West End Summit Update

doormanpoet

My firm is Hirsch Bedner Associates. [Content edited by moderator] We specialize in high end hotels and have worked with all the high end brands and are very familiar with their standards. It is never too early to start concepting for the look of the hotel.

The client wants a very contemporary, cutting edge space.

The brand has not been confirmed yet. It is between Westin, Hyatt and Four Seasons. It will not be a boutique property but the high end brands tend to go for a unique look for each of their properties.

Posting your firm's website link without its content specifially applying to a the topic on hand (ie a page on that particular project) is something the administration does not like. If we let some do it, then alot of development firms would be coming here posting links to their sites. If folks want to look it up on there own thats fine, but we can't have links like that. Thats how I interpret the rules on advertising, and I felt that fell into it. Sorry.

Here are the Board Rules:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=260

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, I know we are all just wishing that -A- Nissan N.A. relocates to Nashville and -B- They select D'Town. But if they do I can easily a deal worked out similar to the Bank of American and Ritz Carlton deal in Charlotte announced in August. Basically, BOA guaranteed so many room nights to the Ritz to convince them to build....Ritz has a revenue baseline and BOA has a 5-Star Hotel for all their executives to use.

Posting your firm's website link without its content specifially applying to a the topic on hand (ie a page on that particular project) is something the administration does not like. If we let some do it, then alot of development firms would be coming here posting links to their sites. If folks want to look it up on there on thats fine, but we can't have links like that. Thats how I interpret the rules on advertising, and I felt that fell into it. Sorry.

Here are the Board Rules:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=260

I'm sorry. I don't have anything on the site because the project just began. I posted it in response to the question about brand standards. I figured a look at that would give an idea of what level of design this project will have. I certainly wasn't advertising.

I apologize.

My firm is Hirsch Bedner Associates. [Content edited by moderator] We specialize in high end hotels and have worked with all the high end brands and are very familiar with their standards. It is never too early to start concepting for the look of the hotel.

The client wants a very contemporary, cutting edge space.

The brand has not been confirmed yet. It is between Westin, Hyatt and Four Seasons. It will not be a boutique property but the high end brands tend to go for a unique look for each of their properties.

I want to add my thanks to you, Designerbee, as well. I'm so excited that this project is still moving along. I look forward to any updates you may have concerning this project in the future. For your sake I certainly hope you see this project to it's sucessful completion!

I'm sorry. I don't have anything on the site because the project just began. I posted it in response to the question about brand standards. I figured a look at that would give an idea of what level of design this project will have. I certainly wasn't advertising.

I apologize.

No problem. I figured you probably just didn't know (thus why I posted the rules link) and weren't trying to advertise, but its something that had to be moderated due to how the rules read. I hope you understand. I also would have PMed you about it, but until you have 10 posts you don't have PM access, so I had to do it in the thread.

Don't worry about it though.

I hope to see post often and be a part of the forum!! :) I'm sure we are all more than interested in the kind of knowledge and expertise you can share about urban development topics.

Huntsville?? That is hard to believe, do you have a link. I would love a W Hotel as well but it was not one of the three mentioned by our 'insider'.

If they are opening in Huntville then they are moving way down market.

Give me a W. As I have said before, they are on a building binge right now with properties going in Memphis, Huntsville and a few other southern cities. That would be a decent location but would rather see them a little closer into town.

Did you mean Westin? I am pretty sure your "W" stood for Westin n'est pas?

There is an elite brand of hotels named "W Hotels." They are owned by Starwood Hotels which also owns Westin Hotels and Sheraton Hotels but they are no the same brand. The only American Cities that have W hotels are Atlanta, Chicago, New York, LA, Seattle, New Orleans, Silicon Valley, Honolulu, San Diego and San Francisco.

There is an elite brand of hotels named "W Hotels." They are owned by Starwood Hotels which also owns Westin Hotels and Sheraton Hotels but they are no the same brand. The only American Cities that have W hotels are Atlanta, Chicago, New York, LA, Seattle, New Orleans, Silicon Valley, Honolulu, San Diego and San Francisco.

Personally I think Nashville is worthy of joining that list. Give me a "W".

I find this whole discussion funny, because there were rumors, actually, that a W would be going in the WES.

