CONSTRUCTION THREAD: McBee Station

gs3

:sick: The traditional, bland, boring building shown in the sketch, in no way fits in with the look of the rest of McBee Station. DPC....where are you?????

It might not fit in with McBee station but it fits in with many other buildings on McBee St.. In the imeediate area and and on Mcbee past Main. While not as big it is still similar to the Water Company and Duke Power Buildings on the other end of the street. Also fits in with the nearby courthouse as well.

Edited by btoy

If you think it's boring then propose something else for the site and build it instead. :rolleyes: The NIMBY's are out in full force today. What's the next project you guys are going to complain about in terms of design? The Peacock? Maybe the new Next building? How about Washington Square? ;)

At least it's up on the street. When I heard that a bank was going there, I expected it to be set back from the street with a big parking lot and prominent drive-thru. So from a building placement standpoint, I think we can be pleased. The brick architecture is fairly bland, but again I put urban infill as a higher priority than architecture for this location on McBee Avenue.

With that said, if the DPC wants to shoot it down on the basis of architecture I am all for it. But we must remember that the architecture could most definitely be worse too.

P.S. I do think the Next building is ugly. As I said before, it looks like a combination of an old college dorm and a prison yard.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Still the same 3 story red brick design? I have hopes of something slightly more inspired.

Yes. I don't really have a problem with the design due to it being located up against the street with parking in back. It will also bring jobs and investment into the CBD area of the city.

Edited by citylife

• 2 months later...

Glad to see these retail spaces being filled. Looks like some nice variety too. I continue to like what is going on in the McBee Station area. ;)

Agreed. :thumbsup:

Would still like to see a good hang out type place open in McBee....."lounge on a Sunday afternoon with a Bloody" kind of place. With all the apartments and young adults, seems like a built in customer base.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone else heard that Mary Beth's is looking for a 2nd (additional) location? I know they are packed on the weekends for breakfast/brunch.....apparently their weekday business is great as well.

That is great to hear! I remember going shortly after they opened, and thinking, "This is the type of local place I can see catching on." I really enjoyed it, and am glad so many others obviously feel the same way. Maybe I can go during the holidays. :)

That is great to hear! I remember going shortly after they opened, and thinking, "This is the type of local place I can see catching on." I really enjoyed it, and am glad so many others obviously feel the same way. Maybe I can go during the holidays. :)

Try it on a Sunday morning. If Bloodies or Mimosa's aren't your thing, try their Hibiscus. Wonderful! If you happen to be there on a Sunday morning and see two guys casually dressed, in the first booth on the right, in the door, that would be us.

Try it on a Sunday morning. If Bloodies or Mimosa's aren't your thing, try their Hibiscus. Wonderful! If you happen to be there on a Sunday morning and see two guys casually dressed, in the first booth on the right, in the door, that would be us.

Mimosas are my thing, and I also want to try the hibiscus tea. I'll say hi if I see you guys there. :thumbsup: