CONSTRUCTION THREAD: McBee Station

gs3

This goes back to a previous debate that we've had... but it echoes my point that we need to eliminate the free spots on Main and make the garages free. This will give the anti-pedestrian mentality that we have a kick in the pants. People think parking is a problem because if you don't get a close-in spot, you not only have to walk further, but you have to pay for it too. Once people are obligated to walk a block or two everytime they come downtown, they won't think twice about walking three or four blocks. Right now getting people to walk a couple blocks is like getting people to volunteer for a root canal.

I dont think we are quite there yet with charging people to park on Main St. There are some business owners with the myopic view that the one spot in front of their store is the only patron they get and when it is occupied for two hours (as a result of not having a meter there ) they lose business. We want to encourage people downtown and give them enough time to walk past mutiple shops and spend money in more than one place when deciding to come downtown and not just rush in for 15 minutes, hit one shop and then leave. That will not contribute to a sucessful and thriving downtown economy.

When Downtwon becomes real destination and people are fighting for parking spaces because there are more people than spaces downtown, that is the time to put up meters. We are not there yet in my opinion.

Edited by gvegascple

Hmm...giving or receiving end?

I love parking in the Spring Street or Richardson Street garages and walking...doesn't bother me one bit. I wouldn't mind seeing all of the garages free after 6:00pm and on weekends, but I don't know about putting meters on the street spaces really...not so sure that'd fly very well the more I think about it.

There's a reason why nothing happens off of Main Street. No one is there. Right now, there is an artificial cap on the number of people that downtown can accomodate with free parking. Meanwhile, all the parking garages sit vacant. It seems like a waste of space to have all these unused garages sitting around while people complain about downtown parking. We aren't going to take the next step downtown until we abandon the "though shall not walk" mentality.

I think downtown is strong enough to overcome any minor disruption parking meters would cause. People complained about parking for the Drive games... but all those complaints seem silly now.

When Downtwon becomes real destination and people are fighting for parking spaces because there are more people than spaces downtown, that is the time to put up meters. We are not there yet in my opinion.

Downtown isn't a real destination? People are fighting over spaces during lunch, enough that I have colleagues who don't come downtown for lunch as a result... despite the fact that there are literally thousands of vacant spaces in garages. There's something wrong with that picture.

Downtown isn't a real destination? People are fighting over spaces during lunch, enough that I have colleagues who don't come downtown for lunch as a result... despite the fact that there are literally thousands of vacant spaces in garages. There's something wrong with that picture.

I personally didn't realize they were as many free parking spaces in garages as mentioned on this forum. I do know most are free on evenings and weekends. In the past I have had to pay to use the Richardson St. and the one between the Insigna Towers unless the tickets were validated.

Also as far as I know most of the garages only take cash and I rarely have cash on me. I either use a check card or credit card because they are either more convient and they help me control my spending. Do any of the garages take "plastic?" If they do they don't advertise it. I wouldn't even mind paying a little bit and even a little bit more for an extended stay if I knew they could take a check card but I don't want to make a special trip to the bank to get cash out just to park. It would be one thing if I felt I needed to park somewhere on a regualar basis. I would either get a monthly permit or withdraw enough cash to cover myself but since I have a free spot at my office which is several blocks from Main Street I just walk or if the weather is bad I am more inclined to look for a parking space.

You are right, it is a destination, but not one that puts more strain on parking than we can support. If I were to follow the logic that putting up meters would solve your colleagues' problem of comming downtown for lunch, they still wouldnt come downtown. If they wont pay in a garage, they wont pay at a meter. And those spots where meters are would most likely still be full during lunch anyway.

My point was to focus on continuing to build upon what draws people downtown and be cautious about driving people away. Would your colleagues suddenly change their minds and decide to come downtown if they knew there were meters there? I suspect it would be one more nail in that coffin instead. Parking downtown in garages is CHEAP and CLOSE by many downtown standards. We just need to ensure that it is always worth the trip and the expense. If you're lucky enough to get one of those 50 spots right on mainstreet, great. But you should not expect it when comming downtown anymore, those days are long gone. We should not try to solve that problem anymore anyway, that is a symptom (a lot of people comming downtown) that we want to have.

If any of you have ever been to downtown Columbia when it is crowded (e.g., a weekend), you know that the parking situation stinks. Most of Columbia's activity is in the Vista, and the Vista's problem is that there are only so many free spaces. Those fill up quickly, so people either have to park where there is a meter or keep driving. Granted, the meters are not running at night or on Sundays, but there are no convenient parking buildings to the Vista. They just built a new one near the new Hilton, but it is not completed yet (nor is it going to be especially convenient). Five Points, to my knowledge, does not have any parking garages either. Just more metered spaces and limited street parking.

Do not even get me started on Charleston's parking situation. It is expected that you will usually drive around for a while before getting a space. But you have to be careful, because the roads (especially the non-major thoroughfares) are dark and narrow. Plus, if you park in a residential-zoned neighborhood then you have to have the proper permit. It's such a hassle there.

I know we don't necessarily compare ourselves to Columbia or Charleston, but I think it is appropriate here. And trust me, Greenville has a LOT better situation than either one when it comes to downtown parking. The City of Greenville has planned ahead with the many parking buildings that are available. I think the problem is that many people are either intimidated by parking buildings or are not aware that they are often free. Even during the day, the rates are extremely reasonable. It's like $1 an hour or something ridiculously cheap like that! So perhaps the city can do a better job of promoting that option. Because the free spaces are great for local businesses, and have gone a long way toward bringing people downtown and encouraging walking. But at the same time, people don't need to always expect to get one of the free spaces. How do we fix that?

