Delmarva State

Jerseyman4

I have driven through the tri-state pennisula many times which, culturally speaking, should be its own state. Forming a Delmarva state would bring economic prosperity by bringing uniformity of its own legislature, development, schools, enviromental laws, utility regulation and the list goes on. By forming a new Delmarva state, it can also follow similar characteristics of Delaware such as tax free shopping, being enviromentally friendly on its new highway construction and providing reasonable cost of living. Delmarva could also present new ideas for urban planning and smart growth since it is mostly a narrow strip of land, having no more of a width of about 100 miles. By building new transportation projects such as converting US 50 and DE/MD 404 into freeways, a Delaware Bay crossing between Cape May, NJ and Lewes, DE and bringing US 13 up to freeway standards between Dover and the CBBT. For rail, build two rail lines between Wilmington, DE and Virginia Beach. For east-west coverage, follow the US 50 corridor from Annapolis to Ocean City. This would bring reliable transportation for the entire state. Most of the delmarva is protected by wildlife conservation at the beach so its tourism industry would rely on Ocean City, Sussex County(DE) beaches and Assateague/Wallops Island area as well as the many B&B's along the Chesapeake Bay. There is already some urban development along US 50/301 heading towards Annapolis and US 13 north of Dover that can provide tax revenue for it being largely rural. The state could be a reality as this is just a rough draft overview of what it could be, what do you all think?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's an interesting idea. I'm sure it would have support in the MD and VA portions of Delmarva, as they're small portions of their states and probably feel largely neglected by their governments in Annapolis and Richmond, so they would stand to "gain power" in a Delmarva state government. Delaware, on the other hand, might not be so enthusiastic. Delmarva would swallow their state whole and they'd largely yield some power or influence to the new state govt. Whereas a small politician in Sussex Co, DE may have a large voice in Dover, his/her influence would undoubtedly weaken when s/he has to compete with interests in a new, larger state.

I like the ideas for transportation improvements. I've long thought an interstate highway beginning in Wilmington, stretching down through Delmarva and Hampton Roads, and then rejoining 95 in eastern NC would provide an alternate route for Northeast-to-Florida traffic seeking to avoid DC and Baltimore.

• 1 month later...

I found this article of someone supporting a Delmarva state. Until i see politicians ranting about it, this is just another person just like me coming up with a sensible idea for the 51st future state.

If Delaware is swallowed up by Delmarva, we will still have 50 states.

Even though the following movements have a snowballs chance in hell of succeeding, the following are more likely:

Georgia split into North & South GA,

WV wanting to re-join VA (PLEASE DON'T LET THAT HAPPEN!!!) :rofl:

The panhandle of FL & S. AL creating their own state

Delmarva may want to look at the legalities of becoming its own state. Maryland and Virginia largely seem to ignore this vital agricultural and nautical region in favor of the interior. I believe once the former Governor of Maryland William Donald Schaefer referred to the Maryland Eastern shore as a place full of out houses. Many eastern shore residents took offense to that remark and staged a protest in Annapolis by bringing mockups of outhouses and parading them down the streets of the capital.

• 1 month later...

That's funny!

Besides, I think keeping De as the abbreviation would work since basically it's Delaware et al. Dover should still be the capital.

And I don't think any states will split or merge with others any time in our lifetimes or our children's or grand children's or great... you get it. We'd have another Civil War first.

Archived