Columbia vs France

Chtimi

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CMSA is now called the CSA (Consolidated Statistical Area)

I don't understand what's the difference between a "Combined" and a "Consolidated" Statistical Area.

It is larger than a Metro Area ? That would correspond a our "Espace Urbain" which bring together the adjacent metro areas. What change for Columbia ? Why not Sumter or Orangeburg in the Columbia-Newberry CSA ?

In the US, these definitions are defined by the US Census Bureau in coordination with the White House. They are based on density and commuting patterns between counties (or parishes in Louisiana).

They recently altered their definitions of how urban places are separated, which caused some name changes of their descriptors. CMSA (consilidated metropolitan statistical area) is the same as the current CSA.

A CSA is the combination of two Metropolitain Statistical Areas (MSA) or two Micropolitan Statistical Areas (Micro), or one or more of each (as is the case with Columbia-Newberry). The difference between these is that MSA's have a core urban area greater than 50,000 while Micro's have a core urban area less than 50,000.

15%-24% commuting to an adjacent county creates a Micro, and 25% or more creates a MSA.

Orangeburg and Sumter do not provide enough commuters to the Columbia MSA to warrant them being included there.

15%-24% commuting to an adjacent county creates a Micro, and 25% or more creates a MSA.

Orangeburg and Sumter do not provide enough commuters to the Columbia MSA to warrant them being included there.

What means the term "commuters" ? The rate of people working in the main city ? You base your metro area on the counties or the municipalities ?

I think with the French (Insee) definitions. Our metro area are based on the communes, if more of 40 % of people in a commune work in the main city, this commune is part of the metro area (metro area less or more than 50 000 inh.). The "communes multipolaris

What means the term "commuters" ? The rate of people working in the main city ? You base your metro area on the counties or the municipalities ?

I think with the French (Insee) definitions. Our metro area are based on the communes, if more of 40 % of people in a commune work in the main city, this commune is part of the metro area (metro area less or more than 50 000 inh.). The "communes multipolaris

I don't know about Orangeburg, but a lot of people I know in Sumter commute back and forth to Columbia everday (That would have included me had I not moved to Columbia). I also see many people I know traveling to their jobs in Columbia on Monday mornings on my way to Columbia from Sumter when I visit my parents on the weekends.

The traffic to Columbia from Sumter on weekdays has become worse over the past 4 years and most of the cars that I see on Garner's Ferry on my way home are the same cars that end up on Hwy 76 in Sumter. :blink:

There may indeed be alot of people, but in terms of a percentage of SUmter County, it is not enough. That doesn't mean it won't be included in the 2010 census.

However Sumter is not far.

This city has an autonomous "centrality" : the two military zones ?

I also count 8 highways around, but no interstate.

However Sumter is not far.

This city has an autonomous "centrality" : the two military zones ?

I also count 8 highways around, but no interstate.

i agree if spartanburg and anderson can be claimed by greenville i don't see why, orangeburg and sumter are not included and especially Newberry. Columbia is bigger than a lot of people give credit to. I guess other cities have to claim close small towns to compare with our Metro. Columbia defintely spills over to almost all the surrounding cities, and the one's that it doesn't quite meet, it's only a matter of time before it does

i agree if spartanburg and anderson can be claimed by greenville i don't see why, orangeburg and sumter are not included and especially Newberry. Columbia is bigger than a lot of people give credit to. I guess other cities have to claim close small towns to compare with our Metro. Columbia defintely spills over to almost all the surrounding cities, and the one's that it doesn't quite meet, it's only a matter of time before it does

I think this is a horse of a different color here.

Yo guys.

Why named the thread "Columbia VS France" ?

No opposition for me. The rooster is a national symbol in France. All our French sportmen have a rooster on the heart.

GO COCKS ! B)

I thought it was the fleur de lis?

I named it this for lack of any better name. Its a comparative discusison between SC's (with Columbia as a reference) and France's laws and situations concerning urban planning. I would be glad to change it though.

The difference is that Greenville actually spills over into Anderson and Spartanburg counties. If you are in Greer, there is no distinction between the two. In Columbia you travel thorugh many miles of open undeveloped land to get to Orangeburg and Sumter.

Also, Spartanburg is its own metropolitan area; it is only joined with Greenville in its consolidated statistical area.

And trust me, there is a LOT of rural, undeveloped land between Orangeburg and Columbia (essentially Calhoun County). If Richland and Orangeburg counties were adjacent, then that might be a different story.

There is a LOT of rural, undeveloped land between Orangeburg and Columbia (essentially Calhoun County). If Richland and Orangeburg counties were adjacent, then that might be a different story.

It's not so simple Krazeeboi. The "physical" links between the cities are good for the urban areas but not necessarily for metro areas or CSA. Spartanburg is larger than Orangeburg. Therefore, Spartanburg is more autonomous.

Cities swallow cities but there are chunks difficult to ingest. :rofl:

That also depends if the main city is 'seductive'.

In my region, Roubaix disputed for a long time the head place of Lille. Lille is a three-headed metropolis (Lille-Roubaix-Tourcoing). The espousal was possible thank to the new laws of "d

I named it this for lack of any better name. Its a comparative discusison between SC's (with Columbia as a reference) and France's laws and situations concerning urban planning. I would be glad to change it though.

I understand, it wasn't a reproach. :rolleyes: I thought at a comparision too.

