CONSTRUCTION THREAD: McBee Station

gs3

What has been torn down is the brick apartments. What I heard was being burned is the McBee apartments, the ones with light brown wood siding.

Also, Harper may know nothing, becuase they might not be involved with the site prep.

Also, as grand as it sounds, I doubt they will be burning all 20 buildings. I may be wrong, but my thoughts are they they were burn a few of them and the rest will coem down by conventional means.

btoy is probably right. They will only need a acouple to practice on. I wonder if there is an environmental issue to consider as well, since they plan to use that time for training? Many old buildings are full of hazardous materials, including the paint. They may strip all the bad stuf out first?

Exactly, that is the point I was trying to make earlier, they can't just burn them down, they have to remove alot of things first. Burning is not as cheap as it sounds.

btoy is probably right. They will only need a acouple to practice on. I wonder if there is an environmental issue to consider as well, since they plan to use that time for training? Many old buildings are full of hazardous materials, including the paint. They may strip all the bad stuf out first?

Hadn't thought of that. Hope they do strip them. Don't want to see a toxic green cloud floating over Falls Park. :)

Went by McBee station today, unfortunatly my camera was missing the card. Andyway, as you may know David Francis Ct. will be extended from McBee to Broad as part of the project. This morning they were demolishing the Bell Plaza Downtwon Mini Warehouses on Broad to make way for the roads extension.

Also, looked like they have started gutting the apartments.

The burning should start soon. I was by there this morning and all the apartments have piles of carpet, appliances, etc on the decks and in front. You can tell they are gutting before the burn. I drove down into the area where the brick apartments were just torn down. This is a much larger area than I realized. Very sizable development....seems almost "Riverplace" in footprint size. :thumbsup:

GvilleSC, that "parking lot" is actually a semi-subterranian parking garage. I believe it is only two levels though.

Yes, this will be an awesome and necessary addition to strengthen the urban renaissance of our downtown. A Ruth's Chris Steakhouse would be ideal there. Think of all the downtown residential additions and the relatively short distance from the high-end Crescent and McDaniel area neighborhoods. This is a total plus for Greenville! :D

BTW, I was just by there, and the tan apartment buildings are being torn down today!!! :yahoo:

If you go to the architect's website, pazdan-smith.com, you can click on portfolio, and then mixed use to see renderings. Most of them are the original renderings, so they are old, but one shows an elevation of the apartments which looks nice. 5 stories will have a presence as you come over the Church Street bridge. Once again, this may not be what they will look like now, but it's nice to get an understanding.