Port Huron

ZachariahDaMan

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, your right Wolverine. I never really noticed how large Sarnia actually was up until this summer when I went through there going to Cape Cod and Boston, Massachusetts even though i have been through there many times. The thing with Sarnia is that it gets rural very fast. I think it is a very weird city. All it did was go up instead of getting wider which I like. Most of the cities in Canada are like that including London, Sarnia, Windsor, and Niagara Falls. Hamilton is more of a suburb of Toronto to me. Port Huron is more of a city with a small town feel. And surrounding it is like a suburb with a bunch of big box stores and chain restaurants. There is only about 5 to 10 miles of rural land in between Chesterfield Township(Metro Detroit) and the Marysville/Port Huron Area.

Hmm...I've been to Hamilton when I was young but don't remember a thing about it. From pics it looks very much like its own city. And I love the fact that Canada's cities grow up much more than out (at least compared to [uS] American cities). It makes for a much more pedestrian-friendly and urban environment.

Hamilton is its own city, but it is almost like Detroit and Pontiac. Pontiac has some taller building, but is still a suburb of Detroit. Toronto is the large city like Detroit is. The small suburbs of Toronto merge right in with Hamilton.

Sorry ZachariahDaMan for kind of changing this thread into a Canada thing.

• 4 months later...

I would call Port Huron a satellite city of Detroit. It's not a traditional suburb, but a large percentage of its residents (especially in the outer townships) do commute to the Tri-County area. The immediate Port Huron area (Port Huron, Port Huron TWP, Marysville, and Fort Gratiot TWP) only has about 12% of its workforce commuting to the Tri-County area. The remaining portion of the county has about 46% of its workforce commuting to the Tri-County area. While 12% doesn't seem like a lot, in comparison, only about 10% of Flint's workforce commutes to the Tri-County area. As a whole, 33% of St. Clair County commutes to Detroit, so it is as much a part of the MSA as Livingston County (36%) and Lapeer County (39%).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived