CONSTRUCTION THREAD: McBee Station

gs3

Wow! Great shots. I didn't realize the apartment portion would be so large. Major impact. :thumbsup:

They are definitely adding density and spreading downtown outward, as we all have been anticipating. I love the way Downtown Greenville has built such a powerful urban spine and has been gradually building upon that spine to spread its appeal outward. Great leadership is definitely the most awesome and important element in our city's recent history, bringing tremendous (and even surprising) success to a place that was nearly dead three decades ago. :tough::shades:

Edited by Skyliner

• 2 weeks later...

:w00t: I can't believe the footprint of this development! Just got back in town today after a couple of weeks away. Driving over the Church Street bridge from the Augusta Road area toward Bi-Lo Center, this development makes a huge impact! Definitely a much greater number of housing units than I realized. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I don't suppose they are going to allow grills on those porches! Am I the only one who has noticed that despite it's very nice design and footprint, that these are almost 100% wood? I didn't see any steel or concrete framing as this biggin' went up.

When I first moved here and was trying to find a house, I lived in an apartment complex on The Parkway and I'm sure they were wood frame. Had a grill on my deck and grilled nightly. Is that illegal? :dontknow:

When I first moved here and was trying to find a house, I lived in an apartment complex on The Parkway and I'm sure they were wood frame. Had a grill on my deck and grilled nightly. Is that illegal? :dontknow:

Pretty sure its a big ole fire hazzard and there are local fire codes against their use, especially in giant wooden structures. :unsure:

I don't suppose they are going to allow grills on those porches! Am I the only one who has noticed that despite it's very nice design and footprint, that these are almost 100% wood? I didn't see any steel or concrete framing as this biggin' went up.

Electric Grills are typically fine...it's the gas and charcoal grills that present a problem. I used to have a very nice electric grill when I was living in apartments in Orlando. You can usually get them at Home Depot or Lowes.

Edited by RestedTraveler

If i'm not mistaken, thers a law saying that you have to be at least 10 feet away from a structure when using a grill (open flame). When I first moved to SC. I didn't know that and I had a big argument with my apt. manager. He told me that I had to be in a parking space out front of my apt. I told him that every one would be all up in my grill. I thought it was funny but he didn't seem to get it. So I went out and got a nice electric grill and kept it on my balcony. As soon as he came to complain I had to argue with him that theres no law saying anything about using an electric grill. And that was the end of it, I still enjoy as he walks by and give him a cheers and smile at him while I'm grillin. :shades:

All dinner preparation aside, my main question was that for a project of this size, I thought it seemed odd/unstable/dangerous/cheap to be using so much wood without steel or concrete for framing. I would also assume that you would be hearing your neighbors through those walls, floors and ceilings more as well. I'd also sleep with a fire extinguisher under my pillow at night. ;)

This is SO not my area of expertise, but I've been watching these things go up on almost a daily basis, and I was shocked that you could build a structure of this size with no sign of concrete or steel. I tell you what -- grills aside, no way would I move into one of these. Someone 2 floors away and 5 doors down could knock over a candle and poof! There goes everything. I'm sure it's less expensive to construct, and I don't doubt that codes are being followed. I'm just surprised (naive, I suppose) about what a builder can get away with. And don't get me started on the balconies.

I live in area now where condos are being thrown up left and right. Usually low rise (5 floors or less) condos without mixed use are built with wood. All of the highrises and mixed use buildings are generally concrete. You don't see alot of residential using steel.

This is SO not my area of expertise, but I've been watching these things go up on almost a daily basis, and I was shocked that you could build a structure of this size with no sign of concrete or steel. I tell you what -- grills aside, no way would I move into one of these. Someone 2 floors away and 5 doors down could knock over a candle and poof! There goes everything. I'm sure it's less expensive to construct, and I don't doubt that codes are being followed. I'm just surprised (naive, I suppose) about what a builder can get away with. And don't get me started on the balconies.

There are codes for this stuff, the wood between units will likely be skinned in Type X Gypsum Board or some other materials to create a fire rated barrier. Nothing to fear, there are hundreds of thosaunds of apartment buildings throughout the US made of wood. Plus these buildings are probubly sprinkled as well.

Great update Skyliner. :thumbsup: McBee is really taking shape.

I'm with you linkerjpatrick. Church Street bridge should receive some kind of beautiful makeover. Imagine great streetlights along the sides....decorative railing.....could be awesome. :thumbsup:

I think that spending money on that bridge would be a waste of money, painting the railings green was graet, but at this time doing anything more would be a waste of money, there are other areas downtown that would be a better place to spend that money.

I think that spending money on that bridge would be a waste of money, painting the railings green was graet, but at this time doing anything more would be a waste of money, there are other areas downtown that would be a better place to spend that money.

Normally I would agree with you but the bridge itself is looking rather "long in the tooth" and it may be due for an upgrade. I walk across the Camperdown and Cleveland bridges that go over the church street bridge and the structure on those are not looking well at all. Another thing is a P.R. issues. The local news reports from their a lot a shows the bridge in the distance and a lot of people coming into Greenville see that as one of the first things. At the least is could stand a good pressure washing.

Another thing I have noticed during my lunchtime walks that I wish could be cleaned up is the big honking pipes that go through Cleveland Park. In particular the area near the Rudolph Anderson Memorial (BTW, I saw the movie Thirteen Days this past week and it was interesting to see Anderson get a significant recognition in that movie) under the Cleveland and Chruch Street areas. I know it might sound silly but since it is a park it would be interesting if they were painted in some fun colors, especially for the kids. The trail under the Cleveland Street bridge (near Savory Corner) looks very disturbing with the crumbling bridge work, rusty pipes, etc.

Another thing I have noticed during my lunchtime walks that I wish could be cleaned up is the big honking pipes that go through Cleveland Park. In particular the area near the Rudolph Anderson Memorial I know it might sound silly but since it is a park it would be interesting if they were painted in some fun colors, especially for the kids. The trail under the Cleveland Street bridge (near Savory Corner) looks very disturbing with the crumbling bridge work, rusty pipes, etc.

I thought I was the only person that thought huge black rusty sewer pipes that are visible from McDaniel running through Cleveland Park were an eyesore. I am amazed that they are still there (visible) after all of this time.

I say forget about painting them, lets throw some dirt on them and put them underground where they belong!

Ok, the ones under the bridge that cant be covered might look good painted. :thumbsup:

Edited by gvegascple

When I brought my sister and her family to Cleveland Park, she commented on the big ugly drainage pipes. It was nice seeing Major Anderson's plane get spruced up recently.

I remember those being topics of discussion when I was much younger. Anybody remember what and why whatever happened? :dontknow: