New Vikings Multi-Use Project

TC'

The Vikings have a new stadium vision that inludes a new retractable roof stadium, Indoor practice field, outdoor practice field, a sports medicine office building, an entertainment and themed retail experience, a winterland outdoor activity area, indoor lifstyle shopping center, hotel, and parking garage. The whole project is supposed to cost $675 Million and would be built around some wetlands in blaine. The vikings will pay $280 Million, Anoka County will pay $280 million through a 3/4% county wide tax increase and the remaining $115 million would come from the state. Heres arial map of what the complex will look like if built.

6698.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting, I didn't know they had all that stuff planned.

That's the trick...Ziggy gets the state to pay for the infrastructure and part of the stadium...then he develops and owns all the land around the stadium and makes oodles of non-vikings money (not to mention that the value of the vikings increases too) -- He is going to make a fortune on all this development, but the taxpayers are going to pay. Based on what his potentil profit is, he really shouldn't be asking for any money from the state at all.

What is the whole issue recently coming up with practice facilities. The NY Jets and Giants, who are going to share a future NJ stadium, are bitterly divided over whether there are practice facilities at the stadium (the Jets absolutely don't want them there, the Giants do).

What is the issue behind this? I've seen a number of proposed facilities recently with practice fields as part of the design, which seems new to me. What are the issues with this?

- Garris

Providence, RI

A lifestyle shopping center is basicly a high end mall with out any anchor department stores such as marshall fields, sears, bloomingdales ect.

About the practice facilities, I dont know to much about any other football stadium projects but as far as the vikings project the team was looking to bring all of its operations and facilities together rather than being spread all over the metro as they currently are.

I say if he wants to build a stadium, then he can pay for it. I would find it a gross slap in the face to all Minnesotans to support a tax increase for a sports stadium but continue to cut spending on education, health care, and aid for hte poor. It would just show how callous we really are when it comes right down to it.

I am also against the location. I think a location in the center of the city would be better. The "wetlands" around the stadium shouldn't fool you. THey'll be plowing over plenty of wetlands to build the stadium. It's a horrible project from an ecological standpoint.

Archived