The beauty of Pittsburgh

Evergrey

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well come on over...

Southwest Airlines is offering a sale on all Pittsburgh flights this weekend (some pretty deep discounts), book anytime over the next 4 months or so . . . USAirways is offering lowering their prices to the 'burgh as well as NW. Fall is gonna be in full bloom soon ;).

Pittsburgh has a most attractive skyline. Those are some really great shots. I wanted to go to Pittsburgh for college - I applied to Pitt and Carnegie Mellon, but got rejected from both. I thought about wanting to live there and I kept hearing a lot about how livable Pittsburgh is, even 10 years ago when I was applying to colleges. I'd consider living in the 'burgh, but I do have concerns about the job market there. Which is too bad because it really is a beautiful city.

^^hey Mike thanks for sharing that. Pittsburgh's job market isn't growing as rapidly as the sunbelt cities are but in certain areas (legal, financial, medical, and technology) the metro is posting some nice job increases. Really depends on what ur speciality is or field. You might want to try http://www.presentingpittsburgh.com they are especially geared for companies and professionals considering the area. :)

I think the job market problems here are exagerrated. I mean, I keep seeing people say it's hard to find jobs in Phoenix/Portland/whatever too, so I doubt it's really any worse here. Give it a shot and see what you find. Good luck :)

Yes, the "bad job market" stigma never leaves Pittsburgh despite the fact that it's posted positive job growth for each of the last 15 years when it emerged from the steel catastrophe.

I guess until we get a huge boom, we'll always live with that stigma. I have actually seen people (ok, one person) say that they won't believe Pittsburgh is a good place for jobs until a large corporation pulls up roots and moves here from another city. Now really, how often does that happen at all? The only large company I remember doing a total relocation in recent memory was Boeing.

I guess until we get a huge boom, we'll always live with that stigma. I have actually seen people (ok, one person) say that they won't believe Pittsburgh is a good place for jobs until a large corporation pulls up roots and moves here from another city. Now really, how often does that happen at all? The only large company I remember doing a total relocation in recent memory was Boeing.

I believe Dick's Sporting Goods moved from Rochester, NY to Pittsburgh back in the 90's.

Anyways... I want to move to Pittsburgh but need to find a job there. I am in Geographic Information Systems (basically, I make maps). The thing about my field is that it's found everywhere... but usually not in large numbers. I had applied to some positions in Pittsburgh but never heard back. I want to live in Pittsburgh so much but I'm stuck in NE Ohio of all places!

Evergrey where have you tried applying? That's interesting that there have been no takers. I might be wrong on this but I'd imagine govt. is one of the leading employers/contractors in this field. Given the financial wrangling lately even on the commonwealth level the opportunities or the companies that usually contract the work might be dried up :(. I would imagine that the Carnegie Library, universities and some major companies like Dick Construction or Michael Baker might have some opportunites.

I didn't realize Dick's moved here from out of town. That's good to know. Although it isn't a company on the scale of Boeing. :)

Mapping jobs, eh? You might try the universities... But I have also heard it said that many law firms have uses for mapping (I think?). Not sure if that is true but, there are many law firms here. You might also try RODS. I forget what that stands for, but they do research in catching and stopping disease outbreaks and things like that. I could see them needing a good mapper!

There could be all kinds of companies that need those services, but most people would never think of it. I think I have an online friend who does what you do. I could ask her for some general ideas and pass them along to you! :)

Edit: Spoke to my friend, and got some more ideas for you. Mining companies. Lots of those around here, although probably a big commute if you want to live in the city or suburbs.

Defense contractors: A decent number of companies (and the universities) in Pgh do defense work.

Also real estate firms, and environmental firms.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Archived