CONSTRUCTION THREAD: McBee Station

gs3

I heard from someone today -- who'd inquired about rental pricing on the apartments a few months ago when they first promoted the website -- that the prices have gone UP from what they were originally. He said the smallest 2 BR was now listed at over $1100, plus $50/month for water/sewer, plus $15/month for a parking space. He said he guessed that maybe demand had led the developers to up the rates, but that regardless, with all the "nickel and diming" as he put it, with water/sewer/parking, he wasn't sure it was going to be worth it for him.

That said, if the agents can sell that pricepoint, it may mean that the average income level of residents will ultimately be higher. And more people spending more money downtown.

I heard from someone today -- who'd inquired about rental pricing on the apartments a few months ago when they first promoted the website -- that the prices have gone UP from what they were originally. He said the smallest 2 BR was now listed at over $1100, plus $50/month for water/sewer, plus $15/month for a parking space. He said he guessed that maybe demand had led the developers to up the rates, but that regardless, with all the "nickel and diming" as he put it, with water/sewer/parking, he wasn't sure it was going to be worth it for him.

That said, if the agents can sell that pricepoint, it may mean that the average income level of residents will ultimately be higher. And more people spending more money downtown.

Those initial rates were likely low because 1) at 100% vacancy, you want to get some SIGNATURES on leases. Once the units are getting taken good, the risk is lower and the rate can start to climb 2) as a new product, the demand is untested, the verdict is now in 3)the $650 figure that was posted was likely for the smallest, no view unit. The prices, even initially, probably took an immediate hike from that 'teaser' rate. The early birds got the worms, at least until it is time to RENEW the lease.

And hopefully less risk of things deteriorating around there with crime, property abuse, and neglect.

Those problems are more closely associated with vacancy and visibility than price-point.

It's brand-spanking new... it's visible... it's going to be full. You could make the spaces rent-free and crime, property abuse, and neglect wouldn't be an issue.

• 3 weeks later...

FIREHOUSE downtown?!?! Life couldn't get too much better than this. I guess the Coffee Shop gets a nod. I think it'd be funny if a third Port City Java opened downtown :)

I've heard a lot of good things about Peet's Coffee at least as far as the quality of the coffee goes. Would also be nice to see Leopard Forest expand.

YES We have firehouse subs in Tallahassee, Im glad to know that when i visit greenville i will be in food heaven

Makes sense that you'd have one in Tally, given that they're HQ'd out of Jax. :-) We've got plenty of them in Greenville ... my favorite one is on Pelham Road, near Publix. We just don't have one downtown ... yet. We've got Jersey Mike's downtown. We've got Subway downtown. We've got Jimmy Johns downtown. We've got Quizno's downtown. We're missing Firehouse. If one does open at McBee Station, that'd be perfect! :P

Makes sense that you'd have one in Tally, given that they're HQ'd out of Jax. :-) We've got plenty of them in Greenville ... my favorite one is on Pelham Road, near Publix. We just don't have one downtown ... yet. We've got Jersey Mike's downtown. We've got Subway downtown. We've got Jimmy Johns downtown. We've got Quizno's downtown. We're missing Firehouse. If one does open at McBee Station, that'd be perfect! :P

If we can just get a Potbelly Sandwich Works somewhere downtown or in the West End, we'll be set. ;)

http://www.potbelly.com/

I know I am a little late jumping into the conversation.

How much Pedestrian traffic do you think McBee Station will get from people who dont live there? I know the goal is to create a vibrant pedestian enviroment in places other than Main Street. Destinations like McBee Station are needed to do that. I am just curious to see how many pedestrians will detach themselves from Main and walk the three blocks. I lived in one of the older apt. buildings down McBee untill earlier this summer and am disapointed that I left right before it opened. I think this is a wonderful addition to the urban fabric of Greenville.

To the discussion a few posts back, as far as the rent goes, I am confident there will be tons of demand to sustain those apartments. It has been a serious challenge to find downtown apartments, unless you were truly commited to the search. In between wait lists, cost, and virtually no new units it was a challenge.

I know I am a little late jumping into the conversation.

How much Pedestrian traffic do you think McBee Station will get from people who dont live there?

Depends on how "fun" they make it. Go to Myrtle Beach or Gatlinburg or some other tourist town and people will walk for miles but in Greenville you will see people circling the same block to find the elusive parking space.

Great point about the parking. The irony is that there is free parking galore in garages. Point being: Our sense of a walkable distance is still pretty juvenile as far as urban cities go.

I think a lot of people don't know about the free parking galore if it is there. I know of free parking on the weekends and after 5:30pm but most garages I know charge during the day. Also I think we still have a lot of "dead spots" that people don't feel safe walking in. I personally do a lot of walking myself. I work at the corner of Camperdown and Cleveland and often walk to Coffee Underground and even as far as the Hyatt. However the walk from Main Street to McBee Station feels like you are leaving downtown and walking in the middle of traffic past wide open lots, etc.

I think a lot of people don't know about the free parking galore if it is there. I know of free parking on the weekends and after 5:30pm but most garages I know charge during the day. Also I think we still have a lot of "dead spots" that people don't feel safe walking in. I personally do a lot of walking myself. I work at the corner of Camperdown and Cleveland and often walk to Coffee Underground and even as far as the Hyatt. However the walk from Main Street to McBee Station feels like you are leaving downtown and walking in the middle of traffic past wide open lots, etc.

I agree.

The intersection of Spring and McBee is a great example of different attitudes towards the street (assuming there is not sewer construction at the time) and how that creates dead space.

-The Bookends Building fully imbraces the pedestrian by being built to the sidewalk with retail/ office/ and residential entrances on the sidewalk.

-The Suit Building makes overtures toward the pedestrian. It is built to the side walk with a few pedestrian entrances. However all of the frontage of the building is devoted to office uses, rendering it "dead," unless you work there. It does give you the framework for a comfortable urban space.

-The SunTrust Building looks like an 80's suburban diadem. It has reflective windows, a lovely hedge between the building and the sidewalk, and a massive entrance cut into the facade of the biulding. The space created by the entrance is littered with planters. It completely turns its back on the street and sidewalk by buffering and pulling away.

I find it facinating how simple details like that make or break a space. That is one of the best non-Main Street intersections in Greenville! It is far better than many of the streets in downtown.

Edited by rattler

This goes back to a previous debate that we've had... but it echoes my point that we need to eliminate the free spots on Main and make the garages free. This will give the anti-pedestrian mentality that we have a kick in the pants. People think parking is a problem because if you don't get a close-in spot, you not only have to walk further, but you have to pay for it too. Once people are obligated to walk a block or two everytime they come downtown, they won't think twice about walking three or four blocks. Right now getting people to walk a couple blocks is like getting people to volunteer for a root canal.

Edited by breed

...Right now getting people to walk a couple blocks is like getting people to volunteer for a root canal.

Hmm...giving or receiving end?

I love parking in the Spring Street or Richardson Street garages and walking...doesn't bother me one bit. I wouldn't mind seeing all of the garages free after 6:00pm and on weekends, but I don't know about putting meters on the street spaces really...not so sure that'd fly very well the more I think about it.