CONSTRUCTION THREAD: McBee Station

gs3

Does the color of brick used on McBee Station look better in person than it does in pictures? It looks good in g-man's picture on June 4, but I don't like it as much in this recent picture by tech_bus_student. Some insight from those who have seen it in person would be great!

This is not a jab at your brick masonry, erm1981, but rather a question about the color. :thumbsup:

Does the color of brick used on McBee Station look better in person than it does in pictures? It looks good in g-man's picture on June 4, but I don't like it as much in this recent picture by tech_bus_student. Some insight from those who have seen it in person would be great!

This is not a jab at your brick masonry, erm1981, but rather a question about the color. :thumbsup:

I'm just happy that they are finally adding material that is not flammable.

I LOVE the color of the brick at McBee Station. I think it looks awesome in person. I'd compare it to what went on the Fieldhouse. No worries, IMO. I'm not sure about the apartments's brick, though the retail/condo portions if great.

Thanks for the response, GvilleSC. I really like the Fieldhouse brick, so that is good to hear. :)

The brick in that last picture just looked light brown and bland to me, but it sounds like it was just the picture (or my eyes).

Don't go by my pics. I use a cell phone and that was done while moving. It's a beautiful project and it changes all the time now so it's fun to drive by!

Edited by tech_bus_student

Signs of progress! Great. I think that light pole needs some help :lol: .

I hope the city plans to do some work on the bridge, both the underside and the topside. The lights could be replaced ... replacing them with black poles and more pedestrian scaled lights (if that makes sense) would be a start.

Like the famous #17 lamp posts that are throughout Falls Park and around West End Field. :thumbsup:

^^^The brick will only go up about halfway at most then the rest is stucco.....i dont like it either. I would have rather had all brick on those but we are not involved with the apartments. The brickwork and stucco on the condos/store's looks great IMO. They were putting up some clearance post for big trucks to not go through today on the parking garage. They are a silver galvanized color. We will be through with the brick on the staples this week and that will be it for us. We will then be going to the university center at the hospital to do the masonry work on it.

The Brick will all be the same on them. Maybe the color of the stucco will be different. Like Green, purple, orange, blue, red. LOL

Yes, the stucco is what I'm referring to. Though I'm not really sure how many different colors they possibly have to make them... But like I said, it may not be all of them, just some varying in some way...

I don't think stucco would look as tacky as siding, but maybe that's just me...

Take a trip to Florida sometime and look at buildings that were covered in stucco which have settled. The stucco cracks/chips/falls off. Additionally, impacts from flying objects (birds, hail, etc.) can really leave their mark on stucco. It can potentially look very tacky if not maintained frequently. A proper shingle siding or even typical siding, if the colors are chosen properly, could complement the brick very nicely.

Did anyone notice how the brick were corbeled out at the top on the publix and staples buildings? I think it would have been better if the apartments would have all been brick and then had this corbeling out around the top the set the brick off that much more. Its just cheaper to throw on some stucco then to hire actual brick masons to lay the brick one at a time. That is what it all boils down too.

Hi all, wish I had found this site sooner....lots of questions have been answered for me about Mcbee Station. I live at the Davenport, right across the street from the project, my red car was always parked at the back corner, have a truck now though. Watching all of this go on right outside of my home has been an experience. Let me tell you, I will be so glad when this is finished. I was on 3rd shift up until about 3 months ago when I told my boss I could no longer sleep during the day because of all the construction sounds. So they took me off 3rd.

When they closed the ramp from church st. to mcbee st., that backhoe going across the pavement was my alarm clock for about a week, lol. I know some of you will be glad when that ramp opens back up.

Anyways, just wanted to say hi to everyone :D

Edited by javajunkie