CONSTRUCTION THREAD: McBee Station

gs3

Welcome aboard! I'm sure you can provide great construction updates for all of us! Do you have a nice view for pictures?

I have a great view of the store front from Mcbee, but some trees and that store front blocks a lot of the rest of it...no problem though, I can walk to the bridge in 30 seconds and have a great view. The Mcbee ramp has been cut into two sections at the end with a nice island separating them. It's now easy to make a left turn or you can just follow the ramp on through like before. I just hope they place "wrong way" signs in better places. I've been living here 10 1/2 years and you will be surprised how many people get confused and travel the wrong way up the ramp lol.

I have a great view of the store front from Mcbee, but some trees and that store front blocks a lot of the rest of it...no problem though, I can walk to the bridge in 30 seconds and have a great view. The Mcbee ramp has been cut into two sections at the end with a nice island separating them. It's now easy to make a left turn or you can just follow the ramp on through like before. I just hope they place "wrong way" signs in better places. I've been living here 10 1/2 years and you will be surprised how many people get confused and travel the wrong way up the ramp lol.

:lol: I never thought about that ever being a problem. Of course, I've seen people go down Washington Street thinking it's a one way street. yikes!

They were getting the curb ready today that is going to run down beside the far end of the staples. We had to go work at the hospital job but they were going to be pouring it today. I would look for this thing to be almost open by august sometime.

-Evan

100_0855.jpg

This shot is from the parking deck, Publix's is the building on the far left. In the brick building in the foreground are steps and an elevator to the lower parking deck. The interior of the publix is about finished. :thumbsup:

100_0854.jpg

This shot is from Mcbee. This is turning out to be a great project and should have a big impact on downtown. Very urban feeling. :thumbsup:

I think the stucco on the apartments makes them look cheap and unfinished.

I disagree now that the first one looks more finished. It's not a cheap "yellow" stucco that you find on houses. It blends well with the brick and I think they'll end up looking nice.

The condos look nice too, adding variety to the street front. To each their own.

• 2 weeks later...

I completely agree with the first part, DL. The combination of design, texture, and color is quite appealing in an urban setting like downtown Greenville. :thumbsup:

To answer your question, yes, the parking surface will remain, but it is important to realize that it is a deck and not just a lot. Below the surface is another whole layer of parking, which will really help considering how many commercial, retail, and residential units are involved. It is actually not a bad-looking surface "lot" as parking lots typically go. Ideally we would have an underground deck with buildings on the surface (like RiverPlace), but this is not terribly bad in my opinion.

They put up the signs yesterday for the publix. I think they look nice. I took some pics with my camera phone for you all to see . The quality isnt the best but you can see what the sign looks like.

post-10514-1185395767_thumb.jpg

post-10514-1185396010_thumb.jpg

Edited by erm1981

Thanks, Staples should be open tomorrow. Everyone go by and take a look inside.

I noticed today that McBee Street and the access ramp from Church Street are totally back open. McBee Street looks terrific. Also, Staples is open, as erm said it would be -- there's a giant "now open" banner on the side of the building, and small signs along the street to let people know. Hopefully that means Publix is not far behind!