Can Columbia Gain National Exposure

803metlife

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When Innovista begins to show signs of success, I believe more regional/national recognition will begin. Also, with the development of CanalSide, the Bull Street project, and the Three Rivers Greenway, the urbanity of the city will begin to improve and I think more recognition will come through that as well.

We need a big time company here or something...Everyone knows Charlotte for Bank Of America, etc and Atlanta with Coca Cola and of course other things...But Columbia??...Can't really link us with anything...Not even USC with national exposure...

i agree, we do need some kind of major companay to be associated with. i don't know if innovista can do it, it has been compare to Houston with oil. But there are already so many states currently in the Hydro fuel program like Cali, and Ohio. Those major company's has done alot for city's like Atl, and Charlotte. Coca Cola i think is funding the Huge Aquarium in atlanta that is scheduled to be opening, and Bank of America build the panthers stadium and really lifted Charlotte of the ground. I wonder why all those smart people who's job is marketing the city never scored a big company in columbia beside Blue Cross. I wonder who's head of marketing the area, and why haven't they lost their job????

I don't think it is a good idea to rely one one company's existance to promote Columbia. What if that company collapses or moves? I'd rather see several smaller ones before one larger one.

That's true, there are a lot of people outside of the southeast that don't even know or care that Coca-Cola is HQ'd in Atlanta or that Bank of America is HQ'd Charlotte.

It would be nice if we could have a couple of companies place their HQ's here, but we need something other than HQ's to market ourselves as a national or international city. Columbia needs to be different in its approach to marketing itself (I don't have any ideas as of right now). I don't see why Columbia isn't already on the map as a nationally known city. Being that Columbia is in between Atlanta and Charlotte, one would think that it would be 3 times its size by now.

Regardless of the fact, I see a big change coming for Columbia in the near future :thumbsup: .

...lol...Bank of America bought the naming rights after Ericsson folded, but they did not build the stadium...:) but I know your sentiment.

National recognition will come with national achievement. The area has to stand out as someplace different...now how you do that, I'm not sure. I do know that outside of the southeast Columbia, Charlotte, and Charleston tend be used interchangeably, so I'm not sure even Charlotte has fully been "recognized" yet.

I would say that in the Carolinas, Myrtle Beach is probably the city with the most regional/national recognition, but Charleston and Hilton Head come close too. But as monsoon stated on another thread, Charlotte and Charleston struggle with the "Ch" factor that causes people outside the region to confuse the two places (although anyone with just a basic knowledge of U.S. history shouldn't do this).

I had a co-worker last night ask if USC was in Charlotte. i was like na Charlotte is in NC. USC is in Columbia. But most Carolina cities outside of the immediate southeast are usually interchanged by the rest of the nation.

Yeah, they basically are...People don't care...Like North Dakota and South Dakota...I know there not the same, but too me...I couldn't tell a capital or a city apart there, or tell whats the difference between the two...So I guess people look at the Carolina's like that sometimes maybe?

Before I moved here from Statesville NC in 1980, I knew 2 things about Columbia.

1. USC is here.

2. "Tunnel Vision" is here.

I really belive that if a strong focal point was developed somewhere on the river, it could become an item associated with Columbia beyond our borders. The Gervais Street Bridge itself is fabulous. If some elegant landmark would bloom... Something that City marketeers could use in their ads and would become synonymous with Columbia...

Beautifully lighted tower right on the water with rooftop dining and dancing?

Lighthouse?

Elevated tram crossing?

Great big, significant, attractive (other than Civil War) sculpture? Maybe an artwork that captures the look of those rare lilies that grow in the Saluda... Very cool.

Those major company's has done alot for city's like Atl, and Charlotte. Coca Cola i think is funding the Huge Aquarium in atlanta that is scheduled to be opening,

Just for clarification purposes, The Georgia Aquarium was not funded by Coca~Cola. Coca~Cola is placing their World of Coca~Cola nest to the new Georgia Aquarium. In fact, the Georgia Aquarium was not funded by any company. It was a gift to the city of Atlanta from Bernard Marcus...one of the founders of Home Depot.

Although I am not from Columbia, I think that the city should position itself to be something unique either to the state of South Carolina or the nation. Like Medical Research Center for Cancer or have a internationally known hospital like John Hopkins. While having corporate headquarters help, this help take years of cultivation. Then again anything to make Columbia stand out will take cultivation. Could you imagine many of the world's best neurosurgeons all being located in Columbia and when some world leader needs surgery, he has to fly to Columbia for the best care.

That definitely would be a start in giving you guys national/international exposure.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Branding is very important. Branding can go a long way in separating you guys from the of C cities in the Carolinas.

I hope no one thinks I'm crazy when I say this, but in a few ways, I think that Columbia could possibly learn some things from Atlanta (and no, I'm not talking about sprawl). I find it significant that both cities are the largest in their states, are state capitals, and have three major interstates running through the cities. Both cities also have large universities downtown. Of course, historically Atlanta has had more working in its favor, but I also think that in the end, what caused Atlanta to pull ahead of its peers was the sheer determination of the city's leaders to make the city into something great and special. With all of Columbia's advantages, I think it could truly benefit from some Atlanta-style leadership right about now.

