Take carpooling to the next level

bwindi25

Share the ride.

www.flexcar.com

" Flexcar Hits the Gas with Investment from Steve Case

We are excited to share with you some great news-Revolution, the investment company run by Steve Case, has bought the controlling interest in Flexcar. Steve, as most of you know, was the co-founder of AOL.

What does this mean for you? More cars, more locations, improved technology (including enhancements to the web site and reservations), as well as some really fun additions, such as iPod adapters for our most frequent users! And these changes will start soon: Flexcar members in Washington, San Diego, and Los Angeles will see a 50% increase in cars in the next 100 days.

In the long run, it means a tremendous expansion in our cars, our services, and our members. Steve is committed to growing Flexcar into a vibrant community of a million members, nationwide. With Revolution's help and your participation, we can make car-sharing a real force in this country. "

also check out

www.zipcar.com

www.carsharing.net

What would it take for you to share a car?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Share the ride.

www.flexcar.com

" Flexcar Hits the Gas with Investment from Steve Case

We are excited to share with you some great news-Revolution, the investment company run by Steve Case, has bought the controlling interest in Flexcar. Steve, as most of you know, was the co-founder of AOL.

What does this mean for you? More cars, more locations, improved technology (including enhancements to the web site and reservations), as well as some really fun additions, such as iPod adapters for our most frequent users! And these changes will start soon: Flexcar members in Washington, San Diego, and Los Angeles will see a 50% increase in cars in the next 100 days.

In the long run, it means a tremendous expansion in our cars, our services, and our members. Steve is committed to growing Flexcar into a vibrant community of a million members, nationwide. With Revolution's help and your participation, we can make car-sharing a real force in this country. "

also check out

www.zipcar.com

www.carsharing.net

What would it take for you to share a car?

So its like Portland's bicycle idea, only with cars? Without going to the website, it sounds cool, but it also sounds like the opportunities for mischief are practically endless.

I was just going to ask "how does this differ from rental cars?" but the answer was at zipcars' website. You basically reserve the car, and then zipcar (or other co.) has reserved parking spots around town where you go with your "zipkey" and unlock the car you reserved. $8.50/hour and $60/day in Boston, including a full tank of gas and insurance. You then put the car back where you picked it up.

I don't know though, I have to drive to Rockford for work every day. $60/day would add up quickly.

I read about Zipcar a while back in Entrepreneur magazine. It seemed like a great idea, especially for college campuses and students, but they were still only in the major markets. I think they're from Boston, so whether they come to GR is probably still up in the air.

• 2 years later...

Well, sad to report that my negotiations with Zipcar have fallen flat... I've been working with them since their recent merger with Flexcar, and their initially positive response has finally, disappointingly, come down to this:

"We do not have current plans for the Michigan area. At this time we are working on the cities from our merger with Flexcar. These will not be completed until the end of February. The best way to let us know that your area is ready for Zipcar, is to have your friends and family fill out the information at www.zipcar.com/notify-me. We compile this information and use it to decide where to place our next fleet."

We have a high-potential car sharing market here that is, in my opinion, better than some currently served by professional car sharing services.

So... help me out? :)

www.zipcar.com/notify-me

As a recent relocated Michigander to Chicago, I see how they would be helpful and cost effective. They have cars all around my neighborhood. I use my car on the weekend for a couple of hours at the most. The rest of the time I take transit. I am paying for a car payment, insurance and parking ($200/month) for something I use a couple hours a week.

They are close to where I am, easy access, they are cheaper than a rental car (need to to go to Costco for an hour) and they take care of gas, etc.

I don't think it is meant for full daily use, every day, every week, just for those who need a car now and then.

The part that does not work for me is that they require a crate to take a dog in the car. I don't have a crate that big and it would not likely fit in many of their cars. Were it not for that, my car would be sold already.

Archived