So... Where Else Would You Live?

teshadoh

That is the question, if you were going to live somewhere than Atlanta - where else would it be. Also, an optional question - do you even plan on living the rest of your life here?

My choices have been for the past few years:

Denver

Portland

Seattle

Asheville

Louisville

Vancouver

Richmond

Years ago, during the year that led to the house my wife & I bought - we were diligently searching for out of state jobs. We had a few bites, particularly a great job outside of Washington DC. But after reviewing the cost of living for the area it was in (No VA) & the fact it wasn't at all where we would want to live (suburbs) we decided to take advantage of the inexpensive homes in Atlanta & buy one.

But we will eventually move on - particularly once we can make a nice profit off our home (our house is already valued an additional $20k & we're negotiating to sell our backyard). Nothing personal Atlanta - but I simply couldn't imagine living somewhere longer than 20 years (18 years in SC & 16 years in Atlanta). I would say 10 years would be the preffered amount of time to live in any one city - but we've managed to stay here for longer.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is the question, if you were going to live somewhere than Atlanta - where else would it be. Also, an optional question - do you even plan on living the rest of your life here?

My choices have been for the past few years:

Denver

Portland

Seattle

Asheville

Louisville

Vancouver

Years ago, during the year that led to the house my wife & I bought - we were diligently searching for out of state jobs. We had a few bites, particularly a great job outside of Washington DC. But after reviewing the cost of living for the area it was in (No VA) & the fact it wasn't at all where we would want to live (suburbs) we decided to take advantage of the inexpensive homes in Atlanta & buy one.

But we will eventually move on - particularly once we can make a nice profit off our home (our house is already valued an additional $20k & we're negotiating to sell our backyard). Nothing personal Atlanta - but I simply couldn't imagine living somewhere longer than 20 years (18 years in SC & 16 years in Atlanta). I would say 10 years would be the preffered amount of time to live in any one city - but we've managed to stay here for longer.

Yeah I often think of living somewhere else, not because Im unhappy here but just for a change of scenery. I was actually looking to move out of state a couple years ago but the only job options were in Phoenix and New Jersey.

I like all the choices on your list except Louisville simply because I don't know much about it. I think smaller towns with a metro population around 1 million are great places to live because there are many of the amenities we like in them but they're small enough that everything is so easy. I used to visit a friend in Albuquerque that would lament about having to go to the "other side of town" to do something. To me it was like going form midtown to Buckhead minus the traffic.

I like the west with its wide vistas and mountains. I like Florida for its beaches and tropical setting. I also prefer nice weather. Heres the top of my list but I would gladly live in some of those great cities with colder weather.

Denver

San Diego

Tampa

Albuquerque

Miami

Hampton Roads

I would consider Denver, Boca Raton or Seattle. My parents are here in Atlanta so my need to be with them is extreme.....the furthest I would move right now is Charlotte or Jacksonville. I must be close enough to them to either fly or drive at the drop of a hat. Plus my children are very attached to their grandparents and I would miss their bi weekly visits.

BTW, we found a wonderful home near the Olympic National Park. It is absolutely gorgeous. Not the house so much but the views. While the house is only 3000 sq ft, the views, the lake and outdoor activities are worth it. It's also a little over 100 miles from Seattle on the other side of Puget Sound and all the other bodies of water. My only concern is the "Big One."

I have lived in Douglasville all of my life. I have no real intentions of staying here (as much as I love Atlanta).

For college, hopefully, I'll go to Athens. Afterwards, I'll probably move to Los Angeles because I wish to be a screenwriter.

If I didn't live here in metro Atlanta, I would probably want to live in Chicago, the Outer Banks, Charleston (SC), or Savannah.

Well ironchapman - at the same age as you are, I had lived in Rock Hill all my life (except for my birth year in Columbia), so I think I can understand.

Martinman - I didn't include San Diego on my list, though I've been there 5+ times & I do consider it one of my favorite cities - because of the cost of living. It sucks to own anything there. Also I forgot Richmond on my list, I would consider that city as well.

