CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Carolina First Center

gs3

I was at the Expo Center today for a function, and indeed the demo work has started. Just how much of the existing buildings are going to be razed? Anyone know? Most of the facilities seem to be roughly the same age (circa 1960's). The newer part is much smaller. Will the new part be the only part that remains ultimately?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The renovation section of the Palmetto Expo Center's website states something that I did not know: the Palmetto Expo Center is the largest convention center between Atlanta and Washington, DC:

http://www.palmettoexpo.com/renovation/index.php

For comparison's sake, it is/will be much larger than the other convention centers in our state (all data are from the convention center's respective sites)...

Palmetto Expo Center: 315,000 square feet of exhibit space plus 88,000 square feet of meeting and conference space

Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center: 142,500 square foot building

Charleston Area Convention Center: 135,000 square feet of exhibit space, plus a 25,000 square foot ballroom

Myrtle Beach Convention Center: 100,800 square feet of exhibit space, plus 17,000 square feet of ballroom space

The renovations are scheduled to be completed by September 2007. Exciting! :thumbsup:

Thanks sc smitty and Greenville! :thumbsup: This is great to see! I had no idea Palmetto Expo was that large. Is the square footage number for Expo pre or post construction?

I am not sure what the pre- and post-construction numbers are. The "About Us" section of the Palmetto Expo Center's website states the following:

"Palmetto Expo Center is one of the nation's largest convention and meeting facilities with more than 315,000 square feet of exhibit space and 88,000 square feet of meeting and conference space. With a $22 million enhancement plan underway, Palmetto Expo Center will continue to offer unbeatable flexibility and value to groups who are looking to expand their event."

The renovation section of the Palmetto Expo Center's website states something that I did not know: the Palmetto Expo Center is the largest convention center between Atlanta and Washington, DC:

http://www.palmettoexpo.com/renovation/index.php

For comparison's sake, it is/will be much larger than the other convention centers in our state (all data are from the convention center's respective sites)...

Palmetto Expo Center: 315,000 square feet of exhibit space plus 88,000 square feet of meeting and conference space

Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center: 142,500 square foot building

Charleston Area Convention Center: 135,000 square feet of exhibit space, plus a 25,000 square foot ballroom

Myrtle Beach Convention Center: 100,800 square feet of exhibit space, plus 17,000 square feet of ballroom space

The renovations are scheduled to be completed by September 2007. Exciting! :thumbsup:

It's the largest in SC, but the largest between Atlanta and DC? Charlotte and Richmond's convention centers are both much larger than the Palmetto Expo Center. Maybe they mean in terms of exhibit space. Charlotte's convention center has 280K sq ft exhibit space (entire complex: 850K sq ft) and Richmond has 178K sq ft of exhibit space (entire complex: 700K sq ft). The wording should be changed to reflect that fact specifically. Still impressive for the Palmetto Expo Center, though.

The "About Us" link on the Expo Center's home page seems to indicate some 403,000 SF total (315k exhibit; 88k meeting). The "Renovation Update" indicates that the "expansion for a new image" will yield 200,000 SF of contiguous exhibit space (including demolition of Hall A), with no apparent change in the size of the meeting space.

Perhaps the key term here is "contiguous," but this "expansion" looks to me like a downsizing. Not that I am complaining--it is probably appropriate. Am I missing something?

Also, this center isn't going to be truly "complete" until there's a hotel attached to it--any plans?

Finally, does the Expo Center's proximity to the downtown airport makes it more attractive as a convention destination--or if not, is there anyway to capitalize on it?

I believe there is a master plan for the entire Pleasantburg Drive area, which incorporates the Palmetto Expo Center as the focal point. I am not sure if I have actually seen it, or if it is still in the planning stages. If one exists, it has probably been posted somewhere in this forum. I think the plan calls for streetscaping, some hotels, restaurants, and even some retail. I wish I knew a timeframe for these changes, but I don't. Perhaps someone else here does.

From my understanding, some people wanted a downtown convention center because of the proximity to hotels, restaurants, attractions, etc. The city, which now owns the Palmetto Expo Center, decided to keep it where it is and improve that area (which is only a few miles from downtown, and as you know, adjacent to Greenville Downtown Airport). The convention center itself will be really nice, and as we now know, one of the largest in the southeast. Hopefully, the area will improve with the implementation of the master plan. :thumbsup:

I am glad that the city decided to keep the center where it is instead of DT. It will challenge leaders to expand DT and the city outward, they are already looking for ways to "link" DT with the Expo center. This linking of new areas will be a key in helping Greenville to grow, and to grow in a more dense way. Space DT is already limited, and I would not like to see all of it taken up by a convention center. One of the criticisms of Gville and DT is that it is too linear, and other parts of the city are not incorporated. The Expo center is a wonderful opportunity to dispel both of those myths.

