Growth and it's results in Northwest Arkansas.

Mith242

That's amazing...over 100% growth from 2000-2005...I wouldn't be surprised if that were the fastest growing city in the entire country for that time period. That's unheard of. I'm ready to see the new figures for the rest of the cities in NWA...and Conway is also doing a special census...they're still working on it.

You might be surprised, I think there are more smaller towns and cities that are growing this rapidly. But you don't hear about them the same reason why people outside of Arkansas will never hear about Centerton. No one mentions these smaller towns and cities very much. I'm still waiting for Fayetteville's special census in 2006 so we can retake the top position in NWA. :D

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You might be surprised, I think there are more smaller towns and cities that are growing this rapidly. But you don't hear about them the same reason why people outside of Arkansas will never hear about Centerton. No one mentions these smaller towns and cities very much. I'm still waiting for Fayetteville's special census in 2006 so we can retake the top position in NWA. :D

Yeah, there are plenty of areas on the fringe of the DFW metro with similar numbers. NWA's growth as fast as it seems is pretty tame compared to a lot of parts of the country - out of the top 100 counties Benton Co was #78 and Wash Co was unranked. There are some parts of Florida that are just having astounding growth, as is much of Vegas and the Southwest.

Those areas are growing in numbers, but not percentage...In the lists of the fastest growing cities...you will not see anything over 100%...I've only ever seen like 80%...and that's extremely rare. 151% in 5 years is absolutely unheard of! There will be a big deal made about this in national media...watch for it.

Rockwall, TX is one of the fastest growing cities in TX...but only at 48.5%. In the list of fastest growing cities...the highest pecentage I found was 75%...Centerton's growth rate is double that.

Well I could be wrong on that. :D But I figured there had to be some smaller towns not too far away from a larger city or metro that might have had some huge gains with surburban growth.

Well I could be wrong on that. :D But I figured there had to be some smaller towns not too far away from a larger city or metro that might have had some huge gains with surburban growth.

Yes there are, but none at 151%...I know that mayor is glad that he gets a 20,000/yr raise on Jan. 1st, from 25000, to 45000.

Yes there are, but none at 151%...I know that mayor is glad that he gets a 20,000/yr raise on Jan. 1st, from 25000, to 45000.

Yeah a lot of mayors have been having that type of success lately it seems. If not more money then longer terms as their current cities grow larger. The Springdale mayor just got an extra two years with their special census.

Have the Springdale numbers been released?

Yeah, although I can't remember which topic that was in. I think it was just under 63,000. Technically it's the largest city in NWA and third largest in the state now. That figure puts it above Fayetteville's 2000 census numbers. But Fayetteville is having a special census in 2006 along with quite a few other NWA cities and towns.

Yeah, although I can't remember which topic that was in. I think it was just under 63,000. Technically it's the largest city in NWA and third largest in the state now. That figure puts it above Fayetteville's 2000 census numbers. But Fayetteville is having a special census in 2006 along with quite a few other NWA cities and towns.

[/quote

WoW! I guess I missed that. I figure Fayetteville will be around 73,000 or so when they do the census.

Those areas are growing in numbers, but not percentage...In the lists of the fastest growing cities...you will not see anything over 100%...I've only ever seen like 80%...and that's extremely rare. 151% in 5 years is absolutely unheard of! There will be a big deal made about this in national media...watch for it.

In cities under 5000 on the fringe of a major MSA it can easily be done with one large subdivision. Many of them can do it simply with a single annexation. Looking at how the vast majority of Centerton's gain came in one year I would think they made a large annexation at that point.

Based on 2000 vs 2004 stats (what's available on census.gov) I looked up TX cities to compare:

Centerton, AR 2146 --> 3738 (74% increase)

Cedar Park 26,049 --> 45,360 (74%)

Cibolo 3035 --> 5847 (93%)

Frisco 33714 --> 62372 (85%)

Kyle 5314 --> 14,053 (180%)

Little Elm 3646 --> 14884 (308%)

Roman Forest 1279 --> 2643 (106%)

In cities under 5000 on the fringe of a major MSA it can easily be done with one large subdivision. Many of them can do it simply with a single annexation. Looking at how the vast majority of Centerton's gain came in one year I would think they made a large annexation at that point.

