CONSTRUCTION THREAD: McBee Station

gs3

• 1 year later...

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, gvegascple said:

Whats going on with the work on McBee Station?  Is it because stick built and too high to weather well over time?  There are a lot of other places going up like these around here....

Roof design flaws and problems with the way the stucco was applied I heard.

You'd think the downtown demand for stationery would be strong, but that was well in the past. Today's trendy urban residents thrive in a digital world. Meanwhile, downtown businesses sit back and enjoy next-day delivery from Office Depot or Greenville Office Supply. When I had an office downtown, the only time I went to the McBee Station Staples was when I needed something sooner than overnight, which was seldom. When I did go there, I rarely saw any other patrons. You could hold a protest rally in the parking lot and no one would notice. Conventional wisdom may be conventional, but it is almost never wise. I will say this: the regular prices at Staples seem to be better than discounted prices at Office Depot/Office Max, but that, sadly, may be too little and too late for the Big Red of stationers.

• Like 1

Losing Staples is unfortunate.  I'm guessing that the store has maybe a 10-year lease but is looking to find a replacement tenant so it can leave.

A TJ Maxx would be a good replacement: an expanding retailer replacing a shrinking one.  The site really needs destination retail or neighborhood convenience retail; a store that is neither won't make it there.  I was also thinking that the Cheesecake Factory would have been a good addition to McBee Station but that's clearly not happening now.

12 hours ago, vistatiger said:

There is a Staples just a few miles away at Cherrydale. No Big Deal. What would be nice and convenient if a small urban Target would come to that spot that carries general merch.

Great point. Couldn't the site be reconfigured for a "real" Target?  Not sure if people would want to deal with a parking garage, but a "real" Target could fit on the site if parking were reworked.  Maybe a Walmart Neighborhood Market (or an upscale version of one, if such a thing exists)?

On 8/4/2016 at 4:23 PM, btoy said:

Looks like Staples is to close, their space is being marketed "for lease".

Maybe, maybe not. 

Google "McBee Station Pazdan" and PDF file is available, showing McBee Station as being for sale.

The file says that Publix has had strong sales growth each year and is well-above the chain's average.  Its lease expires in 2027.

Staples' lease expires in 2017.  The file doesn't talk much about Staples.  It must have performed decently enough to stay in business for 10 years but isn't a superstar, I'd guess.

Either way, I see a TJ Maxx or Walmart Neighborhood Market coming to the Staples space in 2017. I have no knowledge whatsoever of that actually happening, but it's my intuition.

44 minutes ago, mallguy said:

Maybe, maybe not. 

Google "McBee Station Pazdan" and PDF file is available, showing McBee Station as being for sale.

The file says that Publix has had strong sales growth each year and is well-above the chain's average.  Its lease expires in 2027.

Staples' lease expires in 2017.  The file doesn't talk much about Staples.  It must have performed decently enough to stay in business for 10 years but isn't a superstar, I'd guess.

Either way, I see a TJ Maxx or Walmart Neighborhood Market coming to the Staples space in 2017. I have no knowledge whatsoever of that actually happening, but it's my intuition.

Walmart NM won't happen since Publix is there. I like the Staples being there especially with the traffic at Cherry dale which is continuously increasing. You say that people can just go to Cherry dale since is close but it don't see TJ Maxx moving there when there is one in Cherry dale already. 

I wish Target would open a store on Wade Hampton near the Harris Teeter going in. There is a big enough chunck of land over there. Plus a petsmart. The one on Laurens is wack

I agree. Walmart Neighborhood Market will not happen at McBee Station with Publix in the same center. You better believe their  lease stipulates no other grocery there. TJMaxx already has a store too close at Cherrydale however the TJX company might consider Marshalls or Homegoods.

Target just seems to be building small 20,000 to 30,000 sq feet stores now in Urban areas that carry electronics/tech, health and beauty, kitchen and household supplies , seasonal and limited clothing. No grocery, That would seem to fit the Staples footprint.

• Like 2

On 8/4/2016 at 4:23 PM, btoy said:

Looks like Staples is to close, their space is being marketed "for lease".

You may be right Brad, I know you know a lot more about this stuff than most of us. But... I had reason to go there yesterday and called ahead of time and said I was calling to make sure they were open as I had heard they may be closing. The lady on the phone kinda laughed and said I was the second person to ask her that, but that they had not heard that. I also noticed "now hiring' signs on the front and the store seemed quite busy, despite their sky high prices. 

• 5 months later...

It really makes me uneasy seeing the city have a say in the colors owners choose.  Particularly because they are inconsistent with their application of it.  I mean, really, look at those drawings, what is wrong with the blue?  Why do we want everything just to be earth tones, soo boring.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Why does McBee Station have such undesirable retail tenants?

Publix, Staples and Great Clips are all retail tenants that people like.  But the others are ones that attract maybe 5 people per day.

Why didn’t the owners lure more desirable tenants? Why didn’t the Cheesecake Factory come here, for example?