Can Columbia Gain National Exposure

803metlife

Have you been to the surrounding states, DuHHH!!! our growth is no where compared to any neighboring state!!! Their growth is doubling ours. Believe it or not it hurts the state. There's nothing wrong with the monument. but hey sonofaque86 is right, who wants to see a GIANTIC confederate flag as soon as you come into the city. What kind of impression would that leave on someone's first trip to columbia. Let's think out side the box.

You are talking about one small restaurant in one entrace to the city. So I just don't see your point. There are lots of other entrances that do not have Maurices. When I take Elmwood I am focused on the road, not the restaurants. Visitors to Columbia are most likely in the same boat, trying to pay attention to the roads so that they don't miss Assembly. I know that was the case for me when I first moved to Cola. I didn't pay attention to the flag until at least the 5th or 6th trip, but by that point I had discovered Huger.

Other states? GA's growth is at least 85-90% Atlanta. You have no point there either. NC... maybe so. But you make it seem as though growth in SC in non existant. I assure you that SC's comparative lack of growth is more related to our moronic & archaic legislature than that flag on Elmwood.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What flags? Maurice has a few I know (maybe a half dozen, and just half of those are in place where visitors might stumble accross them), but you make it sound as if they are prolific, when in reality its just those few restaurants and the Confederate monuments (one in Lexington). You could ban the flags, but then Maurice will sue and cause a big rocus, once again bringing the naitonal spotlight to SC for this particular issue. Besides the fact that flying that flag over governmental institutions is a completely separate issue from a private business flying it. Its one of those free speach things, regardless of wether its a good thing or not.

SC has been under the NAACP boycott for several years, and it has yet to cause any problems, and SC continues to grow, so I don't see where that is an issue. The NAACP has outlived its usefulness IMO.

In all honesty I don't care about that flag when used in the right situations. When it is attached to a movement meant to humiliate and spread propaganda about one race being superior then thats when I have a problem. I can tolerate the use for recognition of fallen soldiers regardless of the cause. Those were someones sons, husbands and brothers. I am a young(at heart) black man and I grew up in NC and I have seen those flags all my life. I am a moderate at heart and I have common sense. In no way am endorsing what the flag stood for in the past but at this time in 2005 the flag holds no weight to me. However the Conferderate States of America was defeated so why does a flag of a defeated nation fly at a government establishment? As for the NAACP, it is a counterweight to the various and plentiful ultra-conservative movements in the country. Maybe some of the battles they fight have outlived there usefullness but the organization is essential as long as there are people out there who chose to discriminate and use the majority against those who are in the minority.

Lets me ask you South Carolinians a question. outside of the 803/843 Area Codes, not many acknowlege Columbia on a national scale. Its even overshadowed by nearly 3 of its conterparts within the state (Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Greeville). On what level do people in Columbia want to get national attention? Sports, Business, Culter, etc.

IMO,..Columbia lacks the population it need for recognition on a national scale. Big business seems would get sucked up I-77 to the Queen's City. But sports on the other hand could manage.

It kind of brings to mind Jacksonville in some repects, even though they have some national exposer, Its still is a city without an identity.

In all honesty I don't care about that flag when used in the right situations. When it is attached to a movement meant to humiliate and spread propaganda about one race being superior then thats when I have a problem. I can tolerate the use for recognition of fallen soldiers regardless of the cause. Those were someones sons, husbands and brothers. I am a young(at heart) black man and I grew up in NC and I have seen those flags all my life. I am a moderate at heart and I have common sense. In no way am endorsing what the flag stood for in the past but at this time in 2005 the flag holds no weight to me. However the Conferderate States of America was defeated so why does a flag of a defeated nation fly at a government establishment? As for the NAACP, it is a counterweight to the various and plentiful ultra-conservative movements in the country. Maybe some of the battles they fight have outlived there usefullness but the organization is essential as long as there are people out there who chose to discriminate and use the majority against those who are in the minority.

I don't think anyone is endorsing the Confederacy. I was simply saying that Maurice's decision to fly that flag is not what is holding back Columbia. The flag at the state house is not some kind of endorsement of the CSA.... its a memorial.... but I'd rather not start a flag debate regarding the Confederate Memorial here.

Lets me ask you South Carolinians a question. outside of the 803/843 Area Codes, not many acknowlege Columbia on a national scale. Its even overshadowed by nearly 3 of its conterparts within the state (Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Greeville). On what level do people in Columbia want to get national attention? Sports, Business, Culter, etc.

IMO,..Columbia lacks the population it need for recognition on a national scale. Big business seems would get sucked up I-77 to the Queen's City. But sports on the other hand could manage.

It kind of brings to mind Jacksonville in some repects, even though they have some national exposer, Its still is a city without an identity.

That question is kinda confusing because 803 is a Columbia area code, and 843 is the coast.

