Can Columbia Gain National Exposure

803metlife

You guys are crazy lol..........Charlotte can be compared better with cities like Cincinnati, Richmond, Memphis, Milwaukee, and Nashville......but honestly I feel that it is more of a world-class city than any of the others because of all the companies/hotels/retail that is coming to the city in example; Neiman marcus which is very exclusive, and Ritz Carlton in 2008......not to mention the amazing airport CLT-Douglas

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:D You guys are either very generous or brainwased Charlotte is a nice town but world class? I'm sorry but I don't have the Charlotte good vibration like most on this forum do. Not to say that I dislike Charlotte but I always saw it as a little bit larger version of Columbia. Sure Charlotte has a nice skyline, and some banks but world class? I think of San Fran, Chicago, DC, and even New Orleans.

I can however see an argument for same tier as Richmond, Austin, Raleigh, Memphis, Milwaukee, and Nashville, but not Cincy, Columbus maybe.

Charlotte is a good larger city to look up to. It is more attractive and has much more to do than most, if not all of the other major cities in the Carolinas. Hopefully Columbia will grow in a similar manner over the next several decades. :)

Unless Columbia gets some kind of Big company to move in like when Charlotte had Wachovia & BOA come in, there is no way that it will grow in the same manner, first of all we dont even have an International Airport (Gville & Charleston do), and we dont even have an Immigration office and we're the state capital for crying out loud. For those of you who have parents from other countries you guys can relate to have to drive to Charlotte all the time for Immigration papers, and/or traveling out of the country. Columbia is gaining population mostly from northerners, retirees, and military people. As far as immigration, it is mostly Legal & Illegal Mexicans, with a sprinkle of others every now and then; If you compare Columbia's ethnic makeup with Charlotte, Raleigh & Atlanta it is rather narrow. Well sorry, that was my International Exposure comment, now about my National exposure comment....It's doing a good job, like I said it's just the fact that "Columbia" is not really an original name for a city which is why It's hard for people to remember/know what you are referring to

In some respects, Charlotte can be a good city to look to (for Columbia), but in other respects I think Atlanta serves as a more appropriate role model (sprawl notwithstanding). Columbia is, in many ways, significantly different from Charlotte: state capital, college town, natural boundaries, central to the state, etc. Some of the things Charlotte is just trying to get Columbia has had for years (awesome center city park, significant college presence downtown, etc.). They even feel different. I get more of a laid-back, fit-in feeling in downtown Columbia, whereas uptown Charlotte feels as though it practically caters to its corporate workers in just about all respects. And of course there is the historic factor. So when it comes to diversity and incorporating that aspect into charting the city's future, Atlanta is definitely more of an appropriate "big brother."

Unless Columbia gets some kind of Big company to move in like when Charlotte had Wachovia & BOA come in, there is no way that it will grow in the same manner

Company relocations or acquisitions isn't the only thing that can initiate growth in a region. Research Triangle Park in Raleigh-Durham has people moving to that region in droves; as a matter of fact, Wake County (Raleigh) is expected to overtake Mecklenburg County as the most populous in NC within a few years. Innovista has the potential to transform the Midlands economy much like RTP did for the Triangle, which will hopefully bring growth to the area.

^Now see I get that. Besides Columbia can officially change its name to "International Airport" anytime. I believe someone has mentioned before that Gulfport, MS has an "International Airport", I believe Myrtle has one as well. Do people really see them as "International" airports? Also, "Columbia is gaining population mostly from northerners, retirees, and military people", that along with Mexican Immigrants is pretty much the way Charlotte, Atlanta, Raleigh, and most southern cities are growing today. Excluding military people of course.

^Now see I get that. Besides Columbia can officially change its name to "International Airport" anytime. I believe someone has mentioned before that Gulfport, MS has an "International Airport", I believe Myrtle has one as well. Do people really see them as "International" airports? Also, "Columbia is gaining population mostly from northerners, retirees, and military people", that along with Mexican Immigrants is pretty much the way Charlotte, Atlanta, Raleigh, and most southern cities are growing today. Excluding military people of course.

Charlotte and Atlanta have way more immigrants *other than* Mexican/Latino than Columbia does, I've gone to school in CLT, living proof, the Greek population is around 14,000, which is about over 10 times that of Columbia's....not to mention Cambodians, Vietnamese, Germans(CLT has a German consulate now), & Italians, and other ethnic groups that dont even exist in Columbia, except unless they are a student at USC :lol:

Hate to seem like I'm attacking you or anything, but if you go to the census' website, you'll see that cola holds its own percentage wise in diversity....

