to the list.

LMAO at the two villes being prominent suburbs of Atlanta. You may as well add Snellville in if you include those but; S.A.M. (Sandy Springs, Alpharetta, Marietta) and Decatur (although it feels more like an intown neighborhood) are the only ones that have enough "status" to even consider.

While not Columbia's biggest suburb I would say Forest Acres (10,558 in 2000) is the most prominent since it is a wealthy town and situated very close to downtown Columbia. The wealthiest town in South Carolina is another Columbia suburb called Arcadia Lakes (yes, it is significantly wealthier than Hilton Head Island!) with median family income of $79,179 in 1999.

I agree with Forest Acres and Arcadia Lakes and Irmo could work in a far-fetched since but mainly due to it's proximity to the Harbison/Columbiana area.

In DFW it's Arlington. First because it has 345k people, which is impressive. Second because it has cornered a big piece of the entertainment industry with Six Flags over Texas, the Texas Rangers, and currently they are planning to build a new stadium for the Dallas Cowboys. Arlington, like Irving and Grand Prairie and a few smaller cities had the good fortune of being located conveniently between Dallas and Ft Worth which really fueled their development.

Atlanta's largest suburb would be Roswell (20 Miles North) with around 79,000 people. The nicest one would be Sandy Springs (Sometimes known as the Golden Ghetto)

Interesting, DFW's not much larger than Atlanta in metro population but it has several very large suburbs. I'm not saying one ways' right or wrong but it's interesting how many smaller cities make up the Atlanta MSA.

After Dallas (1.25 million) and Ft Worth (550k) the largest are...

Arlington has 355k

Plano has 241k

Garland has 218k

Irving has 195k

Grand Prairie has 136k

Mesquite has 129k

Richardson has 100k

Interesting, DFW's not much larger than Atlanta in metro population but it has several very large suburbs. I'm not saying one ways' right or wrong but it's interesting how many smaller cities make up the Atlanta MSA.

After Dallas (1.25 million) and Ft Worth (550k) the largest are...

Arlington has 355k

Plano has 241k

Garland has 218k

Irving has 195k

Grand Prairie has 136k

Mesquite has 129k

Richardson has 100k

Ooooooooooooooooooooookay. So you are comparing Atlanta and Dallas becuuuuuuuuuuuaaaaaaaassssssse why? We were asked to list each metro's prominent suburbs. Newnan took a stab at it....and while prominent does not necesarily equate to largest, he listed what he thought was Atlanta's most prominent. What does the size of Dallas' suburbs in comparison to Atlanta's have to do with the thread at hand.

This is exactly the type of talk Upstate was talking about when he started his "Cheerleading" thread.

Ooooooooooooooooooooookay. So you are comparing Atlanta and Dallas becuuuuuuuuuuuaaaaaaaassssssse why? We were asked to list each metro's prominent suburbs. Newnan took a stab at it....and while prominent does not necesarily equate to largest, he listed what he thought was Atlanta's most prominent. What does the size of Dallas' suburbs in comparison to Atlanta's have to do with the thread at hand.

This is exactly the type of talk Upstate was talking about when he started his "Cheerleading" thread.

So you don't think it's the least bit interesting?

I just thought it was interesting that one area had mostly smaller suburbs while the other had mostly large ones even though their MSA populations are roughly equivalent (and he said that the largest was Roswell, not the most prominent so if it's incorrect take it up with him, not me). The sheer number of small suburban communities in Atlanta's MSA amazes me.

You're the one that usually seems most interested in constantly tooting Atlanta's little horn on here, so don't chastise me. I fail to see where a few large suburbs vs more smaller ones makes one area more or less cool than the other, it's just an interesting anomaly.

I fail to see where a few large suburbs vs more smaller ones makes one area more or less cool than the other, it's just an interesting anomaly.

I thought it was a very interesting remark. And I agree, he didn't go on to say Dallas is better than Atlanta, he just said that they're different. Thanks for sharing those numbers with us, Aporkalypse. I thought it was a good point.

So you don't think it's the least bit interesting?

I just thought it was interesting that one area had mostly smaller suburbs while the other had mostly large ones even though their MSA populations are roughly equivalent (and he said that the largest was Roswell, not the most prominent so if it's incorrect take it up with him, not me). The sheer number of small suburban communities in Atlanta's MSA amazes me.

