Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gs3

CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Carolina First Center

Since the money has been approved for the expansion and remodel of Palmetto Expo, thought I would post some "before" photos. Does anybody have any renderings of the what Palmetto will look like when complete? Below are the befores:

CIMG3022.jpg

CIMG3027.jpg

CIMG3023.jpg

CIMG3028.jpg

CIMG3029.jpg

CIMG3024.jpg

CIMG3026.jpg

CIMG3025.jpg

Man I wish we could build a convention center downtown! It would be perfect with all of the hotels, restaurants, etc. nearby.

Since that will never happen, I am curious to see what the master plan is for the Expo Center. Ideally it will drive development along Pleasantburg. Perhaps one day we will have several hotels adjacent to the Expo Center (decent ones - an old Comfort Inn doesn't count) as well as somewhat of a town center there that is pedestrian friendly.

If Greenville could somehow tap into the convention market, it would be great. I know we aren't big enough and don't have as much to offer as places like Philadelphia, Chicago, New Orleans, etc. do, but if our leaders get creative we can hopefully improve in this regard.

I wish that they'd tear that Comfort Inn down, and replace it with a more modern one, maybe 5 or 6 stories, and make a bikeway/path to the Expo Ctr. BTW, what happened to the Dragon Den? That was some of the best chinese in Greenville.

The Dragon Den is no longer there?!? I hope they have moved to a different location and not simply closed, because the food there is excellent.

Not sure where the Dragon Den went, however, the spot was replaced by Irashai (spell?), which is without a doubt, the best sushi in Greenville. Not sure if this is a second location for them or if they moved from Wade Hampton.

In this week's Business section of the Greenville News, there is a full-page ad for the Palmetto Expo Center. It has a very nice rendering of the future main entrance. :shades:

Although I couldn't find renderings on the website, it is still essential to this thread.

PALMETTOEXPO.com

Here is a rendering of the renovations to the Expo Center. The portion of the building closest to Tower Drive is being torn down and replaced with a new entrance court and 2 story lobby.

93229001_5ad288c504_b.jpg

Thanks very much, sc smitty! That is the same rendering, only in color. I think we can all agree this will be a tremendous improvement. I like the similarities to the modern structures going up along I-85. :shades:

I wish that they'd tear that Comfort Inn down, and replace it with a more modern one, maybe 5 or 6 stories, and make a bikeway/path to the Expo Ctr. BTW, what happened to the Dragon Den? That was some of the best chinese in Greenville.

I agree the comfort inn could be much better but I wouldn't wish tearing it down on my friends the Patels. They are making a living.

Anyone know if Yeargin got the bid for the Expo?

That looks SO similar to Columbia's convention center. At any rate, I'm sure it will turn out to look great.

It does doesn't it. Wonder if the city realizes(sp)that.

I like the look even if it does look like Columbia's.The renovation will hopefully help Greenville attract more conventions.

Did anyone else see the cool video clip showing the Palmetto Int'l Expo Center renovation on WYFF 4 this evening? They said the new glass entrance will be 70 feet high! That is very impressive. :D

When is this project suppose to get really heavy underway? They've been starting with small things, but haven't seen any major construction yet.

java script:add_smilie(":offtopic:","smid_34")

offtopic.gif

Is there anything that can be done in order to shrink the size of the pictures, seeing how Firefox has a fit when I load this page?

Have you tried just using Mozilla? I have no problems loading every page on UP. Firefox has a few quirks I can't understand at times.

Have you tried just using Mozilla? I have no problems loading every page on UP. Firefox has a few quirks I can't understand at times.

I thought Firefox was Mozilla's browser these days? Do they still have just a plain jane "mozilla" browser?

RT, they have the latest version on a seperate download page now, since they've started pushing Firefox more. I recommend having them both, for cases such as these. ;)

RT, they have the latest version on a seperate download page now, since they've started pushing Firefox more. I recommend having them both, for cases such as these. ;)

Thanks, Skyliner! Unfortunately, my company has dictated that I must use I.E. (which is ironic considering the fierce competiveness between MS and my company); therefore, I don't have any options really while I'm at work. :(

I may download and play around with it on my, er, uh, the wife's laptop later, though. :thumbsup:

Demolition work has been started on the Expo Center. I'll try to get some pictures next time I'm by, unless someone else can beat me to it.