Downtown Trolley

NYTransplant

There is an article on the front page of the Greenville News today about a free trolley that will be running up & down Main street. The trolley actually belongs to the baseball team. By the end of the month we should see it running from the Hyatt to Falls Park on Friday nights, all day Saturdays and Sunday afternoons.

Article Here

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is great news, NYT! :thumbsup: I had thought something was mentioned about a shuttle or trolley for the ballpark. This will encourage more folks to park in the heart of downtown to eat and shop before going to games.

Several months ago, I posted a link to The Greenville Trolley Project. This is what the city hopes to develop for downtown in the near future. B)

Downtown had a trolley in the 1980s (if not later). I'd imagine that ridership now would be a lot higher than in the past, since there is so much more activity downtown now.

15 minute intervals, as described on the website, are too lengthy. Since downtown is so small, I could walk most of the way to a lot of parts of downtown faster than it would take to wait for and ride a trolley.

That is great news, NYT! :thumbsup: I had thought something was mentioned about a shuttle or trolley for the ballpark. This will encourage more folks to park in the heart of downtown to eat and shop before going to games.

Several months ago, I posted a link to The Greenville Trolley Project. This is what the city hopes to develop for downtown in the near future. B)

Thanks for the link on the Trolley Project. I must have missed this when it was originally posted. Great info!

Glad to help. Mayor White says that they hope to have two trolleys rolling soon. He said that this should have been in place when Falls Park on the Reedy officially opened, but he also says that not having one has helped more people get out and walk around, which is a good thing. ^_^

• 3 months later...

I had heard/read that the city was planning on purchasing one of their own due to the success of the Drive's Trolley. ;)

I rode it a couple of weekends ago on a very cold Saturday Morning and had an excellent conversation about the Challenger Disaster and other NASA accidents with what seemed like residents of one of the local towers (Scott, etc.). I got the impression that these are frequent riders or that they at least knew one another very well. <_<

I'll have to ride it again during baseball season to see if the experience is different. I'm sure it will be with the window coverings rolled up and the fresh air flowing through on the way to the game. :thumbsup:

I'll have to ride it again during baseball season to see if the experience is different. I'm sure it will be with the window coverings rolled up and the fresh air flowing through on the way to the game. :thumbsup:

I'm getting spring fever! :D That's going to be fantastic!

• 2 months later...

Well we now have both trolleys in operation and they appear to be a success - even a necessity at times. The newest one is red and looks much more appealing to me. Now I wonder if any additional trolleys might be considered in the near future?

There have been a few Drive Games that I've gone to where I've parked at University Ridge, looked at the huge line waiting for the Trolley, and decided to walk (i.e. they could use three or four at times during events like this). I'm sure this will be something that is under constant evaluation. I'm not sure if the driver keeps a clicker to track a count of riders or not though. I'd be surprised if they didn't.

Archived