Your Bar

twoshort

Lets discuss where we like to go for a drink and more importantly why you like it?

I would have to say my favorite hole in the wall is The Silver Derby on Burton and Eastern. It defines hole in the wall, the beer is cheap ($3.50 for 36 oz mugs) and the derby dogs can't be beat. The clientel is all neighborhood people, mostly older, but they're very welcoming of the younger crowd. It didn't take long to know most of them by first name, most importantly the owner and bar staff.

On the COMPLETE opposite end of the spectrum is 48 West. I love this place. On Thursdays they have $5.00 martinis (extensive menu) and $2.00 you-call-it. It's a very nice bar with a full food menu as well. They have many of the top shelf liquors includiing Louis XIII (I think it's $150.00 a shot). On thursdays they have a guy playing a grand piano and singing. It's quiet, pretty entertaining, and a great place to relax with a good cocktail and perhaps that special someone. On the weekends it becomes sort of a 40-something meat market, but I highly recommend Thursdays. :)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back when husband was a drinkin' man, it was the Cottage Bar.

We're no longer bar goers, since he's no longer a drinkin' man.

But, our favorite restaurants which just also happen to have bars in them, are:

1. The Cottage Bar

2. One Trick Pony

3. The (late) Grapevine

my two favorites are:

Cottage Bar: Cheap eats (brew fries mmmmm drool.gif, good atmosphere, good beer selection for us beer snobs :P

Founders: Great beer, cool building and location, occasional live music. No food, though, but you can order in pizza or anything else for that matter and have it delivered. Its a great place to blow off some steam on a Friday afternoon

my two favorites are:

Cottage Bar: Cheap eats (brew fries mmmmm drool.gif, good atmosphere, good beer selection for us beer snobs :P

Founders: Great beer, cool building and location, occasional live music. No food, though, but you can order in pizza or anything else for that matter and have it delivered. Its a great place to blow off some steam on a Friday afternoon

I can bring my own food to Founders REALLY?? :w00t:

O'tooles would have to be mine. Not as big a fan when it's packed on a friday night or saturday, but during the day, and just after work I love it. A group of about 6-15 of us meet there every sunday around 1 or 2 to discuss the weekends silliness and to have some beverages and watch the game. Cheap drink specials and food specials on sunday's also are a good thing. Being as we've been regulars from day one it's a great place to go, and everyone just knows everyone else.

I can bring my own food to Founders REALLY?? :w00t:

Yeah, well Schnitz is there weekdays at lunchtime, but yah man, whenever my Dad visits we order a bunch of mexican food to go and take to Founders on a Satuday afternoon. Its the best of both worlds, awesome mexican food goes goes down real nice with a Centennial IPA or Red's Rye. :D

A lot of people get pizzas delivered there on fri/sat nights, too. ;)

I can't believe they let people bring in food! That's awesome! We Love Founders!!! We Love Founders!!!

its a good idea, people are gonna drink a lot more beer if they can eat whatever they want. Heck, I thought everyone knew about that.

Glad I could help B)

its a good idea, people are gonna drink a lot more beer if they can eat whatever they want. Heck, I thought everyone knew about that.

Glad I could help B)

I really have to clarify. I can walk in there with a munchos pizza and no one's going to look at me like i'm nuts? :huh:

I will be following you and your delicious Munchos.. FYI.. :rofl:

:lol: Nope, the reaction will probably be more like "Where'd you get that?!?" That's the reaction my dad and I get when we bring in Tacos el Ganadero. I wouldn't recommend bringing a pizza between 11 and 3 on M-F though, becuase Schnitz deli will probably get mad at you...

:lol: Nope, the reaction will probably be more like "Where'd you get that?!?" That's the reaction my dad and I get when we bring in Tacos el Ganadero. I wouldn't recommend bringing a pizza between 11 and 3 on M-F though, becuase Schnitz deli will probably get mad at you...

i'm workin in holland during those hours.. so it shouldn't be an isse :D Now at 5pm.. that's another story

This one is a no brainer for me...Cottage Bar. My wife and I are regulars there every Thursday night for dinner and drinks, and either Friday or Saturday night with our friends. We are all in the 40 something crowd, so its laid back atmosphere suits us well.

If we are looking for something a bit fancier or more formal, we usually end up at either Bull's Head or 48 West.

If my wife and I are looking for a REAL special night, we will hit Bar Divani.

While it's not my No. 1 favorite (the best secrets are kept ;) ), Nick Fink's is worth a trip to Comstock Park. If you go, sit in the back in one of the high-back black vinyl booths and wonder (as I have often done) why on earth they ever "renovated" the front half of the bar. Great jukebox, too ... if you like AC/DC sandwiched between Frank Sinatra and pop country.

If you like Quinn and Toots yu should check out Fenian's in Conklin - sure Q&T is also listed as an authetic Irish pub but it doesn't hold a candle to Fenian's.

Other than that, my normal bars are almost all West Side holes. Joeys Lounge is my newest favorite. I will give the Silver Derby props though, went there a few times and always had tons of fun. Can't beat Duke's on the near East side either.

I would say that is a pretty easy answer. They don't get any of the bar-hoppers downtown to trek up Monroe.

I think a brewery would do well on Ionia where a lot of the other popular bars are. But I would miss the short walk from my office. Founders should stay right where they are IMO. :D

Man, ever since I've lived in deteriorating Wyoming, I went the Cocktailz (the old Silver Spur) on Chicago Drive and Godfrey. Been going there for almost 10 years now. I love it. It's a big hole in the wall "SPorts Bar."

Black Rose, Bar Divani and Gil's Fish House in the BOB are my regular spots dt.

Archived