CONSTRUCTION THREAD: McBee Station

gs3

In addition to the section of McBee St. that's been closed for ages now, they've just in the last few days closed the ramp that runs from Church Street to E. McBee St. -- the one that loops around behind The Davenport. With so much construction downtown, that ramp was REALLY useful, since (between McBee Station, the stormwater project, and the Peacock barriers) there are fewer ways to get from here to there than usual.

I'm all for just about anything that helps speed up construction on McBee Station, but I just wondered if anyone had heard anything about how long that ramp will be closed? And for that matter, how much longer McBee St. outside McBee Station will be closed?

In addition to the section of McBee St. that's been closed for ages now, they've just in the last few days closed the ramp that runs from Church Street to E. McBee St. -- the one that loops around behind The Davenport. With so much construction downtown, that ramp was REALLY useful, since (between McBee Station, the stormwater project, and the Peacock barriers) there are fewer ways to get from here to there than usual.

I'm all for just about anything that helps speed up construction on McBee Station, but I just wondered if anyone had heard anything about how long that ramp will be closed? And for that matter, how much longer McBee St. outside McBee Station will be closed?

Speaking of which, when is McBee Station slated to open its doors?

Not sure how much of McBee is being repaved other than in front of the new development, but it would great if they went all the way to Main or past Main. A bit off topic, but I'd love to see the city embark on a downtown center city repaving project. :thumbsup:

Yeah, that seriously ticked me off this morning when I was planning on coming down the ramp, and the city has absolutely no signage before the ramp to let you know. I ended up going the wrong freaking way on Washington because it put me in the turn lane. The city seriously needs to get its act together on street closures in this area of downtown. Spring is unusable, Broad is a mess, McBee is closed for a project that might not happen - come on traffic engineers! Get out and drive around instead of watching it happen through the windows at City Hall!

Does anybody know about anymore tenants (beside Stapes and Publix) for McBee station?

Are the condos build on top of the small retail spaces?

Originally their were going to be 22 condos?

Does anybody know any details about the condos?

Does anybody know about anymore tenants (beside Stapes and Publix) for McBee station?

Are the condos build on top of the small retail spaces?

Originally their were going to be 22 condos?

Does anybody know any details about the condos?

Good question. Who is marketing those condos? I have not seen one bit of adverisement about them?

Yes, the condos are on top of the retail spaces. There is an underground tunnel that comes out of the lower level of the parking garage. This tunnel comes up beside the publix and near the elevator so people can ride it up to the second floor of the condo spaces that is above the retail. I dont know who is marketing them though. Good question. The apartment buildings are going to have a flat roof like you see when you go over church street bridge. They have a pretty big impact . More than i had expected.

Edited by erm1981

Good question. Who is marketing those condos? I have not seen one bit of adverisement about them?

I think the Gibson Co. said in a newpapers article a while back that they would not market the condos till they were complete. You get more money on finished product and they can afford to wait. That is why you see so many people making good money flipping condos.

Yes, the condos are on top of the retail spaces. There is an underground tunnel that comes out of the lower level of the parking garage. This tunnel comes up beside the publix and near the elevator so people can ride it up to the second floor of the condo spaces that is above the retail. I dont know who is marketing them though. Good question. The apartment buildings are going to have a flat roof like you see when you go over church street bridge. They have a pretty big impact . More than i had expected.

They do make quite an impact! :thumbsup: I was just hoping that at least some of them would have some non-flat roof lines. Our buildings and developments DT are overwhelmingly flat! It looks as if Paul Bunyun came along with his axe and chopped off the tops of all the buildings. :rolleyes: It just seems a shame for our city and developers to put so much into redeveloping and growing our city, only to have a (frankly) boring roofline to all of them. Let's have some interesting and unique tops, just to change up the views a bit. It doesn't have to be anything over-the-top, overly elaborate, or forced, just some rooflines with shape (not just talking about McBee here, but all developments!).

I spoke to the fellow that will be marketing the 22 condos. He said they would be totally finished out by Greenville-based "Postcards from Paris." Everything will be chosen by PFP -- such as GE Monogram series, granite counters, etc. -- so there won't be any options, which makes it easier for him to market and sell them. He is with Trammell Crow, the Dallas-based developer and said the commercial side of the development is where the real profit is coming from, so he's trying not to make a killing on the condos. I believe he said he was thinking of charging $250 sq foot so a 1,000 sq ft condo would go for $250K up to $650K for a 2,600 sq ft condo, which would be the largest. The latter would have two stories, circular fireplace, built-in home theater, rooftop terrace, etc. Each condo would have dedicated parking in the parking structure, and access to pool and clubhouse. He said he wanted a contemporary interior look to the condos.

I spoke to the fellow that will be marketing the 22 condos. He said they would be totally finished out by Greenville-based "Postcards from Paris." Everything will be chosen by PFP -- such as GE Monogram series, granite counters, etc. -- so there won't be any options, which makes it easier for him to market and sell them. He is with Trammell Crow, the Dallas-based developer and said the commercial side of the development is where the real profit is coming from, so he's trying not to make a killing on the condos. I believe he said he was thinking of charging $250 sq foot so a 1,000 sq ft condo would go for $250K up to $650K for a 2,600 sq ft condo, which would be the largest. The latter would have two stories, circular fireplace, built-in home theater, rooftop terrace, etc. Each condo would have dedicated parking in the parking structure, and access to pool and clubhouse. He said he wanted a contemporary interior look to the condos.

Sounds great! Thanks for the update, and welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the insight and welcome! Was anything mentioned about who may be coming to the commercial side of the development in addition to Staples and Pulbix?

Thanks for the insight and welcome! Was anything mentioned about who may be coming to the commercial side of the development in addition to Staples and Pulbix?

I don't know about the commercial side of the development as I was only interested in the condos. Sorry I cannot add anything there.

• 2 weeks later...

Signs of progress! Great. I think that light pole needs some help :lol: .

I hope the city plans to do some work on the bridge, both the underside and the topside. The lights could be replaced-- they replaced the lights on the Main Street bridge and it looks a million times better. I don't think the same lights would work, but replacing them with black poles and more pedestrian scaled lights (if that makes sense) would be a start.