Anyway I'm amazed that my region Nord-Pas de Calais and your state have the same population number. But according to the US census bureau the population of South Carolina will attain 4 446 704 inh. in 2015 and 5 148 569 in 2030. I suppose at least 20 % in Columbia. It really not certain that Nord-Pas de Calais will attain 5 millions some day, it's overpopulated.

My own projection for Columbia in 2050 is : 1 248 000 people with a direct proportional projection based on the yearly percent change for Columbia between 1990 and 2003.

With a projection (in the current limits) by decade now :

1990 : 542 000

2000 : 647 000

2010 : 757 000

2020 : 896 000

2030 : 1 060 000

2040 : 1 254 000

2050 : 1 448 000

Maybe it's necessary to compare at first our institutions and state that they are similar.

United States of America > 50 states > counties > house districts > municipalities

France > 26 r

I understand, it wasn't a reproach. :rolleyes: I thought at a comparision too.

Anyway I'm amazed that my region Nord-Pas de Calais and your state have the same population number. But according to the US census bureau the population of South Carolina will attain 4 446 704 inh. in 2015 and 5 148 569 in 2030. I suppose at least 20 % in Columbia. It really not certain that Nord-Pas de Calais will attain 5 millions some day, it's overpopulated.

My own projection for Columbia in 2050 is : 1 248 000 people with a direct proportional projection based on the yearly percent change for Columbia between 1990 and 2003.

With a projection (in the current limits) by decade now :

1990 : 542 000

2000 : 647 000

2010 : 757 000

2020 : 896 000

2030 : 1 060 000

2040 : 1 254 000

2050 : 1 448 000

Maybe it's necessary to compare at first our institutions and state that they are similar.

United States of America > 50 states > counties > house districts > municipalities

France > 26 r

This is not correct at all. House Districts are arbitrary political divisions that are only used for the election of State or Federal government representatives. I see what you are trying to do though.

The basic setup is like this:

USA > State > Local (either county or municipality)

So for Columbia, SC you have this:

USA > SC > Richland County - City of Columbia

Its complicated by the fact that our municiaplities are not entirely subordinate to the counties. They are, with regards to some budgetary issues, but they don't answer to the counties with regards to government (meaning they don't elect people to represent them at the county level).

The House districts only for election. Ok.

What about the council/county districts ? Their divisions in Richland are not exactly similar. For example the House district 79 is smallest than the county district 9 (clemson road, summit parkway). Are these divisions important for you or not ?

Our cantons are important only for elections. Concerning the arrondissements, it worst : people don't know why that exists. :lol: It's not an electoral level.

The House districts only for election. Ok.

What about the council/county districts ? Their divisions in Richland are not exactly similar. For example the House district 79 is smallest than the county district 9 (clemson road, summit parkway). Are these divisions important for you or not ?

Our cantons are important only for elections. Concerning the arrondissements, it worst : people don't know why that exists. :lol: It's not an electoral level.

City and County council districts are the same as House districts.... only for elections :)

As for their importance? Most people have no idea where the districts are. The more politically aware might know which one they are in, but would not know what it looks like on a map.

I'm not sure what map you're looking at exactly, but SC House District 79 is a decent size in area. It goes well into Kershaw County.

One thing you may not know is that in SC, all of our House Distritcts are required by law to be equal in population, and have no regard for county boundaries. So you will have many smaller districts in area in larger cities, and many larger districts in rural areas.

You can take a look at South Carolina's House Districts here.

Here is a map for SC's Senate Districts: link

It is my understanding that the arrondissements are sort of like our ZIP codes, which are for directing mail. I know that in every French class I have ever had they point out the arrondissements around Paris as being important to the city.

I thought it was the fleur de lis?

I think I could write a book about the fleur de lis. But it's a bygone symbol here.

The French Revolution abolished all the symbols of the ancient regime in favor of various Greek and Roman symbols. La Marseillaise is the anthem. Marianne is the incarnation of the Republic. The French flag is called "drapeau tricolore" or "bleu-blanc-rouge". The Marquis de La Fayette handed the tricolore cockade out to the partisans of the Revolution, the same cockades that he saw during the American Revolution. The blue and red come from the colors of Paris, and the white is a royal symbol, now these colors are assimilated at our saying "libert

I'm not sure what map you're looking at exactly, but SC House District 79 is a decent size in area. It goes well into Kershaw County.

One thing you may not know is that in SC, all of our House Distritcts are required by law to be equal in population, and have no regard for county boundaries. So you will have many smaller districts in area in larger cities, and many larger districts in rural areas.

It is my understanding that the arrondissements are sort of like our ZIP codes, which are for directing mail. I know that in every French class I have ever had they point out the arrondissements around Paris as being important to the city.

I refer to maps found in Richlandmaps > mapping > County council districts & House districts.

The "municipal arrondissements" are different. There are 20 arrondissements in Paris, 16 in Marseille and 9 in Lyon. These arrondissements have a mayor and a council.

The other arrondissements are directed by a subprefect named by the presidency.

Arrondissements, Top 20 (1999) :

Paris 2 125 246

Lyon 1 406 043

Lille 1 182 026

Marseille 980 082

Bordeaux 979 262

Toulouse 819 507

Nanterre 756 101

Nantes 715 358

Grenoble 696 326

Cr

Archived