Downtown Trolley

NYTransplant

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, The Handlebar is in a crappy location. It is considered "downtown" but it is not really near anything else. I wish they would move somewhere closer to where the action is, either in the heart of downtown or in the West End. Although their rent would surely be much higher, a lot more people would go there if it were more convenient.

Welcome to UrbanPlanet, ilaustin36. Hope you enjoy this forum as much as we do. :thumbsup:

I agree. One should run along Main Street from Stone Avenue to Pendleton Street. Another should cross Main in a few places doing a zig-zag loop back and forth from Church Street to Academy Street, etc., to really encompass downtown.

To be honest, The Handlebar is in a crappy location. It is considered "downtown" but it is not really near anything else. I wish they would move somewhere closer to where the action is, either in the heart of downtown or in the West End. Although their rent would surely be much higher, a lot more people would go there if it were more convenient.

I agree with this too. It would be great if a) the Handlebar were located in the West End or b) more entertainment draws were located nearer the Handlebar. I'd prefer a) myself. The West End should become our entertainment district.

Ask their owner about that sometime....they wanted to move to Washington Street at one time (circa 2000) but the Christ Church members pitched a fit.

I agree with this too. It would be great if a) the Handlebar were located in the West End or b) more entertainment draws were located nearer the Handlebar. I'd prefer a) myself. The West End should become our entertainment district.

As strange as this sounds, Mayor White doesn't want to see the West End become another entertainment district. (!?) Now with the new ballpark located there, and many old spaces experiencing new life, I would have thought this was a no-brainer. He considers North Main (near the Hyatt Regency) to be the "entertainment district" of sorts. IMO, we shouldn't limit our options to a few blocks along Main Street. I would consider South Main Street from the Peace Center down to West End Field to be another entertainment district. The West End seems to be a perfect location for these types of places, along with the specialty shops, galleries, and hopefully more residential developments.

I would think there are five and now six churches (the new Downtown Presbyterian is sharing Pendleton St. Baptist) within two blocks of West End Field who would be on the nervous side about the West End becoming an entertainment district.

I think we can expect some more offices and housing developments, but as was mentioned the actual entertainment areas will be continued to be centered towards center Main St.

Adopting some kind entertainment district is not a good idea. Things need to be diversified. Entertainment, by its very nature, promotes activity at night and during weekends. Putting all things that have the same usage patterns in the same place leads to urban inefficiency... which is the root cause of just about anything unsuccessful in an urban environment.

Adopting some kind entertainment district is not a good idea. Things need to be diversified. Entertainment, by its very nature, promotes activity at night and during weekends. Putting all things that have the same usage patterns in the same place leads to urban inefficiency... which is the root cause of just about anything unsuccessful in an urban environment.

It's kinda like hot or cold nodules in a thyroid? I get it. Excellent point.

OK...you've persuaded me to change my view on this. Spread it around! :thumbsup:

It's kinda like hot or cold nodules in a thyroid? I get it. Excellent point.

OK...you've persuaded me to change my view on this. Spread it around! :thumbsup:

That's not to say the Handlebar couldn't have a better location. Right now, it's out of place. I would venture to say that 95% of people who go there drive specifically to do so. Now if it was a little bit closer to downtown, people could use the bountiful vacant parking in the area and walk.

Or maybe we should just build out downtown to meet the Handlebar.

Or maybe we should just build out downtown to meet the Handlebar.

All the rumblings I'm hearing when I put my ear to the ground or read between the lines indicate that this is what is happening. Bob Ellis' comment to g-man about calling North Main "UpTown" certainly hint at this as well. :shades:

As strange as this sounds, Mayor White doesn't want to see the West End become another entertainment district. (!?) Now with the new ballpark located there, and many old spaces experiencing new life, I would have thought this was a no-brainer. He considers North Main (near the Hyatt Regency) to be the "entertainment district" of sorts. IMO, we shouldn't limit our options to a few blocks along Main Street. I would consider South Main Street from the Peace Center down to West End Field to be another entertainment district. The West End seems to be a perfect location for these types of places, along with the specialty shops, galleries, and hopefully more residential developments.

So he sees it as more of an Art/Residential district?

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...
Regardless, it's pretty clear that the general public (unsurprisingly) has SUCH a different perception of a trolley vs. a bus, even though they're both technically public transportation. I know the trolley is free, but I don't think that's the draw. Right now, there's definitely something "ok" and even charming about riding a trolley that does not apply to riding a bus.

Archived