How Did The City Of Jax Look On Nat'l TV (ESPN) Sunday Night?

mwfsu84

I didn't watch, because I was at the game.

I can tell you this: The enthusiasm for the team is coming back to what is was during the playoff years. If you were in the stadium Sunday night, you'd agree. The fans were incredibly loud.

Thus far, the Jags have played three home games, and sold out all three. The Baltimore and Indy game are also close to selling out. There are approximately 1,700 tickets left for the Texans game with a month to go. If you haven't bought tickets yet, don't delay, because you may not be able to.

Anyway, I feel much better about the Jags' long-term prospects in Jacksonville, where they belong.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just talking about the game to a co-worker who was at the game.

I had to watch on TV and would say that we looked great. The night shots along of the skyline and of the stadium were fantastic. They caught all of our best angles.

There were quite a few instances where the announcers had to raise their voices to be heard. The stadium was LOUD! Let's just hope we create a shot at the playoffs.

Go JAGS!!! :thumbsup:

The night game really created an electric (and drunken) atmosphere. It was the loudest game I can remember in a long time. I hope the sell outs will keep Weaver in town (and the Mayor will hopefully help him out too). I had a great time and it was a good win.

Of course, the curmudgeon Littlepage criticized his experience in the paper today (b/c he spent 23 bucks - wow, my tickets cost $240, you cheapskate). He also criticises all new development in Jacksonville. Why does he even live in Jacksonville?? He should live in a one man cabin in the woods of Vermont or something if he hates people and development so much.

The night game really created an electric (and drunken) atmosphere. It was the loudest game I can remember in a long time. I hope the sell outs will keep Weaver in town (and the Mayor will hopefully help him out too). I had a great time and it was a good win.

Of course, the curmudgeon Littlepage criticized his experience in the paper today (b/c he spent 23 bucks - wow, my tickets cost $240, you cheapskate). He also criticises all new development in Jacksonville. Why does he even live in Jacksonville?? He should live in a one man cabin in the woods of Vermont or something if he hates people and development so much.

Littlepage doesn't even mention development in that edition of his column. When he does, it is usually a tirade against Freedom Commerce Center or some other polluting party, and is usually justified criticism IMO. Just because someone believes that the environment should be protected from blind greed, doesn't mean that they oppose all forms of development. I love Jacksonville's neon bridges, but that doesn't mean the river water should "glow" as well.

Like Littlepage, I also have a hard time understanding why the Jaguars are entitled to revenues from events that they have nothing to do with, like the FL-GA game. Maybe, if Weaver wasn't so greedy in his negotiations with the city, it wouldn't have such a difficult time building a fan base.

Like Littlepage, I also have a hard time understanding why the Jaguars are entitled to revenues from events that they have nothing to do with, like the FL-GA game. Maybe, if Weaver wasn't so greedy in his negotiations with the city, it wouldn't have such a difficult time building a fan base.

That is the point I've been trying to make. There was a article today that mentioned the City offering the Jags 9.6 mil for the stadium signage issue, but Prescott, Jags rep, said that the signage isn't the issue. So what is?

He should live in a one man cabin in the woods of Vermont or something if he hates people and development so much.

:rofl:

Sometimes I like what Littlepage has to say, and other times I disagree. Whatever....

It does seem as though the Jags are a little more exciting and "cool" this season. I hope to see Jax on TV more!

Littlepage doesn't even mention development in that edition of his column. When he does, it is usually a tirade against Freedom Commerce Center or some other polluting party, and is usually justified criticism IMO. Just because someone believes that the environment should be protected from blind greed, doesn't mean that they oppose all forms of development. I love Jacksonville's neon bridges, but that doesn't mean the river water should "glow" as well.

Vic: Littlepage is against almost all incentives for business and most development that I can recall (I read nearly all of his columns). I am against the Freedom Commerce Center too and for maintaining a healthy river. This is one reason why I favor additional downtown development. I too like to hunt and fish like Littlepage. But, I am not anti-business like Littlepage seems to be. I really dont see how you can argue that Littlepage is not anti-progress. He himself would probably admit as much.

As for the Jags, the reality is they are in a small market and the economics of the NFL have shifted to the point that they are not as profitable (if at all) as in the early days. In order to insure that we keep them, the City should give them some concessions (i.e. additional revenue from advertising in the stadium). They are a positive for the City and provide all kinds of positive advertising for the City. And Wayne Weaver, while he is trying to make money like everyone else who will go to work tomorrow, has also done a LOT of good for Jacksonville. I really hate it when the class warfare crowd (Littlepage et al) pile on him.

I agree with Riverside about Littlepage. He seems to be unilaterally against EVERYTHING.

I agree with him on the Jags, on the fuller warren, more or less on Freedom Commerce center, and plenty of other things. But everyone is going to agree with him eventually, because he opposes change in almost every quarter but environmental cleanup and parkspace.

I can't think of a major non-parkspace project that he hasn't opposed. He opposed Fidelity. He opposed Vestcor. He opposed The Strand/Peninsula. He opposed the new sports parking garages I think he might have even oppsed the rennovation of city hall! (not totally sure about that one, though).

His articles seem to posess very little weight with local residents (as the do with me), and are to be taken as a grain of salt is the vast seas of common good in Jacksonville. He can't make a name (paycheck) for himself agreeing with everything going on in town.

Despite Littlepage's rants Jacksonville still moves on gloriously into the future. And I say again, we looked damn good on national TV sunday night.

