Johnnie Dodds Blvd Plan

Chickenwing

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting project and id like to see asthethic and saftey improvements on US 17. However, the two lane roundabout idea should not be part of the plan since it will make travel through the highway dangerous and not relieve congestion at all. Many motorists are not familar with the idea of how to manuever a two lane roundabout to begin with. I am all for converting 2 & 3 lane highways into one lane roundabouts by removing non-signalized and signalized intersections. In Mt. Pleasant, you can find a couple one lane roundabouts on Mathis Ferry and Rifle Range roads.

More on why two lane roundabouts will not work for US 17 according to the MDSHA's roundabout study:

Several studies in the U.S., Europe, and Australia have found that roundabouts perform better in terms of safety than other intersection forms............... Safety is typically better at small and medium capacity roundabouts than at large or multilane roundabouts.

Thats true, but once motorists become used to traffic circles they can be quite efficient. We have a rather large 2-laned one in Spartanburg call Hearon Circle that works quite well. Infact they tried to switch it to a single lane circle but the change caused so much backup and so many accidents that they repainted the lines to make it a 2 lanes again.

I have been on many a roundabout in Europe, and even the large ones work quite well even though they can be stressfull at peak times if there are no signals. The ones with signals are pretty cool.

Thats true, but once motorists become used to traffic circles they can be quite efficient.

I have been on many a roundabout in Europe, and even the large ones work quite well even though they can be stressfull at peak times if there are no signals. The ones with signals are pretty cool.

It would hold true if Mt. Pleasant were not to cater so many year round out of town/state visitors traversing the busy Johnnie Dodds Blvd between Wild Dunes and the city of Charleston. Otherwise, i can agree for the most part where residents will eventually pick up the roundabout system.

Roundabouts are common in Western Europe so you are expected to know how to drive them. The closest thing to Europe in this country, in terms of roundabouts, is driving in Massachusetts where roundabouts are common statewide.

Roundabouts are common in Western Europe so you are expected to know how to drive them. The closest thing to Europe in this country, in terms of roundabouts, is driving in Massachusetts where roundabouts are common statewide.

Lets start a new trend in South Carolina then.

South Carolina, particularly Greenville, will never embrace Massachusetts liberalism.

:rofl:

err.... i meant roundabouts moreso than the liberal thing. Massachusetts can keep that mess.

For anyone that is not clear about the difference:

Traffic Circle

Not a great example of a traffic circle. Click this link for a better explanation.

Note: Traffic circles are usually not pedestrian friendly.

Roundabout

By seeing the cartoon of cars traversing through the roundabout. Would you want US 17/Johnny Doods Blvd traversing through that instead of signalized intersections?

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone wants to see a traffic problem solved without more asphalt and concrete, drive up to Columbus, North Carolina and see the new roundabout. It's very nicely done and is a nice pretty spot too!

charleston is chock full of puritacical bullcrap!

• 2 years later...
I thought at one time I saw plans for this that looked really neat. That was a good 2/3 years ago & then nothing happened. Also, I've seen nothing new about the supposed Central Mt P plan to go in around Rifle Range Rd & Bowman and Venning Rd. I have on the other hand seen another new cookie cutter subdivision type development on Rifle Range called Scotts Creek. Anyways, I hope Mt P can get its act together and bring some of these good revitilization plans to fruition.

Yeah this was mentioned here on UP several years ago :) I'm glad to know they are still working on this. Its unfortunate that they aren't a little more transparent in terms of letting the public know what is going on with it. Still... on step at a time.

edit: I found the thread and relocated the posts here.

Archived