Riverfront Development

linclink

Todays NCP had an interesting editorial about Nashville's riverfront... you can read it here:

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...s&news_id=45051

This sounds like great news for Nashville!!!

Also, I went to nashville.org and found this about the riverfront:

RESOLUTION NO. RS2004-518

A resolution requesting the Mayor, the Metropolitan Development and Housing Agency, and the Metropolitan Department of Parks and Recreation to include the expansion and redevelopment of the Riverfront Park as part of any proposed riverfront development project by restoring the ice skating rink and the Red Grooms Carousel, and by constructing a new amphitheatre.

WHEREAS, the Metropolitan Council appointed a Task Force to determine the highest and best use of the downtown thermal plant property located along the riverfront; and

WHEREAS, several developers submitted proposals for development of the thermal site; and

WHEREAS, the Metropolitan Government has developed a downtown Riverfront Park greenway connector along the Cumberland River connecting the downtown area to the Farmer

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Zach!

I haven't seen you here before... welcome(even though I am not yet a Nashvillian) !

Do you guys think that theres a chance of downtown ever being extended across the river? It seems like it would be a good idea to have some tall residential towers along the river on the eastern side... theres enough room for it... and it would give residents awesome views of the River, Downtown Skyline, AND The sounds stadium... and for some, even the coliseum... Is that something that would fly in Nashville, or do you think they will keep whatever is built on the (eastern side, I believe) of the river shorter in height? It would look cool if they added some really good looking 30-40 foot towers. Maybe even go taller eventually... 50-60.. AND they could keep the street level with mixed use/ Stores, restaurants, etc... that are waterfront as well... all facing downtown...the river... and all that green space... etc... THAT would be pretty awesome!!!

I'm short on time today, so have to ask instead of research, but when was this resolution written?

We had the Red Grooms Carousel at Riverfront Park for a few years. It's been taken down and is in storage, possibly until the time we budget a new state museum. The site where the carousel sat is the construction site for the commuter rail depot, which is moving along nicely.

There's was an ice rink downtown during some winters, I think brought in by Opryland, but with the types of winters we have, an outdoor rink is too often a rink of slush and impossible to skate on. Maybe the Gaylord would open it's rink...nah, that would never past muster with the Preds. The nice rinks are close by at Centennial Sportsplex. The weather is the problem with an ice rink. It has to be enclosed...but a glass dome might work. But, please, not the thermal site, that would take up too much space.

And, isn't Riverfront Park an ampitheater of sorts? It seems to served the purpose very well. Every Thursday night during the summer at Dancin' brings in thousands. The MusicFest made do with the amphitheatre. The only difference is no permanent seating and a stage that can be floated away.

This seems on old resolution to me. But like I said, I only put 5 seconds skim time on it. I'm basing my comments on the suggestions here. Marina plans for the east side have been tossed quite a bit as well.

Well...

The article was from today... it just speaks about the commitee formed to decide how to develop the riverfront... as for the resolution... I went to nashville.org to see if there was anymore info on the riverfront... and that resolution is what came back... according to it, it was adopted in Sept. 2004.

The Plan of Nashville does mention a downtown east bank neighborhood (the book even has a rendering of what the east band could look like one day with lots of mid and low rises around the coliseum leading up to a tree lined parkway where the interstate is now). That would be at the end of the fifty year plan. So hopefully one day, it does turn into a thriving neighborhood.

On the amphitheatre front: I can see amphiteatre meaning two things--the bicentennial amphiteatre or the Starwood Amphitheatre. A Starwood sized amphiteatre downtown? Is this realistic? Is there room?

Whether this is a realistic or current proposal or not, I think it would be great if we could bring all of those musicians that play at Starwood back into downtown. So when Tom Petty or whoever comes to play Nashville, they actually play in Nashville, not the outskirts of Davidson County.

I'm sure this would set off huge contreversy, however. B/c that would threaten potential business for Starwood and the Arena.

Its an interesting thought, though, none the less.

Does anybody remember the proposal from Fairfield Resorts (I think last spring) for a twin tower (20-25 floors) for time share apartments?

I believe that this is/was to be on the east side of the river wedged between the Gateway bridge and I-65 (or whatever it's been designated in the last few years).

It may not have been a serious proposal, but I'm pretty sure it was for Nashville.

Hey Southside,

I've seen the plan.. .and it seemed to have mostly townhouses, and midrisers... thats my question...

are Highrisers out of the question for East Nashville? I think it would look pretty awesome...

As for the amphitheater... that was adopted 1 year ago and called for a new one... so I would guess that they are going to build something new...

Its hard to imagine now but . . .

I wouldn't think that highrises would be out of the question long term at all. If you look at SoBro and the Gulch--they were designed or idealized early on as low-mid rise neighborhoods, but already the higher buildings are being built there. And there is the potential for tons of land to be developed over in East Nashville. I seriously doubt any mid or high rise in EN in the future will be anything but residential, though. No office buildings--at least not exclusively. ----Of course the future has a way of changing those sorts of things. It seems to me that at the end of the next five years or so when we will have all of this really cool stuff that is proposed actually in existence, that the city could then explode like we haven't imagined yet. Who Knows?