Weaver has asked the fans to do their part. In my humble opinion, they have. And you saw it on Sunday night.

I agree that inflated salaries and other operating costs make it tough for the Jaguars to survive. However, this is a league-wide problem, not just a Jacksonville one. Tennessee is a small market, as is Kansas City, Indianapolis, Buffalo and Pittsburgh.

The real solution to these teams' long term futures lies with a fair revenue sharing system. The profits Jerry Jones makes from his Cowboys mean nothing if they Cowboys have no one to play.

Vic: Littlepage is against almost all incentives for business and most development that I can recall (I read nearly all of his columns). I am against the Freedom Commerce Center too and for maintaining a healthy river. This is one reason why I favor additional downtown development. I too like to hunt and fish like Littlepage. But, I am not anti-business like Littlepage seems to be. I really dont see how you can argue that Littlepage is not anti-progress. He himself would probably admit as much.

As for the Jags, the reality is they are in a small market and the economics of the NFL have shifted to the point that they are not as profitable (if at all) as in the early days. In order to insure that we keep them, the City should give them some concessions (i.e. additional revenue from advertising in the stadium). They are a positive for the City and provide all kinds of positive advertising for the City. And Wayne Weaver, while he is trying to make money like everyone else who will go to work tomorrow, has also done a LOT of good for Jacksonville. I really hate it when the class warfare crowd (Littlepage et al) pile on him.

Being opposed to incentives is not the same as being anti-business, IMO. There use to be a mentality that a business actually OWED something to the community from which it achieved it's profits. The ever-competitive business environment has changed that drastically.

Now it seems every business wants to negotiate every fee, tax or regulation that they would normally be subjected to. At the same thime they complain about the lack of a well-educated workforce and inadequate infrastructure (roads,etc). I for one see a connection between those two things.

To me, incentives simple must be addressed on a case by case basis. There are too many variables to simply make blanket statements. I thought incentives were justifiable for the Peninsula and Strand because the downtown housing market was non-existant at the time. Now however, I would only support housing incentives for historic rehabs, and market-rate units.

I can see giving Fidelity incentives to offset the costs of moving from Santa Barbara, but now that they are firmly established here, they want more money for every expansion they make. That is getting a little greedy if you ask me.

As for the Jags, you make some excellent points, but I still think any concessions should involve Jag game-day revenues. I don't like the Jags complicating the GA-FL, ACC Champhionship, and other non-NFL events. These events benefit the city, which benefits the Jags indirectly.

BTW, I haven't seen it posted in UP, but the FL State/Alabama football game may be played in Jax. An excellent development IMO.

Contractually, the Jaguars have a right to all advertising revenue from any event held in Alltel. It's the city that is reneging on the deal.

Shortly after Jacksonville was awarded Super Bowl 39, (2000 or 2001) the city and the Jags split the costs of the stadium upgrades - the Budzone, new scoreboards, etc. The Jags put something like 50 million dollars of their own money into the project. Wayne Weaver also extended the lease by five yearsin return for the rights to all advertising revenue for any event held in Alltel Stadium.

When the city put out a bid for the ACC Championship game, they forgot about that contract as it pertains to advertising revenue.

The Jags are in the driver seat now, probably expecting the city to offer them a sweeter deal than the one they signed on to in 2000 or 2001. The city has no one to blame but themselves.

Slightly off-topic...

I really enjoy this forum because even when participants have strong differences, the exchanges are always civil and backed with either facts or thought-out opinions. For fun sometime you should check out this forum in my hometown of Syracuse for their solution to differences of opinion!

http://www.syracuse.com/forums/destinyusa/

I'm excited about all of the development here in Jax but being from up north I have also followed the progress of the Destiny USA project with interest to see if Syracuse can pull itself out of it's doldrums. If the persons on the forums are a cross section of the residents I would have to say that the future is not too bright! BTW, if you're not familiar with the project you can find out about it at DestinyUSA.com . If you're into state of the art development you will think it's pretty cool.

Anyway...I watched the game Sunday nite and thought the city looked great. It will be nice down the road when they can actually pan the cameras!

Welcome to the boards JaxVidMan.

You are right about the supported arguments on this site. If you have no concrete backing one's arguments are swiftly discredited. The discussions can get very interesting and you learn a lot hanging around, I know I have. Its rare that arguments/discussions get childish, but it does happen from time to time.

I response to your comment about being able to "pan the cameras" I'm assuming your referring to the growth of our skyline. Your are right about the fact that soon our skyline won't fit in a single shot. I can't wait!

Contractually, the Jaguars have a right to all advertising revenue from any event held in Alltel. It's the city that is reneging on the deal.

Shortly after Jacksonville was awarded Super Bowl 39, (2000 or 2001) the city and the Jags split the costs of the stadium upgrades - the Budzone, new scoreboards, etc. The Jags put something like 50 million dollars of their own money into the project. Wayne Weaver also extended the lease by five yearsin return for the rights to all advertising revenue for any event held in Alltel Stadium.

When the city put out a bid for the ACC Championship game, they forgot about that contract as it pertains to advertising revenue.

The Jags are in the driver seat now, probably expecting the city to offer them a sweeter deal than the one they signed on to in 2000 or 2001. The city has no one to blame but themselves.

Well, I don't think that Jags are in the driver's seat, b/c they have violated the terms of the lease. By violating the lease they effectively have made it null & void and the city therefore, can go back to the table on the signage issue.

Archived