Atlanta Metro: Sprawl from Hell!

Newnan

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

whoa sorry. I guess I didn't post it right. go to google images and type in Atlanta suburbia, then go to page three, and then go to the 2nd picture on the 4th row, click on it, and read the very interesting article that awaits you!

-Below the picture, it says sprawl houses.

Very Interesting article.

Did anything ever come of the proposed "northern arc"?

Voted down...and with good reason.

It would pretty much screw a lot of the ideas about urbanity that Atlanta is havong today. The last thing Atlanta needs is another highway (too much sprawl would be created). The Northern Arc would have destroyed or at least separated many neighborhoods and good forest areas in the Atlanta area.

After New Orleans revived the Canal Street Streetcar Line, it was used heavily by not only tourists, but by daily commuters. It turned out to be worth every penny because it also heavily reduced traffic on Canal Street, which can be a nightmare during rush hour. I think if a streetcar line is built on Peachtree Street, it would be used just like the Canal Street Line in N.O, heavily by both tourists and commuters. I dont know a whole lot about what the average traffic is like on Peachtree St. but im sure a streetcar would reduce vehicle traffic during rush hour times.

How is the plan coming along?

Coweta County officials just had a big meeting discussing how they wanted Coweta to develop. The chose 4 ways to choose from: The was it's developing now, (Sprawl, yuck!) create a village environment in Coweta towns with higher density development such as the city of Duluth, economic development in which we try to promote industry (or something), and rural development, where we somehow try to preserve the rural parts of our county.

The only sensible solution to me is to create village development. Those of you who have been to downtown Newnan probably see it's potential to be a great "urban" environment. In fact, we have an empty lot the used to be a gas station that has potential to be some kind of 4-5 story loft building. Unfortunately, not everyone in Coweta likes this idea. Many just want to keep widening the roads and building strip shopping centers, while others don't want anymore development at all. I'm just praying tht we can find a smart, innovative way to develop our county as it continues to grow.

Voted down...and with good reason.

It would pretty much screw a lot of the ideas about urbanity that Atlanta is havong today. The last thing Atlanta needs is another highway (too much sprawl would be created). The Northern Arc would have destroyed or at least separated many neighborhoods and good forest areas in the Atlanta area.

More specifically, the regime (Roy Barnes) that was intent on railroading it through even though it was very controversial was booted out of office.

The bad thing is now the DOT announces it grand plans for several MA$$IVE projects at some of the intersections (85/316, 285/400) while balking at starting the commuter rail plan. Yeah thats gonna solve the regions traffic problems. I swear if these people don't get a clue soon, I think the metro economy will really become stagnant.

I read about the new interchange for the I-285/GA 400 intersection. The AJC says is will be even larger in scope than the I-85/GA 316 interchange. Both of these will be greater in scope than I-85/I-285. I have one question...........why? Now yes congestion on GA 400 at I-285 is busy but I would much rather (and this is very suburban of me) see the GADOT add more lanes on GA400 north of Haynes Bridge Rd to at least GA 20 as opposed to having beautiful flyovers at GA400/285 just for the sake of having a big new interchange.

But if you asked me my deepest wish....in terms of transportation options in Atlanta, I wish they would extend MARTA up to at least the southside of McGinnis Ferry Rd. There are many people in northern Fulton...and dare I say southern Forsyth....who would the MARTA train to the CBD, Buckhead or Perimeter Center.

You'll have to wait for those extra GA 400 lanes in the year 2030. But it is at least programed:

http://www.atlantaregional.com/arcims/TIPDocs/FT-AR-400A.PDF

2030 :blink:

Chances are I will not be here in 25 years. By then my youngest child will be 25 (fingers crossed that this will be my last one) and my husband has been begging to move to Montana, Wyoming or Washington for sometime now so it will be too late. If I get my way, I will be somewhere in south Florida relaxing......while they will be constructing lanes on GA400...finally...um um um.

If they are going to delay it that long then MARTA will probably be sometime around 2050. :rolleyes:

Archived