Edited by Greenville

Free street parking was a good idea and I hope it continues.

How many downtown businesses validate parking for the municipal garages? I do a lot of business with Wachovia and BofA and the free parking with validation is a good deal. There should be signs on the garages listing the businesses that provide free parking for their customers.

I personally didn't realize they were as many free parking spaces in garages as mentioned on this forum.

A study undertaken by the city indicated that there were are over 15,000 spaces downtown and that most are not occupied. Granted private lots are included in that number, but public lots make up about two-thirds of the total... and most of them are ghost-towns during the day.

You are right, it is a destination, but not one that puts more strain on parking than we can support. If I were to follow the logic that putting up meters would solve your colleagues' problem of comming downtown for lunch, they still wouldnt come downtown. If they wont pay in a garage, they wont pay at a meter. And those spots where meters are would most likely still be full during lunch anyway.

My point is that if anything, there should be a financial incentive for those who are willing to park further away from their destination. Why not make garages free? Or allow every downtown business the ability to validate garage parking free-of-charge? Right now, we are wasting real estate with empty garages, artificially capping the number of visitors downtown can handle during the day, and providing an incentive for those who won't walk. Simply in the name of having a parking-meter free downtown.

It seems odd that we have such a great asset in the availability of parking downtown, but we don't actually use that to our advantage.

A study undertaken by the city indicated that there were are over 15,000 spaces downtown and that most are not occupied. Granted private lots are included in that number, but public lots make up about two-thirds of the total... and most of them are ghost-towns during the day.

My point is that if anything, there should be a financial incentive for those who are willing to park further away from their destination. Why not make garages free? Or allow every downtown business the ability to validate garage parking free-of-charge? Right now, we are wasting real estate with empty garages, artificially capping the number of visitors downtown can handle during the day, and providing an incentive for those who won't walk. Simply in the name of having a parking-meter free downtown.

It seems odd that we have such a great asset in the availability of parking downtown, but we don't actually use that to our advantage.

I agree with you as well. For some reason, people are hesistant to use the garages, probably cost plus an unwillingness to accept change (the good ole days of parking right on Main St are over). I think you have a good solution of validating parking for retail customers. That combined with a higher profile downtown parking education campaign may just do the trick. If we could get more people downtown and more people walking the side streets to and from garages, we could support even more shops along those streets that dont get much foot traffic (yet).

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I rode by McBee Station yesterday for the first time since the apartments have been painted. Am I the only one who likes them? They have a kind of 'funky' feel to them. When they were all the same color during construction this summer, I was worried, but I like them now; especially coming over the Church Street bridge toward Washington Street.

I rode by McBee Station yesterday for the first time since the apartments have been painted. Am I the only one who likes them? They have a kind of 'funky' feel to them. When they were all the same color during construction this summer, I was worried, but I like them now; especially coming over the Church Street bridge toward Washington Street.

They have definitely grown on me. One thing that will help is the trees. They planted fairly heavily around the apartments....as the trees mature, I think the whole development will take on a better look. It should age well.

On a different note, are you back in the states for good GvilleSC, or just home for holiday?

On a different note, are you back in the states for good GvilleSC, or just home for holiday?

I'm home. I'll be back in Clemson for the Spring semester. I must say that it's funny how things seem in photos and how they differ in person. I enjoyed keeping track of all the developments going on through UP (Thanks to you all), and it's nice to see them for myself now. McBee Station's completion, The Palmetto Bank's impact, Verdae's progress, and the progress and impact of the Carolina First Campus all are much more impressive in person. Greenville's looking good.

Those apartments are still a bit too Gulag-ish for me.

Love the comparison. :lol: But then I sort of like Cold War / Communist Bloc architecture.

I'm home. I'll be back in Clemson for the Spring semester.

Welcome home. :)

Was by McBee Station this morning and noticed that the interior construction is well underway for the new restaurant. Mary Beth's? Is that the name?

Was by McBee Station this morning and noticed that the interior construction is well underway for the new restaurant. Mary Beth's? Is that the name?

Will this restaurant be in the Staples or Publix building complex?

Has anyone heard anything about plans for that one out parcel? I'd love for them to develop it with an urban design. Maybe more condos or apartments? Anything but a bank or restaurant with parking surrounding it. Let's not forget this is still downtown.

Anyone know the occupancy rate at the apartments?

I know someone who will be in Greenville for only about a year on a project with his job. He wants an apartment more substantial than the typical extended stay type. I was going to suggest McBee to him....went to the website but there is no contact info....am I missing something?

Anyone know the occupancy rate at the apartments?

I know someone who will be in Greenville for only about a year on a project with his job. He wants an apartment more substantial than the typical extended stay type. I was going to suggest McBee to him....went to the website but there is no contact info....am I missing something?

The last time I was in Jimmy John's, there was a pamphlet at the front counter with contact information, etc., for the McBee Station Apartments. Check there the next time you're out that way ... they may still have it.

The last time I was in Jimmy John's, there was a pamphlet at the front counter with contact information, etc., for the McBee Station Apartments. Check there the next time you're out that way ... they may still have it.

And if there are no pamphlets left, someone there might know who put them there. The guy who owns/runs that Jimmy John's is a great guy who will surely help you in any way he can.