But in regards to the question about identity. The city is establishing itself as a leader in the hydrogen economy. The Innovista project is one way Columbia is acting on creating an identity for itself outside the southeast, and the state of SC.

The image isn't showing up on my end.

I just want to know why Columbia can't get a large water park? As hot as it gets here, we deserve one! Building the world's largest water park can get Columbia on the map! I like thinking big!

Columbia should've had one of those a while back. With one in Charleston and the water park at Carowinds in Charlotte, I'm not sure if it would do so well.

The image isn't showing up on my end.

Columbia should've had one of those a while back. With one in Charleston and the water park at Carowinds in Charlotte, I'm not sure if it would do so well.

I don't know, I think it would make plenty of money, if it is done right. A shame we don't have one yet.

I believe Columbia should have two water parks before too long. I may be wrong but I was under the impression that Ft. Jackson was building a waterpark and considering allowing civilian use. Also I believe there near saluda shoals park in Irmo/St. Andrews. Now if it will be the size of the one in CLT i don't know but given the heat, humidity, and population of the midlands I couldn't see why a amusement type waterpark wouldn't be successful there, regardless of its proximity to the other cities.

Again this is an angle that Columbia should use to its advantage. The park should go off of 26 near lake murray. Or build it near the zoo. But if they build a huge one I'm sure it will go to the village, that's where everything is going now.

I think Columbia could benefit from a branding initiative similar to the one recently launched in Atlanta by its mayor. I know the city has somewhat been working on this, but in my opinion, it has been kind of paltry. If you're going to do it, go all out! One thing the city should draw on is its natives who have achieved national celebrity, such as R&B singer Angie Stone, Jermaine O'Neal of the Indiana Pacers, and even Hootie. :)

I hate the pedestrian bridge in Greenville. I thought the waterfall platform that looks like a diving board at Finlay Park in Columbia left a lot to be desired until I saw that bridge. It is ugly and clashes sharply with an otherwise pretty and natural park.

i've been saying for a while columbia needs a water park, what the city needs it seems we never get . The museum is nice, and there are alot of other nice things around columbia, but we really need things to actually do around the city, instead of always having to drive somewhere else to name a few Six Flags, Carowinds, Professional teams, outlets, amusement parks. We can't rely on Charlotte and Atlanta for everything. it's time we have our own identity or we'll always be over shadowed by CLT and ATL. That's seem to be the thing now, just go to CLT or ATL. Can we please have something ourselves? I don't see Charleston Water Park on Charlotte's water park stoping us from getting a water park. Columbia metro is well over 700,000 plus, and we should start acting like it. When it's hot, you don't want to drive an 1hr just to go to a water park, and ride back soaking wet!! If Columbia only knew how important we are to Charlotte's revenue. They know we depend on them for professional sports, shopping, etc. When N.C. gets there lottery, S.C. is going to be in for a big suprise. I think the reason we don't have something of such is to do with a lot of protest by residence of the area of development. I can't see why people expect the city to stay the same, as time passes the city must grow. neighborhood residency protest this and that, i feel that'a why alot development doesn't happens. It's just too much of a hassle. They actually protested the village at sandhill, and now it's up everybody loves it... I just don't understand!!!

Tourism.

Architecture.

Make an open competition for outrageous architectural/urban planning ideas. Something that would draw people to experience and take pictures of and talk about. Even if the winner and finalists only get a token prize, it will generate a discussion and get ideas flowing.

Just think of the amount of people who trek to see the Sydney Opera House or Bilbao.

Has to be world class, though.

Once the tourists are here, even only for a 1-day stopover or on a day trip from Charleston, they'll discover other things that are cool about the place.

The natural beauty of the river should be exploited as a secondary draw.

Cultural activity.

How about some major land art project.

If people passing through realize that the place is not the pits, they might consider moving here and invest in building up something that would benefit the economy and draw others.

But first, we need to beef up our appeal - more landscaped interchanges, light up out beltway interstates, more small parks, squares, etc. Start small and work out way up. The IMAX at the State Museum is a start. I think a water park should be near a freeway, more exposure. Since land is so expensive near the lake, how about developing it to the south of town, say along I-26 below the I-77/26 interchange - alot of undeveloped tracks there. Just brainstorming here: How about a canoe/kayak marina/outfitter center near the canal; the world first food mall (fast food to fine dining) on the great location of the old Bush River Mall; remove the height restrictions on the vista (who can see the river much anyway from Main St?), connect I-126 to SC 277 for a free flowing traffic; fix malfuction junction. I am just getting started! Of course, this is just mostly creative and wishful thinking.

Great ideas Cosocar. As far as small parks go, I think Columbia has several of those. It would also be a good thing if most of the power lines in the CBD could be buried. And ANYTHING to help the Bush River Road area would be a great thing.

I agree 100% on the power line issue too.

Archived