Based on 2000 vs 2004 stats (what's available on census.gov) I looked up TX cities to compare:

Centerton, AR 2146 --> 3738 (74% increase)

Cedar Park 26,049 --> 45,360 (74%)

Cibolo 3035 --> 5847 (93%)

Frisco 33714 --> 62372 (85%)

Kyle 5314 --> 14,053 (180%)

Little Elm 3646 --> 14884 (308%)

Roman Forest 1279 --> 2643 (106%)

I don't think they did any major annexation, I think what's more likely is that they simply put in some large housing developments in. There's not a lot of land for cities or towns to annex anymore. Even small towns have annexed land to keep other cities from getting it and encroaching in on them. But I did think some other small towns around large metros could come out with some impressive numbers as well. Not to take anything away from Centerton or anything. :D

I don't think they did any major annexation, I think what's more likely is that they simply put in some large housing developments in. There's not a lot of land for cities or towns to annex anymore. Even small towns have annexed land to keep other cities from getting it and encroaching in on them. But I did think some other small towns around large metros could come out with some impressive numbers as well. Not to take anything away from Centerton or anything. :D

The reason I thought that was that the city went from 2146 in 2000 to 2430 in 2001, then 2690 in 2002, then 2887 in 2003 before jumping to 3738 in 2004.

That big jump at the end made me suspect it was a big annexation but I could see where it could be the opening of a new development or especially multifamily dev't.

The reason I thought that was that the city went from 2146 in 2000 to 2430 in 2001, then 2690 in 2002, then 2887 in 2003 before jumping to 3738 in 2004.

That big jump at the end made me suspect it was a big annexation but I could see where it could be the opening of a new development or especially multifamily dev't.

Seems like I've been hearing about some big housing developments around in that area of Benton County. I'm wondering if they have the infrastructure to keep it up. I would think they'll hit a point where they'll have to slow down and let infrastructure catch up.

Seems like I've been hearing about some big housing developments around in that area of Benton County. I'm wondering if they have the infrastructure to keep it up. I would think they'll hit a point where they'll have to slow down and let infrastructure catch up.

Luckily, with these new census counts, they will get more money for infrastructure. Springdale is going to get 1,000,000 more per year from the state.

Luckily, with these new census counts, they will get more money for infrastructure. Springdale is going to get 1,000,000 more per year from the state.

I've been wondering does this mean other Arkansas cities get less because more of their share is going to booming cities like those in NWA? Or does this have nothing to do with how much money the state as a whole gets.

I've been wondering does this mean other Arkansas cities get less because more of their share is going to booming cities like those in NWA? Or does this have nothing to do with how much money the state as a whole gets.

The cities receive money from the state based on their population. Since other cities that may or may not be losing population to booming cities won't get a census count until 2010, then they'll continue to receive the same amount of money until then. If their population has declined, then their allotment of state funds will be cut.

The cities receive money from the state based on their population. Since other cities that may or may not be losing population to booming cities won't get a census count until 2010, then they'll continue to receive the same amount of money until then. If their population has declined, then their allotment of state funds will be cut.

But if Springdale is now getting more money because of it's special census isn't someone losing out now? Maybe not a lot but it would seem that would be less money for the other cities in Arkansas.

But if Springdale is now getting more money because of it's special census isn't someone losing out now? Maybe not a lot but it would seem that would be less money for the other cities in Arkansas.

No one is losing out, the state is just paying out more. By law, they couldn't cut anyone until a census is done. Don't forget, the state had a huge surplus this year...It's not like they have to find money to give to Springdale and other cities.

No one is losing out, the state is just paying out more. By law, they couldn't cut anyone until a census is done. Don't forget, the state had a huge surplus this year...It's not like they have to find money to give to Springdale and other cities.

I see what you're saying now. :D Although for a state with a surplus there sure are a lot of things they could be spending that money on.

I see what you're saying now. :D Although for a state with a surplus there sure are a lot of things they could be spending that money on.

Yeah, I know, like building some more freeways. We need one in WLR in the worst way. I wish that Arkansas was as aggressive building new roads as Tennessee is. Tennessee is constantly building new interstates and roads...look at Nashville. They have tons of interstates and they are already building a big loop around the whole county way out. They are building the roads to prepare for the growth, therefor they control growth. They do that even in smaller towns there. We could really learn from them.

Yeah, I know, like building some more freeways. We need one in WLR in the worst way. I wish that Arkansas was as aggressive building new roads as Tennessee is. Tennessee is constantly building new interstates and roads...look at Nashville. They have tons of interstates and they are already building a big loop around the whole county way out. They are building the roads to prepare for the growth, therefor they control growth. They do that even in smaller towns there. We could really learn from them.

Oklahoma seems to do a lot more too. Granted they tend to go for the tollroad method. But I think NWA is going to have to go that route if they want roads build to try to keep up with the growth. Arkansas just isn't going to have the money to build them fast enough.

Oklahoma seems to do a lot more too. Granted they tend to go for the tollroad method. But I think NWA is going to have to go that route if they want roads build to try to keep up with the growth. Arkansas just isn't going to have the money to build them fast enough.

I would not mind paying tolls...I say just build the roads before the lack of them cause our boom regions to deflate.

Archived