Florida License plates : Old or new?

bsutter2

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Actually, for many years into the 90s the rental car tag said "lease" where the county name was; I remember once when I was a kid asking my Dad where Lease County was. He thought that was pretty funny.

There were some tourist carjackings in the early 90s and they stopped making "lease" plates, since that was a radically stupid idea in the first place. I think for a long while they gave rental companies license plates from counties in the panhandle. I know I rented a car in Lauderdale once that had Walton on the plate. The Sunshine State tags came out in the last couple years I think because it's cheaper to press a bunch of those than separate plates for each county. I managed to get a Hillsborough plate last year, but the newer plate with three oranges was only available as a "sunshine state" tag. I got the impression there are no more county name plates after the current stocks run out.

I used to have a Challenger plate on my car, the really old one that was the first specialty plate the state made. I loved that old plate. I really detest the newest version and wish I could get that old plate back (I forgot to take it off one of my cars after I totalled it).

I had been under the impression (perhaps incorrectly) that "Sunshine State" is on plates being issued to leased vehicles (whether leased to rental agencies or individuals) and the county names are still issued to vehicles which are purchased outright.

Also, I read somewhere within the past year or so that the state of Florida is no longer going to stamp tags, but print them out instead using a new process to save money.

I prefer the former tag over the newer tag, too.

That seems unlikely, since it would merely be a revert to the days of the Lease County license plates.

I know Hillsboco didn't have anything but Sunshine State plates in the newer version, a mix in the older version. Also, most of the plates in the parking lot at work these days say Sunshine State, so whether it was policy in the past or not, it seems to be the only thing they're making now.

I don't want to seem like a fuddy-duddy, but I really dislike the unstamped license plates. Check out a Delaware plate for what it looks like. What's with government trying to save money anyway? They never do that.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived