Your City's Most Prominent Suburb

goodbye

In New Orleans the largest city suburb is Kenner which has about 70,000 people in 15.1 sq miles,it peaked at 72,033 people. 4,770 people per sq mile at peak.

For a suburban area it would definitely be Metairie,although I would bet more people outside of Louisiana know more about Gretna or Slidell or never heard of Metairie,simply because many times it's not listed on maps or it's not included on Louisiana largest city lists. It's 23.2 sq miles and has 145,000 people and peaked at 164,160. 7,076 people per sq mile at peak.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This one is from the Urban Discussion thread about "Big Metro, Small City"

You said:

It would be interesting to see the numbers as a percentage of total metro area. Obviously, Orlando is way up there and Miami and Tampa would be there from Florida, Jacksonville would be the opposite as it is the largest city in Florida but only the 4th biggest metro.

Atlanta's the one that surprises me, it's very small compared to what I would think it would be. Compare that 420k to the 1.23 million in Dallas and 550k in Ft Worth.

In this thread you said:

Interesting, DFW's not much larger than Atlanta in metro population but it has several very large suburbs. I'm not saying one ways' right or wrong but it's interesting how many smaller cities make up the Atlanta MSA.

After Dallas (1.25 million) and Ft Worth (550k) the largest are...

Arlington has 355k

Plano has 241k

Garland has 218k

Irving has 195k

Grand Prairie has 136k

Mesquite has 129k

Richardson has 100k

Which totally had nothing to even do with the question at hand. These aren't the only examples (since I asked you first, it's not fair for me to bring out all my ammo :) ) and you aren't the only person who does it. I have four children UNDER the age of four and sometimes I do get a little razzled...perhaps my acknowledgement of your action was more related to being inundated. I'm normally a very patient person who will overlook alot of things.

It's no biggie for me to retract my statement where I said....and you quoted me saying:

I merely pointed out where everytime someone mentions Atlanta, you make a point to mention Dallas.

Hear ye, hear ye.....when I said this in regards to the poster Aporkalypse, I was wrong to say that EVERYTIME someone mentions Atlanta, he mentions Dallas. I should have said I sometimes see when someone says something about Atlanta, you will rebut with information about Dallas.

Is that better? I can admit when I was perhaps used a word that was a little too definitive.

I for one will not bring in the New Year with ill will....you know why you do it and I do....even if others can't see it. I'm willing to let it go if you are.

BTW....the information you give in the Arkansas section is most helpful. You have presented Little Rock in such a fashion that has made me really take a nice look at it. Something I would have never done before. I would know where to eat, what roads to avoid and if I lived there what neighborhoods to look and and what schools to interview. I guess when it all comes down to it, that is one of the purposes of UrbanPlanet.org.

Anywhoooooooo, I can go on and on.....as you have seen. I wish you and each and every one of you on Urbanplanet.org a most joyous, healthy, and prosperous New Year.

It's no biggie for me to retract my statement where I said....and you quoted me saying:

Hear ye, hear ye.....when I said this in regards to the poster Aporkalypse, I was wrong to say that EVERYTIME someone mentions Atlanta, he mentions Dallas. I should have said I sometimes see when someone says something about Atlanta, you will rebut with information about Dallas.

Is that better? I can admit when I was perhaps used a word that was a little too definitive.

I for one will not bring in the New Year with ill will....you know why you do it and I do....even if others can't see it. I'm willing to let it go if you are.

BTW....the information you give in the Arkansas section is most helpful. You have presented Little Rock in such a fashion that has made me really take a nice look at it. Something I would have never done before. I would know where to eat, what roads to avoid and if I lived there what neighborhoods to look and and what schools to interview. I guess when it all comes down to it, that is one of the purposes of UrbanPlanet.org.

Anywhoooooooo, I can go on and on.....as you have seen. I wish you and each and every one of you on Urbanplanet.org a most joyous, healthy, and prosperous New Year.

Considering I've never even posted anything on the Atlanta board, ever, I thought that was an interesting statement you made. I have never said anything negative about Atlanta. Show me otherwise. My brother lives in Flowery Branch and owns a company in Marietta, BTW.

I still don't know what in the world you are talking about. It was still just an interesting observation you blew out of proportion. Smaller vs larger suburbs are interesting but have nothing to do with the quality of them. I haven't said anything negative about Atlanta here or elsewhere and I really haven't said much at all about Dallas anywhere on urban planet. I still just don't get it. I'm certainly willing to let it go, though, especially considering I'm not even sure what "it" represents.

I'm finished, this is my last post on the thread.

• 4 weeks later...

Aporkalypse, It might also have something to do with the size of the cities. If you look on the Census Bureau's Quick Facts you'll see that Arlington encompasses 96 sq miles, Garland takes up 57 and Grand Prairie has 71.

Atlanta suburbs on the other hand are much smaller. Roswell has 38 sq miles, Marietta has 22 and Alpharetta has 21.

Interesting Oklahoma City suburbs

Largest- Norman (more than 100,000, home to OU)

Most popular- Edmond (78,000, known for good schools and well-educated, upper middle class families)

Wealthiest- Nichols Hills (one of 8 tiny island cities completely surrounded by Oklahoma City limits; where all the mega rich people live. pop. 4,000)

Smallest- Lake Aluma, another "island" city. Population 97, exclusive neighborhood surrounding a lake with only one road and a tiny land area.

Most disaster-ridden- Moore (50,000) Two of the most powerful tornadoes ever recorded have followed the same path through Moore.

Dunwoody, North of the City of Atlanta is huge in number of corprate headquarters (some F500), population density, rail and interstates and identity. The crazy thing is that it hardly appears on the map due to the fact that it is unincorporated. There is no city of Dunwoody. It's not in the city limits of Atlanta. It's just north Georgia. What a weird Epcot kind of place! Sorry, I don't have any pictures of it.

Archived