Clt CAE ATL

White 58.3 49.2 33.2

African Ameri 32.7 46 61.4

Asian 3.4 1.7 1.9

Hawaiian .1 .1 0

Other 3.6 1.4 2

So... you can tell Cola is on par for her size except for in the Asian department. Honestly, I do believe ATL is the better choice of a big brother for us to look up at just by these numbers (by that I mean our non-caucasion or African American)... who knows maybe one day Main street can look like Peachtree in ATL (but hopefully just a little more dense) :)

Charlotte and Atlanta have way more immigrants *other than* Mexican/Latino than Columbia does, I've gone to school in CLT, living proof, the Greek population is around 14,000, which is about over 10 times that of Columbia's....not to mention Cambodians, Vietnamese, Germans(CLT has a German consulate now), & Italians, and other ethnic groups that dont even exist in Columbia, except unless they are a student at USC :lol:

:huh: Tem, man I swear I just don't get you? You are continuosly tryin to fit square pegs into round holes. I can admit one really can't compare the type of growth that Atlanta and Charlotte have seen throughout the past decade, not very many cities in the nation can. I think the point is though which you even yourself stated was that Columbia is seeing growih from the same demographic that other growing southern cities are ie "northerners, babyboomers, and Mexican/ Hispanic/ Latino population. There is a ton of construction set for the Midlands and being that the Southern population boom is still in its early phases I can't see not by passing overcrowded areas like Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, etc.. Not to say that these cities wont continue to grow at a fast rate but the south is a huge place, with a low cost of living, an a abundance of opportunity for those who are willing. I find it hard to belieive growth will only hit afew select cities and then automatically shut off? Does anyone else see that?

Charlotte is definitely the better role model for Columbia today. Atlanta is in a totally different league size-wise. Most of the development today in Charlotte can be achieved in Columbia within our lifetimes, but I understand that other cities should also be used as examples. The focus on a very strong urban core seems to fit better.

There is very little in common between Columbia and Charlotte. Columbia is an education and government town and Charlotte is not. I really would hate to see Columbia become more like Charlotte where everything old is torn down (with a few exceptions). I call Charlotte the "plastic city". BTW, just because a city os bigger does not make it better or suitable to emulate.

Charlotte is definitely the better role model for Columbia today. Atlanta is in a totally different league size-wise. Most of the development today in Charlotte can be achieved in Columbia within our lifetimes, but I understand that other cities should also be used as examples. The focus on a very strong urban core seems to fit better.

I understand the size issue definitely. I think that as far as intangibles go, Atlanta is a better role model. As far as tangibles go, in some respects, Charlotte is better.

I think another role model for Columbia could be Richmond. A river city, Southern state capital, and on the verge of great things.

Seattle, Orlando, Charlotte, Miami, Raleigh, Sacremento and so on don't have 6 or more other cities with their names.

While Charlotte doesn't have any other significantly-sized cities that share its name, it suffers from what has been called the "CH factor": Charlottesville, VA and Charleston are often confused with Charlotte.

Charlotte is a good larger city to look up to. It is more attractive and has much more to do than most, if not all of the other major cities in the Carolinas. Hopefully Columbia will grow in a similar manner over the next several decades. :)

Big bold headlines on the front page of the Charlotte Obseerver the other day said their murder rate is at a 20 year high.

it's funny that only people in s.c. thinks that charlotte is such this great big city.You guys really need to travel outside of the southeastern region.I can name over 20 cities that Charlotte can't even hold a candle against.seattle, sacr, la, ny. chi,d.c. houston, atl, phil, millw, detroit,miami, dallas, vegas, etc just to name only a few. I don't won't columbia to be charlotte or atl.Because cola is cola!! That will soon have it's own identity in time. Cola is not competing with Charl. So all the people worried about charlotte need to move to charlotte!! I meet people all the time that moved from Charlotte to D.C. and they said that Charlotte was boring, country and they needed the bigger city feel. And that's why so many people move from Charlotte to atl. Believe me it's way different living there than visiting. So it's up to the eye of the beholder!! Im not trying to have a pissing contest with anyone, but facts are facts. yes right now Charlotte does have more to offer than cola, but time will tell.

it's funny that only people in s.c. thinks that charlotte is such this great big city.You guys really need to travel outside of the southeastern region.I can name over 20 cities that Charlotte can't even hold a candle against.seattle, sacr, la, ny. chi,d.c. houston, atl, phil, millw, detroit,miami, dallas, vegas, etc just to name only a few. I don't won't columbia to be charlotte or atl.Because cola is cola!! That will soon have it's own identity in time. Cola is not competing with Charl. So all the people worried about charlotte need to move to charlotte!! I meet people all the time that moved from Charlotte to D.C. and they said that Charlotte was boring, country and they needed the bigger city feel. And that's why so many people move from Charlotte to atl. Believe me it's way different living there than visiting. So it's up to the eye of the beholder!! Im not trying to have a pissing contest with anyone, but facts are facts. yes right now Charlotte does have more to offer than cola, but time will tell.

Yeah grass is always greener on the other side....i know people in CLT that want to move to ATL, i know people in Boston that like NYC better....and it's always going to be like that...

Archived