New Super Wal-Mart/Sam's Club at X-Rite Site

GRDadof3

Hmmm, Target wants to rezone the X-Rite site to a classification that would allow up to a 300,000 square foot shopping center. Apparently that surprised Grandville officials.

They should have just read my post a few back ^^^^ :D

There has to be more than 1.5 Million square feet of retail planned for the Grand Rapids area (Steelcase site, Walker, Village of Orchard Hills, and now this). :blink:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmmm, Target wants to rezone the X-Rite site to a classification that would allow up to a 300,000 square foot shopping center. Apparently that surprised Grandville officials.

They should have just read my post a few back ^^^^ :D

There has to be more than 1.5 Million square feet of retail planned for the Grand Rapids area (Steelcase site, Walker, Village of Orchard Hills, and now this). :blink:

Grandville Suprised by Target's request for C-4 zoning on X-Rite site.

Article

A C-4 zoning in Grandville would require the developer to build a major retail development of atleast 300,000 sq. ft. in size. including an anchor of at least 50,000 sg ft. Somthing like this would be no problem for Target as there store (avg. 135,000 sq ft. in size) would obviously serve as an anchor and the remaining space filled with other tenents. But the question is would the X-site site be big enough to accamadate a C-4 development. According to some city officals Target would have to extend their zoning request to surrounding properties to fit a C-4 development in.

To me it sounds like Target wants a Target Greatland or a full blown SuperTarget store on that site to better compete with the Rivertown Crossing Meijer.

Mind you the Super Target bit is just my speculation. But if it is indeed what Target intends to put on that site, then yes it would be GR Metro's first.

For those not familiar of what a Target Greatland and a Super Target are, here's a brief discription of them. Featuring everything a regular Target store has to offer coupled with a full line supermarket, a Super Target is Target's answer to Wal-Mart Supercenter and Meijer. Likewise, the size of a Super Target is in the 200,000 sq. ft. range. At about 150,000 sq. ft. in size, a Target Greatland is the smaller brother of the Super Target. It offer everything a normal Target has but only adds a limited selection of groceries, mostly dry goods, and some parishables. The Target store on 28th street in Cascade is a good example of a Target Greatland.

Would that be Metro GR's first Super Target?

• 1 month later...

Target withdraws rezoning request for Grandville X-Rite site

Looks like there's going to be some negotiation on the rezoning. I was scratching my head as to why they wanted the same zoning as the one created just for Rivertown Crossings, when a Wal-Mart exists in Grandville under a different zoning. But I guess Wal-Mart was permitted under a special "Commercial Freeway-Interchange" zoning.

Archived