I believe there is a master plan for the entire Pleasantburg Drive area, which incorporates the Palmetto Expo Center as the focal point. I am not sure if I have actually seen it, or if it is still in the planning stages. If one exists, it has probably been posted somewhere in this forum. I think the plan calls for streetscaping, some hotels, restaurants, and even some retail. I wish I knew a timeframe for these changes, but I don't. Perhaps someone else here does.

From my understanding, some people wanted a downtown convention center because of the proximity to hotels, restaurants, attractions, etc. The city, which now owns the Palmetto Expo Center, decided to keep it where it is and improve that area (which is only a few miles from downtown, and as you know, adjacent to Greenville Downtown Airport). The convention center itself will be really nice, and as we now know, one of the largest in the southeast. Hopefully, the area will improve with the implementation of the master plan. :thumbsup:

Not sure when this site was last updated, but it is the official website for the Pleasantburg Drive Business & Technology Corrdor masterplan. :thumbsup:

^ Exactly. It might not be in the CBD like Columbia's, but at least it's not way out like Charleston's. I am optimistic that Greenville leaders will make it successful, and bring an improved Pleasantburg area with it.

Skyliner, thanks for posting that link! I knew that if it indeed existed, you would know where it was. :thumbsup:

What's the closest hotel to Palmetto Expo? Could infill in this area consist of shops, bars, restaurants, and a hotel to specifically service the convention center? Or would competition with the Hyatt be a concern?

The Palmetto Expo Center isn't close enough to downtown for downtown hotels like Hyatt, Westin, etc. to be much of a concern. There is a local hotel, the Phoenix Inn, very near the Expo Center. I believe it is a fairly nice place, but also older. I would be shocked if it does significant business, but to be honest I don't know much about it. I frequently forget it is there. Here is the website:

http://www.phoenixgreenvillesinn.com/Phoenix%20Home.htm

There is also an old Comfort Inn close to the Expo Center, but it is obviously not helping the area. Surely it will be purchased and torn down in the future.

To give you a picture of where Pleasantburg Drive and the Expo Center are located, if you leave downtown on I-385, the Pleasantburg Drive exit is a few miles down the road. In another mile or so, you have the midtown area with a lot of stuff (Haywood Mall, Patewood medical area, etc.). There are at least half a dozen hotels there. So basically, the convention center area (and Pleasantburg Drive as a whole) is a prime area located between two very "happening" areas. Thus, people see its potential despite its current state of semi-neglect. Fortunately, there is a lot to work with since the Expo Center, Greenville Downtown Airport (the state's busiest general aviation facility), University Center (an old mall that offers classes from some of the state's largest colleges and universities), and Bob Jones University are all along a several-mile stretch of road. Hopefully the city's master plan for this area will be executed, and some quality urban infill will occur. :thumbsup:

Because of some of these entities Greenville listed, I do not think we need to worry about Pleasantburg ever going away. There are too many important peices in action there. I do think it needs some upgrades, as some of the peices now have some age. Gtech is upgrading its campus, and so id the Expo Center. I think the future is bright for Pleasantburg. A new Hotel/Rest/Retail development would be ideal for the Expo Center, and if that connector road does get built from DT, then I don't think it would be too far for some of the major chains to take a serious look at, if indeed it is already. I also think the new development across from BJU will spark some new things as well.

Given the convention center's location then, with this renovation, I'm sure investment will follow. From the description, I could see a nice Hilton Garden Inn or Marriott Courtyard possibly going up in the vicinity.

I think something like that would be a really good fit.

The Phoenix Inn and Comfort Inn are, despite their names and other attempts to dress themselves up, motels, not hotels.

What the Expo Center needs is a hotel on the scale of the Hyatt or bigger (but the Hilton or Airport Mariott would do) *attached* to the center, preferably with another nice hotel within walking distance. If you're talking about being able to host events up to a maximum of 2,000 people (the Expo Center's stated capacity, I believe), you don't have to accommodate everybody on site, but neither should you have to spread *everybody* out all over the place.

The Phoenix Inn and Comfort Inn are, despite their names and other attempts to dress themselves up, motels, not hotels.

What the Expo Center needs is a hotel on the scale of the Hyatt or bigger (but the Hilton or Airport Mariott would do) *attached* to the center, preferably with another nice hotel within walking distance. If you're talking about being able to host events up to a maximum of 2,000 people (the Expo Center's stated capacity, I believe), you don't have to accommodate everybody on site, but neither should you have to spread *everybody* out all over the place.

You guys completely forgot about the Sleep Inn right across the street from Krispy Kreme. :lol:

Archived