You're the one that usually seems most interested in constantly tooting Atlanta's little horn on here, so don't chastise me. I fail to see where a few large suburbs vs more smaller ones makes one area more or less cool than the other, it's just an interesting anomaly.

Sweetie, show me where on this entire forum do I go into a general topic about other cities to "toot" Atlanta's "little" horn. You are an educated man so I will suppose this to be an easy task for you. I'm not chastising you however you feel convicted as such. You are a grown man and I seek neither pleasure nor do I have the inclination to chastise you. I leave that for your parents or your significant other.

I merely pointed out where everytime someone mentions Atlanta, you make a point to mention Dallas. If Cheeriokid can not see that then it is not for me to help him see this. I was speaking directly to you however if he must understand why I mentioned this, he should check numerous topics both here and in the Urban Discussion thread for evidence of this behavior.

It doesn't really bother me as I am much too old and too occupied with other issues.....I just find it odd. Nothing more, nothing less.

I thought it was a very interesting remark. And I agree, he didn't go on to say Dallas is better than Atlanta, he just said that they're different. Thanks for sharing those numbers with us, Aporkalypse. I thought it was a good point.

I did not feel that it was germaine to the topic. It was my opinion and I voiced it. In my statement directed towards Aporkalypse, I find nowhere where I alleged he was saying Dallas was better than Atlanta. Check my post in the "Cheerleading" section on The Southern USA board and you will see exactly where I am coming from. If you felt it was important to you then by all means feel free to digest what he presented. There can be many explainations as to why Atlanta's suburbs are smaller population wise than Atlanta's suburbs. One being that many incorporated municipalities of metro Atlanta, like it is in metro Miami are physically smaller than other metros. Most parts of metro Atlanta's counties are unincorporated therefore these areas are not counted in the population counts.

But this is a whoooooooooooooooooole different topic than "Your City's Most Prominent Suburb" don't you think. Perhaps he can start a different thread and we, you he and I, as well as anyone else interested can discuss the differences between suburbs of various MSAs.

Lighten up. All of that typing just to defend being unnecessarily defensive.

Okay...but you were the one who said...and I quote:

You're the one that usually seems most interested in constantly tooting Atlanta's little horn on here, so don't chastise me.

I asked for proof. I will await that proof or a retraction of that statement. Anyone accused of something they have not done should get defensive. Who here would allow themselves to be accused of "constantly tooting Atlanta's little horn on here..." without wanting proof of it. I'm a big girl so if you show me then all I can do is eat crow....right? :shades:

You're a smart man though so I trust that you can show me where I constantly toot Atlanta's horn. :whistling:

This is fun so thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

Okay...but you were the one who said...and I quote:

I asked for proof. I will await that proof or a retraction of that statement. Anyone accused of something they have not done should get defensive. Who here would allow themselves to be accused of "constantly tooting Atlanta's little horn on here..." without wanting proof of it. I'm a big girl so if you show me then all I can do is eat crow....right? :shades:

You're a smart man though so I trust that you can show me where I constantly toot Atlanta's horn. :whistling:

This is fun so thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

Please see the Miami vs Atlanta thread, thanks.

Please see the Miami vs Atlanta thread, thanks.

So in a thread where we are asked to compare two cities, I am accused of tooting Atlanta's little horn. That is a weak rebuttal. Would it make much sense for me to have knowledge of Atlanta but not show it in the best of light.....when asked to SPECIFICALLY compare?

You said....and I quote:

You're the one that usually seems most interested in constantly tooting Atlanta's little horn on here, so don't chastise me.

One thread does not make me "constantly tooting" Atlanta's horn. The thread was specifically for comparative purposes. Unlike THIS thread.

I will surely see more examples when I return tomorrow morning......right? :thumbsup:

So in a thread where we are asked to compare two cities, I am accused of tooting Atlanta's little horn. That is a weak rebuttal. Would it make much sense for me to have knowledge of Atlanta but not show it in the best of light.....when asked to SPECIFICALLY compare?

You said....and I quote:

One thread does not make me "constantly tooting" Atlanta's horn. The thread was specifically for comparative purposes. Unlike THIS thread.

I will surely see more examples when I return tomorrow morning......right? :thumbsup:

Good night. I hope you can sleep with all of that tooting.

Just make sure and show me where I was tooting so I can eat some of your delicious crow you have steaming for me. :rofl:

Oh, that's not crow that's steaming...

I merely pointed out where everytime someone mentions Atlanta, you make a point to mention Dallas.

Now, try and prove that one, sweetheart.

Archived