I'll give myself away as a true urbanite here. Other cities I would consider living in:

• New York (specifically Manhatten...even more specifically Midtown Manhatten)

• Chicago (inside the loop)

• Boston

• San Francisco

• Phily (maybe)

• Portland

• Seattle

• Denver (I'm a huge skier)

Cities I would never live in, no matter how much money you paid me:

• LA

• Las Vegas

• Pheonix

• Dallas

• Houston

• Anywhere in FL

If I need a car to survive, I have no interest in living there. That's not to say I wouldn't own a car, I just don't want it to be a necessity.

I know that I dont live in or around Atlanta, but i'll answer this anyway.

No matter what ends up happening with New Orleans, I would still want to stay here. There is a certain charm around New Orleans that you just cant find in any other city, IMO. It's home to me, and I wouldnt really want to leave.

But if I had to move to another city, I would like to live in

-Atlanta (I'm a big Atlanta fan, I love the city, the people, and the surrounding area)

-Houston (Nice, big city, with nice suburbs and great people)

-Dallas (Nice, very large, and thriving city and metro, with great food and great people)

-Charlotte (Very nice area, and the people have always been friendly to me when I have visited)

-Miami (C'mon..it's Miami! And because of its thriving city and metro, and its beautiful surrounding areas)

-Nashville (Great Music, Great Food, Great People, its growing quickly, and I just really like the city)

I think Teshadoh stole the idea for this thread from the one going on in the Greenville subforum ( :P ), so even though I don't live in ATL, here's my list:

1) Atlanta (for a few years or so--nothing long term)

2) LA (for about 5 yrs. or so)

3) Columbia SC (long-term basis)

4) Greensboro NC

5) Charleston SC

I'll give myself away as a true urbanite here. Other cities I would consider living in:
  • New York (specifically Manhatten...even more specifically Midtown Manhatten)

• Chicago (inside the loop)

• Boston

• San Francisco

• Phily (maybe)

• Portland

• Seattle

• Denver (I'm a huge skier)

Cities I would never live in, no matter how much money you paid me:

• LA

• Las Vegas

• Pheonix

• Dallas

• Houston

• Anywhere in FL

If I need a car to survive, I have no interest in living there. That's not to say I wouldn't own a car, I just don't want it to be a necessity.

I agree with you, that would be my option

I think Teshadoh stole the idea for this thread from the one going on in the Greenville subforum ( :P ), so even though I don't live in ATL, here's my list:

1) Atlanta (for a few years or so--nothing long term)

2) LA (for about 5 yrs. or so)

3) Columbia SC (long-term basis)

4) Greensboro NC

5) Charleston SC

Well yes I did - didn't realize I was supposed to provide credit, then to the forummer 'Greenville' - I humbly thank you for the excellent suggestion! :)

I don't live in Atlanta... I don't even live in the US.

But I'll answer this one too, it's quite an interessting topic.

My top 10 would be:

1. Seattle

2. San Diego

3. Los Angeles

4. Portland

5. Phoenix

6. Vancouver, BC

7. Denver

8. San Francisco Bay Area

9. Miami

10. Tampa/ St. Petersburg

I love the US and I really want to move there, I probably will after my studies.

But I prefer the western US over the east, because cities are more "American", where in the east cities sometimes look very European, like Boston for example. These cities are also older and one of the things that I like about US cities is that the're brand new, and modern.

I don't live in Atlanta... I don't even live in the US.

But I'll answer this one too, it's quite an interessting topic.

My top 10 would be:

1. Seattle

2. San Diego

3. Los Angeles

4. Portland

5. Phoenix

6. Vancouver, BC

7. Denver

8. San Francisco Bay Area

9. Miami

10. Tampa/ St. Petersburg

I love the US and I really want to move there, I probably will after my studies.

But I prefer the western US over the east, because cities are more "American", where in the east cities sometimes look very European, like Boston for example. These cities are also older and one of the things that I like about US cities is that the're brand new, and modern.

Well that is an interesting perspective. We tend to idolize some European cities because of the density, architecture and their age. By the way, where do you live?

Archived