They can start by taking all these confederate flags from around the city...I was with some out of towners, and as soon as you come off from I-I26 on Elmwood you see the flag flyin over Maurices and thats like the first expression you get of downtown...They were like wow...I think it would just benefit the city a little bit better when companies or whoever look into Columbia..

They can start by taking all these confederate flags from around the city...I was with some out of towners, and as soon as you come off from I-I26 on Elmwood you see the flag flyin over Maurices and thats like the first expression you get of downtown...They were like wow...I think it would just benefit the city a little bit better when companies or whoever look into Columbia..

I agree, but do you think we could get away with banning he flying of the confederate flag inside the city limits? :P While I can't stand that flag I don't believe I could even agree with banning it like that. Maurice is 80-something years old, how much longer can this guy be around?

I hope no one thinks I'm crazy when I say this, but in a few ways, I think that Columbia could possibly learn some things from Atlanta (and no, I'm not talking about sprawl). I find it significant that both cities are the largest in their states, are state capitals, and have three major interstates running through the cities. Both cities also have large universities downtown. Of course, historically Atlanta has had more working in its favor, but I also think that in the end, what caused Atlanta to pull ahead of its peers was the sheer determination of the city's leaders to make the city into something great and special. With all of Columbia's advantages, I think it could truly benefit from some Atlanta-style leadership right about now.

Well put Krazeeboi. I agree. The same can be said for Charlotte. Charlotte has no river, port, beach, maintain range or other distinguishing physical feature. It has no significant historic district either. It has surpassed it's once-peer cities (Greensboro, Raliegh, Columbia) by the force and vision of it's government and especially BUSINESS leadership.

Well put Krazeeboi. I agree. The same can be said for Charlotte. Charlotte has no river, port, beach, maintain range or other distinguishing physical feature. It has no significant historic district either. It has surpassed it's once-peer cities (Greensboro, Raliegh, Columbia) by the force and vision of it's government and especially BUSINESS leadership.

i agree, but i think the flag really gives the city a bad impression. But it's not the people of columbia that wants the flag to remain, it's the rest of the state. And why would people who's not from columbia care that it hurts our city. We have to move forward people!! That flag gave sc national exposure, that made us seem like a racist state. I don't think anyone really understand. business are not going to locate somewhere that gives that kind of image, they think that it might hurt their profits from a particular group of people, the last thing a company wants is the NAACP to have their company under fire, and people boycotting their products. are the state legislators that imcomptence to see that. Georgia had the same flag on their capital around the same time. As soon as it came to the public, they took that flag down so fast, you never heard anything else about it. And south georgia have some of the most racist people i've seen in my life, but they were smart enough, not to hurt their economy and remove the flag, it's not about pride, it's about MONEY!!

Good points. Our SC cities need foresight now, more than ever before. This was a key factor in Charlotte becoming the regional player that it is today.

What flags? Maurice has a few I know (maybe a half dozen, and just half of those are in place where visitors might stumble accross them), but you make it sound as if they are prolific, when in reality its just those few restaurants and the Confederate monuments (one in Lexington). You could ban the flags, but then Maurice will sue and cause a big rocus, once again bringing the naitonal spotlight to SC for this particular issue. Besides the fact that flying that flag over governmental institutions is a completely separate issue from a private business flying it. Its one of those free speach things, regardless of wether its a good thing or not.

SC has been under the NAACP boycott for several years, and it has yet to cause any problems, and SC continues to grow, so I don't see where that is an issue. The NAACP has outlived its usefulness IMO.

What flags? Maurice has a few I know (maybe a half dozen, and just half of those are in place where visitors might stumble accross them), but you make it sound as if they are prolific, when in reality its just those few restaurants and the Confederate monuments (one in Lexington). You could ban the flags, but then Maurice will sue and cause a big rocus, once again bringing the naitonal spotlight to SC for this particular issue. Besides the fact that flying that flag over governmental institutions is a completely separate issue from a private business flying it. Its one of those free speach things, regardless of wether its a good thing or not.

SC has been under the NAACP boycott for several years, and it has yet to cause any problems, and SC continues to grow, so I don't see where that is an issue. The NAACP has outlived its usefulness IMO.

I'm not saying take it down...Those confederate people can believe in what they want...I'm saying just take it off of the one at Elmwood Avenue...My gosh...It's the first thing you see when coming into the city.

Have you been to the surrounding states, DuHHH!!! our growth is no where compared to any neighboring state!!! Their growth is doubling ours. Believe it or not it hurts the state. There's nothing wrong with the monument. but hey sonofaque86 is right, who wants to see a GIANTIC confederate flag as soon as you come into the city. What kind of impression would that leave on someone's first trip to columbia. Let's think out side the box.

Archived