Growth and it's results in Northwest Arkansas.

Mith242

Some great news for residents of Southwest Missouri.

Officials from Freeman Health System, a nonprofit organization with its principal offices in Joplin, Mo., recently confirmed the purchase of 30 acres in Jane, Mo., but declined to give specifics about their planned use for the land, which was the former site of Sugar Creek Motocross Park.

On Thursday, it was confirmed that the sale closed Oct. 3. The site is located less than a mile north of a Wal-Mart Supercenter and, like the Wal-Mart, is east of U.S. 71. The developers intend to construct a hospital and clinic with a helicopter pad, and future plans include building satellite locations for Crowder College and Freeman Southwest Family YMCA, both of Neosho, Mo.

Thanks for the update from southwest Missouri Matt. This area isn't very well represented in the Missouri forum. And McDonald County is now in our metro so we need to pay more attention to this area ourselves.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the update from southwest Missouri Matt. This area isn't very well represented in the Missouri forum. And McDonald County is now in our metro so we need to pay more attention to this area ourselves.

The area sure is booming.

I went up to Jane a little while ago, and saw that they were building a ford dealership along with another dealership about 1/4 mile from the new Supercenter.

That area sure is booming.

The area sure is booming.

I went up to Jane a little while ago, and saw that they were building a ford dealership along with another dealership about 1/4 mile from the new Supercenter.

That area sure is booming.

I haven't been up there in a while, but that's the impression I've been getting. They seem to be getting on the boom that's been growing here in our area. Although in some ways it will be an even bigger change for them. Although northwest Arkansas wasn't the most populated area of the state there was some cities and population here. Areas like McDonald County didn't start off with much but some pretty small towns. Granted you do have Joplin a little further north.

Wal-Mart put a backup office about 1/2 mile away from the Supercenter a few years ago.

They relocated it from Tulsa.

I have heard some news that Disney has been purchasing land up in McDonald County as well. From what I've been told, it's not going to be a theme park.

It's been suggested it's to be a distribution center. I can't confirm anything though.

Wal-Mart put a backup office about 1/2 mile away from the Supercenter a few years ago.

They relocated it from Tulsa.

I have heard some news that Disney has been purchasing land up in McDonald County as well. From what I've been told, it's not going to be a theme park.

It's been suggested it's to be a distribution center. I can't confirm anything though.

Yeah we all speculated on that back when KWJ first mentioned a while back ago. I guess that was before you made it on here Matt. I guess I'm still being open with the whole thing. I think when people first heard the word Disney and buying land everyone just assumed it was going to be a amusement park. I guess while I think an amusement park is an interesting idea for the area I never would have thought of someone this big coming into the area. There has been talks of amusement parks in the past in northwest Arkansas before. But I don't think any of them were anything huge either. Probably closer to Magic Springs size or perhaps even smaller.

Yeah we all speculated on that back when KWJ first mentioned a while back ago. I guess that was before you made it on here Matt. I guess I'm still being open with the whole thing. I think when people first heard the word Disney and buying land everyone just assumed it was going to be a amusement park. I guess while I think an amusement park is an interesting idea for the area I never would have thought of someone this big coming into the area. There has been talks of amusement parks in the past in northwest Arkansas before. But I don't think any of them were anything huge either. Probably closer to Magic Springs size or perhaps even smaller.

There's only one theme park that I have heard rumored near the area , which is in Branson.

Ironically, Disney is building the mid-america amusement park. My connection at Disney told me that they were going to build a park there, although I can't confirm everything 100%.

Also, I think this has been mentioned before, but I will say it again.

McDonalds purchased a tract of land next to the Supercenter in Jane. KFC, Long John Silver's, Ryans and Pizza Hut have all been in discussions there as well.

Yeah this probably wouldn't excite most people, but I remember when Jane pretty much had nothing. It was one of those towns if you blinked you missed the town.

An update on NWA schools.

Springdale has decided that the cities 3rd High school will be open in 2011 instead of 2012.

The district decided to open it early, because of record growth in enrollment. The district has grown 1,250 students so far from last year.

Also, the school district is planning on building an additional 11 elementary schools, 2 middle schools, and 2 junior high schools by 2015.

It would be hard to compete with Silver Dollar City being so close. Worlds of Fun in KC also draws the Missouri crowd pretty well.

I saw where Dogpatch USA was sold to a bikers' organization. That place looks especially spooky abandoned on the side of the road. It was a cool place when I was a kid.

It would be hard to compete with Silver Dollar City being so close. Worlds of Fun in KC also draws the Missouri crowd pretty well.

I saw where Dogpatch USA was sold to a bikers' organization. That place looks especially spooky abandoned on the side of the road. It was a cool place when I was a kid.

What is Dogpatch USA?

Never heard of it.

What is Dogpatch USA?

Never heard of it.

It was a small amusement park. I think it was a bit south of Harrison. It was based around and old comic strip. I think it was of the general Ozark hillbilly image type stuff. I don't think it did very well, but there was so little population in the Ozarks back then.

It was a small amusement park. I think it was a bit south of Harrison. It was based around and old comic strip. I think it was of the general Ozark hillbilly image type stuff. I don't think it did very well, but there was so little population in the Ozarks back then.

Let's just hope these bikers don't make a hillbilly park.

It looks like the proposed swimming beach in Bella Vista is being planned a lot larger than I had thought.

The swimming beach would be off of Lake Avalon in Bella Vista. There's now rumors being circulated that developers are considering condos.

I thought maybe Lake Avalon might be one of the bigger lakes in Bella Vista but it actually looks like one of the smaller ones actually on my Delorme Arkansas Atlas. Looks to be just to the west of 71.

I've been reading this (and a lot of these Arkansas forums) lately and have been somewhat amazed. I've only pretty recently discovered this website, so I've been catching up a bit. I'm from Fort Smith (a great place to leave) and spent a few symesters in Fayettville before heading out to Dallas and eventually, Minneapolis. Anyway I've always said that Fayettville was the only place in the state I'd ever move back to (no slam on the state or the people, I just like much bigger cities than the natural state has to offer) because I just loved the cool, mountian, college town feel of the place and thought it was very unique. Now, I'm amazed reading about all the growth. 25 story condos? 8 lane highways? Light rail?

So, you guys have to tell me since I'm not there, are they ruining the place? I'd hate to see a town that had such a genuine sense of identity turned into a giant surburb that looks like everywhere else. Maybe most of the developement is up towards Rogers or something. I just like the place so much and don't want to see anything bad happen to it.

Also, is Artist point still kicking on old 71?

Archived