Rutherford County leads nation in job growth

Rural King

I just read that Rutherford County, Tennessee, ie Mufreesboro, has led the nation in job creation for the last 3 quarters. Growing by an astounding 8.9 percent in the fourth quarter of 2004, compared to the national average of 1.7 for that time period. We are talking about the addition of thousands of jobs here, but I guess there must be alot of new jobs to support the kind of growth the county is seeing. This is just great positive news IMO for our state. Makes you feel good to be a Tennessean!

Here is the article for more details:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/T/TN_...EMPLATE=DEFAULT

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"That amounts to 94,170 jobs in Rutherford in the fourth quarter of 2004, compared to 86,530 jobs in the same period 2003." (from the article)

That little paragraph seems a bit out of place since it referred to this many jobs in Rutherford, these seem a bit more in line for the Nashville MSA.

But, other than that, that's a great article. It's nice to see Rutherford getting such postive press outside of the Midstate.

"That amounts to 94,170 jobs in Rutherford in the fourth quarter of 2004, compared to 86,530 jobs in the same period 2003." (from the article)

That little paragraph seems a bit out of place since it referred to this many jobs in Rutherford, these seem a bit more in line for the Nashville MSA.

But, other than that, that's a great article. It's nice to see Rutherford getting such postive press outside of the Midstate.

How are you interpreting that Dave? The way I took it was that there were 86,350 jobs in the county as of the fourth quarter on 03, and that number had risen to 94,170 by the fourth quarter of 04, which seems in line for the county's population and economic situation.

Rutherford County's phenomenal growth is being noticed nationwide. The fact that the news is spreading coast to coast will only stoke the growth even more. Check out this article from the Los Angeles Business Journal. If you want to read the the entire article click the link below.

Spotlight on Rutherford County

Here's some of the article:

Spotlight on Rutherford County, Tennessee

Los Angeles Business Journal, May 9, 2005

While the national growth searchlight has long been tightly focused on Atlanta's northeast Georgia region or North Carolina's research corridor, a sleeper Southern county--Rutherford County, Tennessee--has moved into the light.

Much notice is being paid to this county with a population of over 200,000, just 13 miles outside and a border county of Nashville, TN.

In the first quarter 2005, the U.S. Bureau of Labor reported that Rutherford County had the largest over-the-year percentage in employment growth among the 75 largest counties in the U.S. The number of jobs in Rutherford County increased 9.2 percent, compared with the national job growth rate of 1.3 percent.

David A. Penn, assistant professor of economics and finance at Middle Tennessee State University (MTSU), the state's largest public undergraduate university (also located in Rutherford County), said the area's employment increase is "monumental."

"This is the second quarter Rutherford County has ranked first. Three quarters ago, Rutherford was No. 2. Four quarters ago, the county was No. 3."

The other counties on the top 10 employment list were well behind Rutherford County by several percentage points. Clark County, NV, had an employment increase of 7.4 percent, while Riverside County, CA, ranked third with a growth rate of 7.2 percent. Rutherford County is the fifth largest and fastest growing county in a state which has long been considered one of the South's friendliest destinations to do business. The county is situated between Nashville and Chattanooga on a direct route from Chicago and St. Louis to Atlanta and points beyond.

You're right RK, I interpreted the numbers poorly. I must have been distracted or had a cat on my head or something.

Davis Market curse? I used to live two houses down from Davis Market, but haven't been there in years....did I miss something. Could this have something to do with my poor showing in math and general comprehension? lol

Archived