This really is great news for Nashville. I've been very impressed with the direction the city is taking these days. I moved from Nashville to Chattanooga 3 years ago. Everyone in Chattanooga is so proud of what they have done with their waterfront. It's sooo beautiful and user friendly. I especially love the waterfalls and fountains that have been built into the natural landscape and how they blend into signature projects such as the Aquarium. Children and families spend hours there enjoying themselves. Tourists spend extra time admiring the views and taking lots of pictures. I welcome any of you forumers to come down here and check it out. I think Nashville has the resources to even outdo what Chattanooga has done and look forward with excitement to see what Nashville plans for their Riverfront area.

I reall ydon't see PSC selling land or even goffy ol' Bud Adams given up anything on that side of the river for a while. IF, and I mean a big if, one of them was to sell to the city for redevelopment, I would be very surprised. Until then, I see no development on that side of the river unfortunatly.

Who is PSC? I am gathering Bud Adams is the owner of the Scrap Metal Yard... Unfortunately (yes, even in this case), with the new Imminent Domain law, they might not have much of a choice, should the city decide they need this land... they may actually be better served selling it, than having it pretty much taken from them....

This really is great news for Nashville. I've been very impressed with the direction the city is taking these days. I moved from Nashville to Chattanooga 3 years ago. Everyone in Chattanooga is so proud of what they have done with their waterfront. It's sooo beautiful and user friendly. I especially love the waterfalls and fountains that have been built into the natural landscape and how they blend into signature projects such as the Aquarium. Children and families spend hours there enjoying themselves. Tourists spend extra time admiring the views and taking lots of pictures. I welcome any of you forumers to come down here and check it out. I think Nashville has the resources to even outdo what Chattanooga has done and look forward with excitement to see what Nashville plans for their Riverfront area.

Hankster,

Do you have any pictures of the chattanooga riverfront development? I keep hearing about how they have done so much to improve it, but i haven't been down to chattanooga in a long time. Anyways, if you have any pictures of them and would like to post them i would love to see it!

Linclink, Bud Adams is the owner of the Titans.

I think this is great news that the scrap yard may be moved. This place is an absolute eye sore. I liked the idea that was brought up not too long ago to put a theme park on that site. I know many people who didnt care much fo the the idea but I loved it.

Hankster,

Do you have any pictures of the chattanooga riverfront development? I keep hearing about how they have done so much to improve it, but i haven't been down to chattanooga in a long time. Anyways, if you have any pictures of them and would like to post them i would love to see it!

I'm new at this picture posting game, but here goes:

The Hunter Museum and New Addition which overlooks the Tennessee River

th_4.jpg

Looking from the Hunter Museum toward the Aquarium

th_3.jpg

Artificial River Flowing towards the Tennessee

th_2.jpg

Cascades adjacent to the new Aquarium Addition - At the bottom of these cascade are a number of fountains which shoot columns of water about 40 feet into the air up and out into the Tennessee River (not shown)

th_1.jpg

Linclink, Bud Adams is the owner of the Titans.

I liked the idea that was brought up not too long ago to put a theme park on that site. I know many people who didnt care much fo the the idea but I loved it.

Onyte!!

Thanks for clearing that up... about Bud Adams...

As for the theme park.. I read about it online, and I have to say, I also really liked the idea! What with the "Ghosts" sculpture going up looking so much like a rollercoaster... why not actually have one you can ride... :P

Seriously though... I was in Chicago this summer.. and looking at downtown from Lake Michigan, with the ferris wheel at Navy Pier against the skyline... it was so whimsical, and it really humanized the town.. I loved it, Now a theme park is alot bigger and has alot more parts than a ferris wheel, but it might work....

it certainly would be interesting... you have to give it that...

Hankster,

Cool pics... too bad their a little on the small side...

Thanks for posting them, though!!

I was in Chattanooga over the summer and the city has done a great job there. Its completely different than it was when I lived there in the late 80's early 90's. What has surprised me was the development on the other side of the river,where the Naval ans Marine reserve center was just off Market St. Looks Great. The committee that the mayor formed on riverfront development will be going to Chatt. to see what has been done there. I look at that as a good thing for the ballpark since Chatt. is on the riverfront there as well.

As far as PSC relocating, the chances are very good. I remember seeing a news article on the TV or in the paper that they are open to relocation. The requirments for relocation was the hold up because they need river, rail and interstate access. I told a few people that off of Ashland City hwy, all of these requirements would be met. That is where they are looking. There is a large industrial park and land in Ashland CIty close to Trinity Barge who also moved from Nashville. There is othere land closer to Nashville close to where BFI land fill is. So I think you will see development of the east bank sooner rather than later.

I found some neat pictures of Chattanooga online...

Website: Tennessee Aquerium, http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...cial_s%26sa%3DN

Here goes:

Water_canon.jpg

imax_building.jpg

IMAX%20THEATRE.jpg

Aerial_015_Mclelland.jpg

TNAQ_Rivershot.jpg

Riverfront5.jpg

Riverfront6.jpg

There were some other websites with REALLY cool pictures... but they were for sale, so I didn't copy them...

Also, if you go to http://www.chcrpa.org/Plans/Downtown/the_D.../riverfront.htm

you can see the plan of Chattanooga, specifically the riverfront plan... If the commitee is going to be there to look at what they have done, that website might give you a sense of what they will be seeing...

Edited:

WOW!!! I didn't think the pics would look quite so large!!! Does anyone here know how to make them smaller? If not, I'll just delete them!!!

Archived