Actually, a Westin has been rumored for some time. The first location was the lot by the old CMHofF on Music Square where the abandoned Shoney's is. That was to be a mixed use development with a Westin Hotel attached to it. It fell through from what I understand. So I guess when you think about location, this doesn't seem to far out of the possibility. What, maybe two blocks or three seperate the old lot from the WES????

The first location was the lot by the old CMHofF on Music Square where the abandoned Shoney's is. That was to be a mixed use development with a Westin Hotel attached to it.

Are there any other current plans to develop anything on the shoney's side of demonbreun? With all the nice retail on the other side, the abandoned building and empty parking lot is really an eye sore...

Are there any other current plans to develop anything on the shoney's side of demonbreun? With all the nice retail on the other side, the abandoned building and empty parking lot is really an eye sore...

I haven't heard anything definate. There are always rumors about the lot, but no "offical" proposal has been mentioned to my knowledge. I think the owners of the lat are a little reluctant to sell it to just anyone. Not to mention the motel next to it probably has some say in it by now.

I am curious about the old Hall of Fame building. If something was to go on that lot, would it utilize that building or raze it I wonder? I guess it depends on the develoment. Either way, it is a prime, PRIME piece of real estate!

Let's see, where to begin. The old Hall of Fame building was torn down 2 or 3 years ago, or more. The space was incorporated into the parking for the large BMI building. BMI bought the property as they were the adjacent owners of the rest of the block anyway. The main BMI building was on 16th next to the Hall of Fame. I was pleased when they kept the 100 year old (guess) ginko trees that graced each side of the old barn-shaped Hall of Fame.

To the lot next to Shoney's. I believe Starstruck Properties, one of Reba McEntire's companies owns the property. It was to be the site of a Ritz-Carlton and possibly a high-rise office building. That didn't work out.

W was next in line to build there (not Westin brand, but a W) and then 9/11 happened and well, so much for that.

At some point, as Lexy mentioned, there was (or still is) a plan for a large mixed used development there. My memory tells me it was in the $100 million range, very large.

From what I understand, these plans are on hold while a lawsuit is settled between Shoney's Inn and the adjoining property. Something about a parking dispute. I don't know what, if anything, has happened.

Side note: not too long ago the place where the Irish Pub is was planned as a Rolls-Royce dealership...but Rolls decided not to do it. Oh well, I can better pay for a Guiness, anyway.

Let's see, where to begin. The old Hall of Fame building was torn down 2 or 3 years ago, or more. The space was incorporated into the parking for the large BMI building. BMI bought the property as they were the adjacent owners of the rest of the block anyway. The main BMI building was on 16th next to the Hall of Fame. I was pleased when they kept the 100 year old (guess) ginko trees that graced each side of the old barn-shaped Hall of Fame.

To the lot next to Shoney's. I believe Starstruck Properties, one of Reba McEntire's companies owns the property. It was to be the site of a Ritz-Carlton and possibly a high-rise office building. That didn't work out.

W was next in line to build there (not Westin brand, but a W) and then 9/11 happened and well, so much for that.

At some point, as Lexy mentioned, there was (or still is) a plan for a large mixed used development there. My memory tells me it was in the $100 million range, very large.

From what I understand, these plans are on hold while a lawsuit is settled between Shoney's Inn and the adjoining property. Something about a parking dispute. I don't know what, if anything, has happened.

Side note: not too long ago the place where the Irish Pub is was planned as a Rolls-Royce dealership...but Rolls decided not to do it. Oh well, I can better pay for a Guiness, anyway.

Thank you for helping me out there Dave. I was really hoping you would catch this thread again. LOL!

In the hotel business, we hear so many rumours. We keep hearing about a 40 story Peabody being built downtown. We once heard the Sheraton would be torn down and replaced with a taller one, but to raze a 26 story building is EXTREMELY expensive. I hope something is done with the Shoneys property soon. I also hope Palmer does something soon. We have heard of a 70 story Westin and on and on and on...

A 70-story Westin would undoubtedly tick off a lot of our peer cities.

Ooooo, let's do it! How fun would that be. :)

At any rate, I'm lovin' what currently going on because I can see it, and watch it happen. We don't want to do everything at once; let's prolong the excitement. I like hearing new news and seeing new things appear in the papers especially when it catches me off guard.

Well, you know me, Lex. My two cents is never too far from the pocket. lol

Archived